Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Mirtazapine

[Ka...]

I have an anxiety driven illness for which I am on diazepam. 
But somehow ‘depression’ has been added to my presentation by several medics/clinicians. Whilst anxiety & depression often go together depression it is not a feature for me. 

I was put on mirtazapine initially by my GP & his reasoning was that my body is tired from the anxiety.
This med did not suit me or bring any benefit. The dose varied up & down from 15mg, 30mg & 45mg. I discovered 30mg is not double 15mg but a different formulation - I think I was told it promotes less sleep. 

After 2.5 years on mirtazapine I was guided by the then CMHT psychiatrist to stop & achieved this over 12 weeks. 30mg for 6 weeks, 15mg for 6 weeks then stopped. Far too fast. 

Only now do I read that it would have been far better to address benzo first. 

Welcome to BB @[Ka...]

I don't quite understand what you are asking here?

You said>>>>

This med did not suit me or bring any benefit.

Why did you stay on it for 2.5 years if it was not helping you in some way? After 6 weeks and no benefit, many docs will simply try you on another one. With ADs, it can be trial and error. I can not tolerate Paxil or Prozac for example, but I am on Lexapro and I am tolerating that one really well. It is helping me taper off the valium with minimal side effects.

Edited by [An...]
grammar correction
  • Like 1

Hello. Thank you for replying. That’s a good question. 

My story is complex. Initially I was put on a benzo in 2018 (to date). AD mirtazapine was added. Then it got more complicated as other additional meds were tried for a time including quetiapine, venlafaxine and lamotrigine! I was over medicated, felt overly sedated and didn’t know what was working - or not. The benzo & AD were kept running by various clinicians. I feel pretty daft about that. 

I got very unwell & was overwhelmed. I reached a crisis point. 
After this I wanted to detox & gain some control and since nothing had made me better. Fast forward I did stop each med one at a time. Out of sheer willpower. Just diazepam now. 

I do agree the AD approach was wrong since I was not depressed & it was not the right med for anxiety. I am more self informed now, have my medical notes & more savvy. 

It is good to be able to share experiences with others. 

Edited by [Ka...]

Was on 3x 2mg. Managed to reduce down to 2mg per day 2 years ago but got stuck. 
It’s low dose. But feel after 5 years in total on a benzo there’s dependence and keen to reduce & stop

Edited by [Ka...]