Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Question for Colin

[ch...]

Colin,

Do I remember reading on a thread somewhere recently that you still have muscle issues as a result of the benzos?

I ask this because during my w/d that was one of the things that bothered me the most.....muscle pain in the legs and twitching throughout my body(mostly at night when trying to relax and get to sleep). I'm still having some muscle twitching on occasion and I was wondering how long this will go on. It must be getting some better because it doesn't wake me up or keep me from going to sleep. But this morning my husband said that I was twitching when I hit REM sleep. And last night was not a good night for sleep. So I'm thinking they must go together.

I'm 4 1/2 months off benzos now. Over all I'm feeling really good but I'm on a bit of a roller coaster........a couple of weeks feeling especially good and then I hit a slump for another couple of weeks.

I know you asked Colin, but I  just want to tell you I think you are doing great at 4 months off...things will gradually improve as you heal.  Colin will have more insight on this particular issue, but you are doing really good.  Keep the faith!

I know you asked Colin, but I  just want to tell you I think you are doing great at 4 months off...things will gradually improve as you heal.  Colin will have more insight on this particular issue, but you are doing really good.  Keep the faith!

And I have to agree!  The tight muscles will go away, I stopped having the night problems at about 5 months off--give or take a little.  My muscles get sore now from walking, biking, etc because I haven't used them for so long but it all gets better with time.  Also, some food and supplements made it worse for me. 

Hi,

I'm far from a yardstick. I have a neurological disorder that involves the GABA system (this is why I was taking Clonazepam). I have no doubt that my protracted symptoms are connected with benzo use and withdrawal, but I have an atypical GABA system, so I might well be more prone to the deleterious effects of benzos than the general population. As others have indicated, you will continue to improve - try to focus on the improvements, not what is still to heal. You will get there. :)

Thanks Janus, ts and Colin,

Really, I'm not complaining at all. I'm living my "normal" life again and having joy and fun in the process. I just have occasional questions as the process continues. I've come so far that at times I've already forgotten just how bad it was........and for that I'm soooo thankful. The downside to that is the remaining small issues sometimes get overblown. I'm learing to live with the ups and downs and even come to expect them. And I'm trying to understand that I may be living with a new "normal" and not the normal I once had.

Thanks Janus, ts and Colin,

Really, I'm not complaining at all. I'm living my "normal" life again and having joy and fun in the process. I just have occasional questions as the process continues. I've come so far that at times I've already forgotten just how bad it was........and for that I'm soooo thankful. The downside to that is the remaining small issues sometimes get overblown. I'm learing to live with the ups and downs and even come to expect them. And I'm trying to understand that I may be living with a new "normal" and not the normal I once had.

Honestly Chickie my friend,

I don't think this is a 'new normal" for you. At least not permanently. Recovery can happen in such tiny little increments that you just don't see it happening. But it is. You will only see it further down the road. You are so much better than you were when you first came here. I see it. I see the tiny increments.

Somewhere down the line you will look back and see the progression of your full recovery.

Love you.  :smitten:     

Honestly Chickie my friend,

I don't think this is a 'new normal" for you. At least not permanently. Recovery can happen in such tiny little increments that you just don't see it happening. But it is. You will only see it further down the road. You are so much better than you were when you first came here. I see it. I see the tiny increments.

Somewhere down the line you will look back and see the progression of your full recovery.

Love you.  :smitten:     

Thanks ejlay. You are a good friend and good friends call us to a reality check when needed  ;D  I guess I've been sitting in the pitty pot the last couple of days and didn't notice  :-[ .  I'd had 3 really good nights sleep and then it all went down the toilet so I was discouraged. I just want all the little remaining issues to go away. I guess that sounds ungrateful for just how far I've come........by the grace of God. I know I've come very far and really have nothing to complain about.

Thanks.......all of you. I love and pray for you all.