Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Master thread for distraction techniques

[da...]

[be...]
10 hours ago, [[n...] said:

begood, helping others is how I distract as well. I'm grateful to have read your encouraging words and one day, I hope to share my music and have a blog here too!

Thank you for what you do, it's amazing!

Ns

Thanks Ns, for your kind words, and looks like to me, that you have much to offer BB too.

💖Peace and Healing.

• Like 1

[TH...]

Not sure if this has been mentioned but a technique called 'tapping'. I found that quite useful when panic or anxiety hits. YouTube it.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
[da...]
Posted (edited)

- Get into a room by yourself. Close all doors and windows so that they is no noise distraction. Get a chair and place it so that you are looking at the corner of the room. Put a timer for 10-20 minutes. Stare at the wall. Do not do anything. Do not react to anything external stimuli. Do not react to any thoughts/emotions/feelings. Try not to think anything. Just be. As you practise, you will get better at sitting for longer. When the timer is up, get up and resume daily activities. (From Osho's meditation book)

Edited by [da...]

[da...]

- Learn origami

- Walk in the rooms of your house

- Take multiple baths a day

- Masturbate multiple times :) a day(@Admins, Is it ok to say this on this forum? If not, LMK and I will delete this list item. Please don't ban me. I couldn't find any way of saying this euphemistically)

[TH...]

Music has recently become a massive part of my tapering. I used to listen to a lot of music daily when I was working full time. But now it plays an even more important role. Especially when you find that particular band *cough* The 1975 *cough* or solo artist. Music that makes you just wanna get up and dance or just bop your head. 

• Like 1

[da...]

Thanks @[TH...] for the idea!

For me, when I listen to some song that I really loved in my college/in my younger years, that really uplifts my mood for some time. Then, I listen to that song a few times before moving to the next one in my playlist.

[TH...]

@[da...]

Yeah exactly, and songs back in the day bring back good memories that make you smile. Plus gives you hope that one day you'll feel like you did back then. I don't know how old you are but I recommend The 1975. I saw them live last year in Cardiff, UK. Absolutely amazing band. Some of their songs just make me wanna dance in the street 🤣 

• Like 1

I found out my town has a community centre. I have gone there a lot in the last few months. It is sort of like a café/social club that is open to everyone. 

Maybe your towns/cities have something similar? Community centres, social groups for former addicts, selfhelp creative groups, walking clubs for mentally fragile people, ect.

I will read the newspaper there,  chat with people, do crosswords, play card and boardgames with people. And no, I am not a retiree even though this might sound like an old people's place. 😉 I am in my late 30s, and plenty of younger people go there too. It is a very low demand place. Everyone understands and respects if you don't have a lot of energy, or don't feel like talking much that day. 

Edited by [...]
  • Like 1