Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

New to benzo buddies

[Ge...]

Hi, guys, new to this forum.  I have recently came to terms with a devastating addiction to benzos, it started back in January 2011 when a friend sold me some xanax 2mg bars, since then i have gone to any lengths to get more of any benzo i could, and when i have them eat them like candy till there gone.  I came clean with my family and my psychiatrist.  I started a taper plan last wed (outpatient) cutting down to .5 mg Valium 4 times a day.  I will see this detox doctor weekly during taper and these meds are dispersed to me twice daily...the rest under lock and key.  Thank god!  I have tried cold turkey and it was sheer hell, I'm already starting to feel the dosage change in my body and I am scared to death.  reading this forum prior to making the decision to quit these evil pills was a huge factor after hearing horror stories from long-term users and how long and difficult the journey was.  Any suggestions or advise are encouraged.  I am also in a 12 step program now too.

Hi Geekgirl,

Welcome to Benzo Buddies!  You definitely made the right decision in deciding to come clean.  You will find lots of support and information here.  Are you having problems with any other substances?  How fast have you cut down on the Valium?

Draftsman

Hi and welcome to BenzoBuddies, Geekgirl.

I'm glad to learn you are not on Xanax anymore and will be tapering off the much longer acting Valium.  Depending on how much Xanax you had been taking before the switch - and whether you did a slow crossover or just stopped the Xanax and started the Valium all at once - you may well have withdrawal symptoms for a while.  It could be that you have little choice in the amount you take now and just need us to help support you through the symptoms and, if so, that is what we will try to do.  Anxiety and insomnia are common problems and we have boards devoted to discussing what does and does not help with those symptoms.  Take a look around the forum and please ask questions.  We are here to help.

Hello Geekgirl and welcoming you to BB. Congrats on getting your taper started. Just take things one day at a time and don't be scared, I know it is hard.