Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Symptoms rev after eating. Anyone else?

[st...]

Ok this is a new one for me at 21 months off. I'm now having horrible symptoms rev after I eat. I made some steamed carrots and zucchini to try and be on the safe side. Nope. That reved me up. Feels like glutamate is pumping through my vains. Terror/doom anxiety. Whole body burns including brain. I'm going to try and stick to a low glutamate diet. Don't know what else to do. This process is so weird. 

11 months off. As you probably know the guts go crazy for a lot of us. My acute was horrible. 

Nowadays, no matter what I eat, my heart pounds. Used to set me off. Since practicing mindful meditation I deal with it better.

The heart pounding does come and go over longer periods of time for me, but I haven't been able to tie it to any food in particular. 

• Like 1

Months 6 to 11 I ate more normal. I'm in a wave now, so I'm not eating much.

I don't know but if the first 21 your stomach didn't get you, I find it hard to believe it is benzos now. (We never know) Could there be anything else? Some additive?ect...

Guess that doesn't matter right now just go back to known safe food for a while.

Yeah it's impossible to practice when your revved. Especially when it gets you off guard.

Yes strange out of the blue new symptoms. I've read a lot of crazier on BBs.

Hopefully someone at 21months or more will chime in here. 

• Like 1

This was definitely my biggest issue for the better part of a whole year, then I connected it to meal type and how many carbs were involved, it was always related to carbs and fodmaps for me. So anything like rice, quinoa, starches would flare it, and things like cauliflower ( gluten free pizza crusts included) would just send me, my heart rate, burning, dehydration like crazy, dizziness, the whole 9. 

I developed gastroparesis before I tapered and it got better as I went down, but I realized it seemed to still not be able to process foods in terms of benzo setbacks/ damage, so I had to be very careful and eat mostly protein and just a little ( sometimes the diabetic suggested serving size of carbs). You could also look into splanchic pooling or postprandial hypertension, if you have noticed the same things as me, that might give you comfort. 

I know it's incredibly stressful, disheartening and emotional. I felt so rageful that I couldn't eat almost anything, and I still have to be very careful 4 mos off but I'm hoping it will continue to heal. I also find that coconut water is the only thing that can bring me down from an attack and both regulate my heart and keep it from pounding so bad. 

I agree with @[...] though that it kind of sounds like it could also be something else that could have been a trigger, maybe something else as the originator of this issue but more susceptible to issues because of your prior benzo battle. I was unaware that you were 21 mos off until near the end of my post. 

I hope you find out how to feel better or you heal soon <3

• Like 1

10 hours ago, [[f...] said:

This was definitely my biggest issue for the better part of a whole year, then I connected it to meal type and how many carbs were involved, it was always related to carbs and fodmaps for me. So anything like rice, quinoa, starches would flare it, and things like cauliflower ( gluten free pizza crusts included) would just send me, my heart rate, burning, dehydration like crazy, dizziness, the whole 9. 

I developed gastroparesis before I tapered and it got better as I went down, but I realized it seemed to still not be able to process foods in terms of benzo setbacks/ damage, so I had to be very careful and eat mostly protein and just a little ( sometimes the diabetic suggested serving size of carbs). You could also look into splanchic pooling or postprandial hypertension, if you have noticed the same things as me, that might give you comfort. 

I know it's incredibly stressful, disheartening and emotional. I felt so rageful that I couldn't eat almost anything, and I still have to be very careful 4 mos off but I'm hoping it will continue to heal. I also find that coconut water is the only thing that can bring me down from an attack and both regulate my heart and keep it from pounding so bad. 

I agree with @[...] though that it kind of sounds like it could also be something else that could have been a trigger, maybe something else as the originator of this issue but more susceptible to issues because of your prior benzo battle. I was unaware that you were 21 mos off until near the end of my post. 

I hope you find out how to feel better or you heal soon <3

What do you eat on a given day? Lastnight I had zucchini, some of it was not cooked. I looked it up and alot of people have a allergy to raw zucchini. I must just be sensitive to it. I agree something else triggered this response. I have ibs or food allergies now since coming off the benzos. I hope your issues resolve soon and maybe just maybe we will be able to eat whatever we want in a year or so

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to come on here and say I’m experiencing this to the extreme-terror/panic attacks after breakfast and lunch. It’s been happening 6 months. Originally from ssri withdrawal now tapering off benzo and getting worse. Idk how to keep tapering like this 

1 hour ago, [[R...] said:

@[Ma...] do you track your food at all? Maybe you've developed a food sensitivity?

It doesn’t matter what I eat. Iv tried everything. It’s digestion itself