Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Tinnitus coupled with occasional low level cricket noise

[dr...]

I've had tinnitus for over 10 years so that's not the problem. Ever since I stopped Ambien 2 months ago I've had low level cricket type sounds in my ears. It comes and goes and it's not constant. Anyone notice this or something extra with their tinnitus?

I might be the only one experiencing this weird symptom. It's almost as if the tinnitus in one ear breaks up a few times during a second. Mimicking the sound of a cricket. Strange.

So your tinnitus wasn’t caused by taking a benzodiazepine?  It almost sounds like its leaving if it breaks up like that.  Is that possible, can chronic tinnitus be cured? 

I took Ambien but didn’t notice is causing tinnitus like Klonopin did. 

My tinnitus was caused by benzos 10 years ago. I healed back in 2015. Was prescribed Ambien 2.5 months ago for insomnia. I stopped after 1 week use and now my tinnitus sounds different.

It really gripes me that z-drugs are classified as a non-benzodiazepine, this makes them sound benign, and they’re certainly not!  Is this new sound harder to deal with?

Z drugs are just as addicting in my opinion. The first night I took it I woke up disoriented and feeling like a zombie. Sweat dripping from the middle of my back and I could barely stand. I knew at that point I wasn't going to take it longer than a week. Zolpidem (Ambien) is a nasty drug. The tinnitus has been the same for the past 10 years.

Edited by [dr...]

I have the same cricket breaking up sound that comes and goes. Had it before and it completely went away. I feel like it’s a brain thing… not pure tone tinnitus which is easier to manage imo

On 03/10/2023 at 18:47, [[S...] said:

I have the same cricket breaking up sound that comes and goes. Had it before and it completely went away. I feel like it’s a brain thing… not pure tone tinnitus which is easier to manage imo

How long before your cricket tinnitus go away?

It’s hard to remember, the first time I was in tolerance withdrawal and it didn’t fully go away until I realized and tapered off so 2-3 years before it was gone but months after I was off benzos 

I feel as though it's the brain's way of causing hiccups in the healing process. Meaning it's trying to heal a billion nerve cells but it takes time to get around to some of them.

9 hours ago, [[d...] said:

I feel as though it's the brain's way of causing hiccups in the healing process. Meaning it's trying to heal a billion nerve cells but it takes time to get around to some of them.

That’s a great way of looking at it and the most important word you used was “heal”, good for you!

Yes, lord yes, I started referring to the cricket as my friend where I go it goes maybe one or two days out the week it will be very faint. if I could, I would catch everyone of them and put them on the hook. Happy fishing. on a serious side it can be very debilitating. I’m sorry you and everyone else is going through this tinnitus looking forward to a full recovery.