Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Insomnia

[dr...]

So, I've been prescribed xanax for sleep since last November, 2022...so a little less than a year.  Mainly because I can't sleep.  Sometimes I can't go to sleep and lay there several hours before I get so desparate that I end up taking a xanax; either that or I am able to go to sleep but wake between 1:30 and 4 am and can't go back to sleep and take a xanax which usually works pretty well.  The problems are that as I go along, I need to take more and more to get the same result.  So, I understand the addiction properties of the drug and I was able to taper using Klonopin...valium made me too tired duriing the day.  Anyway, I was able to stop the benzos relatively quickly...within about 2 months of starting my taper with what I assume was minimal symptoms compared to others.  However, my insomnia is incredible.  I was off benzos for about 1 week and had a horrible night and ended up breaking down and took a xanax and have since taken one almost daily for the past 5 days.  I know I can stop anytime again but the desparation to sleep is overwhelming.  So, my question is to the benzo family is this...How long does it take for my sleep patterns to return to normal after quitting benzos?  I understand everyone is different and that I've only been taking them for just under a year so my withdrawals will be more mild than those taking for 20 years.  My insomnia is so bad, I don't sleep at all whatsoever....if I was able to sleep for 3 hours, that would be enough for me to tolerate this easier.  Please help with some success stories similar to my case.....I really need some hope at this point.  If I knew that all I needed to do was just chill out and be calm with the insomnia and 4 days later, I would start to be able to sleep some....that would be great.  I just don't know if I can handle not sleeping at all for 2 or more months at a time....I think that would kill me...after all, sleep is one of the most important things we do...Please  help! 

This is drkast....I forgot to mention I've tried every herb, vitamin, supplement known to man to help....occasionally it works great and am able to go to sleep but always wake around 2-3am.  I've tried Gaba, magnesium, theonine, happy sleepy powder, valerian, apegenin, kava, acupuncture, etc....

Hello @[dr...],

Welcome to benzo buddies! 

My first question is how severe was the insomnia before you started taking benzos?

Sleep is a great elixir and when it is missing, it can disrupt all parts of our lives. You mentioned tapering fairly quickly, how fast did you taper? When did you complete the taper?  The quicker the taper, especially after taking the drug for almost a year, the stronger the withdrawal symptoms can be. 

Insomnia is a very common withdrawal symptom. I was lucky in that it only impacted me during the acute phase. 

It can take a while for normal sleep patterns to return, unfortunately there is no exact timeline and varies per individual. Benzos do interfere with normal REM sleep, the body has to adjust to sleeping without chemical help.

I would be careful about continued Xanax use due to the possibility of dependence developing. I know you are desperate for sleep, I hope mother members will share their experience. I do believe your sleep will return.

pianogirl :smitten:

I too went on Benzos for sleep.  At first the worked very well, but after about 2 months of nightly use, I had to increase the dose.  After 3 months, I was up to 4mg of Klonopin and 30mg of Temazepam for only an hour or two of sleep.  I did a CT at the recommendation of my PCP (not recommended).  It took about 10 months for my sleep to start to noticeably improve.  I would often go for 3 and sometimes 4 nights in a row with no perceived sleep and I averaged 5-10 hours of sleep per week for months.  Eventually sleep slowly returned.  However, it was very up and down.  I'd get a few days in a row with some sleep, but then another night of zero perceived sleep.  I transitioned into a pattern of some sleep (1-4 hours) per night followed by a zero night.  At 7 months off I started getting consecutive nights of sleep that slowly morphed into 3, 4 then 5 days in a row with 2-5 hours of sleep.  This trend continued until month 10 when I started to get 3-5 hours 6 nights per week.  I thought I was healed.  My sleep finally evened out between month 18 and 24.  I was getting 6+ hours pretty much every night.  7 years after my CT, I still average 6-7 hours per night.  

Ashton says sleep typically returns in 6-12 months for most.  Some take less time, but many take more.  In my experience of being on this site for over 7 years, I learned that the "sweet spot" for sleep is around 18 months.  That doesn't mean your sleep is horrible for 18 months and then it suddenly gets better.  It's a gradual process that is very up and down.  You could sleep well for weeks or months only to get hit with an insomnia wave that could last for a week to a few months.  At least that has been my experience.  But these insomnia waves always end.

Your sleep will return.  Just do your best to not put a timeline on when you think it should or you'll just be disappointed when it doesn't happen.  It was a real roller coaster ride for me and most others.  But it DOES end one day.  You'll get your sleep back.  Promise!

• Like 1

So sorry to hear that your are experiencing that. Hope it gets better with the time. I am a student and luck of sleep is is always there for me. I had a very intense three months , when i slept 4-5 hours at night (in the best case) and after some time started to notice how bad i am feeling. I decided to look for a professional academic writing service https://academized.com/ and get some rest. That worked pretty well and i can see how everything changed for better now.

Edited by [el...]

• 3 weeks later...

Recovering from benzo withdrawal and restoring sleep patterns varies, but with time and support, many people eventually regain healthier sleep. Stay patient, and consult a healthcare professional for guidance.

• Like 1

I don’t sleep at all. I’m miserable and can’t do daily things because of it. It’s scary and idk how long it will go on for. It’s been 5 years for me and I’m lucky if I get one hour sometimes.