Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Dry mouth due to depression?

[Ka...]

I have read somewhere depression leads to higher blood sugar and it causes dry mouth. Is it common during withdrawals?  I am drinking water frequently but my mouth still dries so much that I cannot move it smoothly as its dry mucous membrane sticks to my teeth. Anyone has the symptom and is it such intense? I don’t eat anything sweet or high in fat at all. I’m worried so much if it does not go away because it is intense all day.

thank you. 

Edited by [Ka...]
  • Like 1

Stress certainly can raise blood sugar levels.  WD creates a lot of stress in our minds and bodies.  Worry is only going to make it worse.  I know it's next to impossible not to worry, but do your best to focus on something else.  If you never had these symptoms prior to Benzos, they will eventually end.  Also, not sure if you are still on a Benzo or off?  Peace.

• Love 1

Hi theway2, I’m off benzo, and had no issue of blood sugar before the med.  Ok I’ll distract myself from worries. Thank you. By the way I read your another post saying that benzo damages gaba receptors in our gut then our digestion get worse. It’s easy to understand thank you. So I suppose thats why my gut has gotten worse after depression since I read somewhere stress decreases gaba. Don’t know if this is related to blood sugar issue but I have been feeling sick in my stomach horribly too since depression😞 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, [[K...] said:

I have read somewhere depression leads to higher blood sugar and it causes dry mouth. Is it common during withdrawals?  I am drinking water frequently but my mouth still dries so much that I cannot move it smoothly as its dry mucous membrane sticks to my teeth. Anyone has the symptom and is it such intense? I don’t eat anything sweet or high in fat at all. I’m worried so much if it does not go away because it is intense all day.

thank you. 

Kay156 hi I wondered if you have had a test for sjrogens it's an autoimmune thing dry eyes dry mouth ihave a dry digestive system I got diagnosed 10 yes ago by accident keep going to my gp and she sent me to see a rheumatologist and I had some blood tests and they were positive they can't cute it only manage it I'm afraid 🙏

• Like 1

If you are concerned about your blood glucose levels, can can buy a glucometer and test strips from Walmart. They are relatively inexpensive and monitor your fasting and postprandial BG levels. That might put your mind at ease a little if things are normal. I did this myself a few years back when I switched my diet from SAD (standard American Diet) to mostly WFPB (whole-food plant-based) back in 2013. The little finger pricks you need to do for blood samples to be tested with the supplied lancets are not really painful.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, [[m...] said:

Kay156 hi I wondered if you have had a test for sjrogens it's an autoimmune thing dry eyes dry mouth ihave a dry digestive system I got diagnosed 10 yes ago by accident keep going to my gp and she sent me to see a rheumatologist and I had some blood tests and they were positive they can't cute it only manage it I'm afraid 🙏

Hi,mermaid, I have not have my blood tested for a while, so might need to do it. thank you kindly. Does the immune thing include energy loss? Today I am not gonna do any housework, and just let my body rest as im too tired to take a shower. Take care & Much healing to you.

9 hours ago, [[A...] said:

If you are concerned about your blood glucose levels, can can buy a glucometer and test strips from Walmart. They are relatively inexpensive and monitor your fasting and postprandial BG levels. That might put your mind at ease a little if things are normal. I did this myself a few years back when I switched my diet from SAD (standard American Diet) to mostly WFPB (whole-food plant-based) back in 2013. The little finger pricks you need to do for blood samples to be tested with the supplied lancets are not really painful.

Hi, AntiBenzo7, thank you kindly for the input. I think I need it. 

Hi,  I experience really bad dry mouth too.  For me I believe it is a combination of WD and other medications.  I have found a really good solution that takes care of it and can also help with other issues.  I buy dehydrated ginger (make sure it is not a candied or sugar version).  I just keep a small amount in my mouth like a lozenge and give it a bite every now and then.  It is strong but you get use to it.  :)

Lisa