Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Lyme and Withdrawals

My husband has just gotten a diagnosis of Lyme Disease. He is still having withdrawal symptoms from Lorazepam. He did a slow taper ending Sept 2010.  He also has adrenal Fatigue.

Is there anyone else in the same situation?  Any advice? Where can we learn more on how to treat Lyme while going through withdrawals?

It's possible that your husband's symptoms are due to the adrenal fatigue and Lyme Disease.  I know they have a lot of symptoms in common.  Is his doctor recommending a specific treatment that concerns you?

we haven't seen the doctor yet - his appointment is in July.

I wanted to know if there is anything we should know BEFORE we see the doctor, so we don't mess up things worse then they already are with the symptoms my husband's dealing with.  I don't know if this doctor knows anything about benzo's..........  I do know he's open to / prefers  'natural' medicine and uses antibiotics to treat Lyme.

I read a lot to learn how to help my husband with the adrenal fatigue and then learned all I could about the benzo's. Now I've got to learn about Lyme also. Just thought if there are any Lymies in the post-benzo world, they might have some insight for us.

Thanks so much!

Hello Researching,

Are you SURE your husband has Lyme Disease? When I was going from doctor to doctor looking for answers to what was wrong with my health (turns out it was the benzos), I went to naturopathic doctors and he said I had Lyme Disease and prescribed a bunch of natural remedies, etc. Long story short, turns out there was no Lyme disease. I have many friends that have gone to these same doctors and more often than not, they all seem to get diagnosed with Lyme Disease.

I'm not saying that all are this way, but many of these naturopathic doctors are using this diagnosis like a regular GP does for "anxiety disorder" etc. You can have a GP run a test specifically for Lyme Disease and see for sure. If he does have Lyme Disease a GP can prescribe the medicine that will take care of this. Of course, if a GP found the Lyme Disease then you can rest assured in that area that he will take care of it. I wouldn't mention anything about the benzo's to him; they are ignorant on this (respectfully).

Withdrawals are tough; stay the course and all will work out (sounds easy doesn't it? NOT! But be blessed anyway; it is worth it). Blessings to you.

William

Was he tested for lyme? I would have a hard time believing a clinical diagnosis for lyme during w/d because the symptoms are so close its almost a match. I would make sure i have positive test results before i would go ahead with any lyme treatment.

Take care,

Dane

My only advice would be to double check the type of antibiotics they may give him. There's something called quinolone antibiotics (?) that appear to act on the CNS, and are very bad in benzo withdrawal. I only know this from browsing these boards, I'm definitely not the expert. But I am sure someone who knows more about this will chime in.

Best-

Libby

Yes, he was tested for Lyme by an MD that is Lyme Literate. We will be working with this same doctor for treatment. I am just trying to be proactive and know if there are things to be aware of before getting into treatment.

We intend to ask for a copy of the Lyme test for our own records.

That's the question now: Are all these symptoms he's been having Lyme and/or adrenal fatigue and/ or withdrawals?? Or isn't it withdrawals at all??  Because some / most of his symptoms are ones he had before starting benzo's. Though he was on antidepressants off & on in the earlier years. 2000 - 2008  He never had problems coming off the antidepressants - the MD's put him on those to "prevent" depression because it took so long to recover. They thought he might have had Mono, though he didn't have all the 'classic'  symptoms of Mono.

I'm not sure what to think anymore!