Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Open Group  ·  448 members  ·  Rules

Long Haulers

Thoughts on Lyrica?

[Ha...]

I need to work guys, it's 41 months now. Been refused disability twice and managed to survive on unemployment benefit for 2 years. But now getting nothing and what savings I had aren't going to last forever. I really don't know what to do, obviously I'm in this mess because of meds and swore to myself I'd never take a prescription med again. But I need to live somewhat.. So as far as I can see it I've got  a couple of options, reinstate an SSRI I've been on and off for 15 years or so or try pregabalin (Lyrica). I've reinstated the AD a few times over the years because of what I now know was WD. But the last time after the Benzos it was too stimulating. I'm an aircraft fitter by trade, and it's pretty stressful mentally and physically. Although mentally I'm not exactly great, I think I could push through,  it's the pain and fatigue I can't get past. Trying to do anything physical kills me. Any advice??? Seem to be caught between a rock and a hard place

Edited by [Ha...]

What a mess and I was there also so can relate. I did the exact same thing as you rode unemployment as long as I could then I dwindled my savings until I knew I had to act.  Don’t envy your position at all.  I’m a registered nurse however after my unemployment was exhausted I still was extremely agoraphobic.  Could barely walk around my block without freaking out.  Couldn’t drive was sleeping 2 hours per night but had no option work or starve.  I went from being a director of nursing to my first job post jump was 4 hours per day housekeeping.  Imagine the self esteem I had at that time.  Running a building of my own to cleaning toilets for 4 hours per day.  My first day at work. Knowing I was still struggling with agoraphobia at the time I did not know if I’d have a big panic attack and be taken away in an ambulance and find myself polydrugged in a psych ward.  But I survived and you will too.  Going back to work is what saved my life and got the ball rolling to where I am today.  Back in my current field no more toilets and being able to afford stupid ass shit I see that may or may not be a placebo affect like grounding sheets lol.     It was hard I won’t lie. But you have to be willing to die to escape this madness and at the time I was.  I was ready for it to be my last day on earth if God deems it so and I left my house and went to work. You will too 

As far as Lyrica only you will know wether that is what’s right for you.  No one here is in the identical place or time as you to know. All you can do is give it a lot of thought and realize your life is not completely in your control.  Say a prayer and make your decision and hope that God will have mercy on you and your situation and guide you to the right path

good luck 

Edited by [Jd...]
  • Like 1

@[Ha...]  You and I are at about the same time in our recovery.  I was 42 months off on September 15.   I don't have a lot of pain or fatigue, but I can imagine that would make work really tough especially for your occupation.   Sounds very physical.   I wonder if there is something else you can do, or is that just too overwhelming to think about.    

I know you will figure something out.    I have not been able to work as well, but am doing okay financially.   I am looking forward to the day when I can go back to work even if just part time.   I am starting to get some really good days.    They are followed by some not so good days, but I will take it.   

I am hopeful that very soon you will turn a big corner and the pain and fatigue will be gone!   

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hey mare, 

I dont know where is and what kind of pain you're dealing with, but im dealing with SCI, chronic pain, neuropathy/nerve compression and CCInjury .. .. could be from several things like lung cancer, metástasis,cervical câncer or IVdegeneration and its secondary events.. Or Just benzo withdrawals índuced injury and MS, anyway

Instead of pregabalin, you could try nimodipine which seems safer and works on calcium channels, also pro pentofyline, which you can see moa in the thread i started

Edaravone also seems to work for pain, which I still dont know what's exactly what your kind of pain, 

Good luck man

Edited by [De...]

On 04/12/2023 at 03:25, [[D...] said:

Hey mare, 

I dont know where is and what kind of pain you're dealing with, but im dealing with SCI, chronic pain, neuropathy/nerve compression and CCInjury .. .. could be from several things like lung cancer, metástasis,cervical câncer or IVdegeneration and its secondary events.. Or Just benzo withdrawals índuced injury and MS, anyway

Instead of pregabalin, you could try nimodipine which seems safer and works on calcium channels, also pro pentofyline, which you can see moa in the thread i started

Edaravone also seems to work for pain, which I still dont know what's exactly what your kind of pain, 

Good luck man

I tried a small dose but reacted to it. I can't take any pharma so just have to roll with it

You tried, you mean' pregabalin? I guess you shouldnt feel discouraged to try these, at least try, just got my edaravone today and Will update over There, also got BPAP hydrocloride, guys from pglchem are solid.

I have a friend suffering extreme episodes of akathisia on it. I would recommend against it personally. More meds more problems is the hard lesson I learnt. We are all different and some things work for others that don’t work for me. But it seems for a lot of people when your nervous system is angry more meds make it even angrier. It seems like time is the only healer for this stuff. Meds may dull symptoms but it seems to always come with a price.