Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Open Group  ·  447 members  ·  Rules

Long Haulers

Blood pressure medication

[st...]

Can anyone tell me what blood pressure medication are safe for us in wd? I had a doctor just put me on Metoprolol back I. February and I got severely I’ll and almost killed me and have been bed and house bound since. I swear it was as bad if not worse than benzos and then I came to find out metoprolol crosses the bbb and affects gaba. Needless to say I was ticked and am still recovering after getting off that poison. Any suggestions out there for bp meds that won’t affect gaba? And little to no side effects? I have no risk factors such as cholesterol etc but I believe it is just dysautonomia caused by benzos or Perimenopause. 

Thanks Decatur. It seems like the diuretics and ace inhibitors are the most benign from what I have researched?  Do you have any side effects defects with it? My doctor did suggest Captopril. 

I have used "candesartan" for years without any side effects ... we all have unique conditions ... best to follow doc recommendations with these meds ...

• 3 months later...
On 01/10/2023 at 10:24, [[s...] said:

Can anyone tell me what blood pressure medication are safe for us in wd? I had a doctor just put me on Metoprolol back I. February and I got severely I’ll and almost killed me and have been bed and house bound since. I swear it was as bad if not worse than benzos and then I came to find out metoprolol crosses the bbb and affects gaba. Needless to say I was ticked and am still recovering after getting off that poison. Any suggestions out there for bp meds that won’t affect gaba? And little to no side effects? I have no risk factors such as cholesterol etc but I believe it is just dysautonomia caused by benzos or Perimenopause. 

Omg..Thank you so much for posting this. My doc just prescribed the same bp med last week and I feel like death. I was wondering why my symptoms had worsened. I decided to come on here and search bp meds ..and found your post. 

I looked up the others bp meds that replied to your post and theirs also cross the bbb...but they have no nasty side  effects. 

Everyone is so different. I'm confused now on what I can safely take for my newly diagnosed high bp.

If you have found anything that you feel is helping you with bp with no  ill side effects...Please let me know.

Thank you!

You are very welcome! I wouldn’t wish that medication on anyone. In some ways it was worse for me than benzos! Six months off of it and I am still dealing with issues from it although they seem to be lessening slowly over time. Fingers crossed. I am on the lowest dose of just regular propanolol for now and only take it at bedtime and having no effects from it. I have taken it over the years with no issues but if I do end up on a BP med eventually I would go for the diuretics first. So many of them now are made with lab made snake venom or cross the BBB and do not bode well with my system. Definitely do your research. Oddly enough my BP has been a little high but closer to normal lately so my doctor has me on a supplement first. Called HTN180 px. Maybe look into that as well. So sorry you had to experience that. I believe that metoprolol would have killed me. Was absolutely horrid. 

The strange thing is they worked really well at lowering my bp...and calmed my over stimulated CNS. Now off of them I'm feeling the sting. I will look into an alternative that you advised. This stuff is just crazy. Outside of wd I'm sure I would have been fine taking them.

Glad you're feeling a bit better. Hugs