Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Question

[...]

Hi @[...]

I just read your question in the other thread about how to obtain Atarax.

Atarax is just one possible option, which happened to work quite well for me. But the this was some years after I had already quit benzodiazepines. Atarax is an older, sedating antihistamine. Like any other medicine, there are potential benefits and potential downsides. For a start, it is only good for short-term use as we adapt to its presence very quickly. I still take it very occasionally. I would typically took it for a days at a time, and then not use it again for some months. A couple of times I took for a couple of weeks or so. But much longer than this and it begins to stop working. These days, I might go a year or more between usage. It also affects cognition, so it is not something you want to take regularly for that reason.

You would need to talk with your doctor about Atarax. I am not really suggesting it or anything else for you. I'm just letting you know what worked for me and a bit about my circumstances of use (which is different to yours).

Other members might have suggestions and relate their own experiences. And, of course, there are non-medication approaches too.

Do you take Valium to treat insomnia, or for some other reason?

I started it for insomnia. I really needed pain meds after a serious surgery but could barely get any. So I resorted to the v to knock me out and bypass the pain

@[...] Some ideas: I successfully used an OTC product called Unisom. Their Sleep Tabs work well. I also used CBD gummies for sleep. About 25 mgs does the job. You can buy CBD just about anywhere -- even BiMart and my health food store carries CBD sleep gummies. A double strength cup of Chamomille tea worked well also. As well, calming myself before sleep was a must -- no phones or tablets. I listened to soothing music. Interesting fact: after my taper, "normal" sleep did return and I no longer had to search for sleep aids. Oh, of course I tapered off my Ambien.

Hope this helps.

Edited by [or...]

Does anyone know how long it takes valium to get out of your system completely? I got off of klonopin 10 years ago with the help of this organization. However w the v after 3 weeks it seemed like the tinitis and feeling depressed seemed to peek at 3 weeks.

The V or other Benzos are typically completely out of your system by 4 to 6 weeks after you stop taking them, but that doesn't mean that you'll instantly start feeling better.  In fact, the opposite is true for almost all users that develop WD symptoms.  I went to 4 different ERs over a 6 week period and ALL 4 ER doctors said it was NOT the Benzos causing my symptoms as they "were out of my system."  Little did they know that damaged or destroyed GABA receptors (the root cause of my symptoms and insomnia) take quite some time to heal and/or regrow.  In the final analysis, it doesn't matter if the Benzos are out of your system or not.  The damage is done while taking them and it can take quite a bit of time for most to recover.  Ashton says 6-12 months.  Some take less time, but many start to see significant relief around month 18.  I was very lucky and started to see significant relief around month 10 after my Cold Turkey (not recommended).  Good luck!

• Like 1

I dont really see how to work the main chat. Can anyone tell me what to click on? Sorry not the most tech savvy. Thanks everyone