Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Relapse of symptoms after two years benzo off

[Be...]

Hi everyone,

I am really confused and wanted to know if symptoms of benzo withdrawal can comeback again after two years off benzo use only after consuming aerated cold drinks.

I stopped taking benzo in aug 2021, then I had numerous withdrawal symptoms from chest pain to head pressure. You name it I had it. Eventually my symptoms were nearly gone after may 2022 and started having full windows and health was steady too. 

But after year of nearly no symptoms I consumed aerated cold drink this month and boom symptoms are back. Head pressure, chest heaviness like elephant sitting on my chest, muscle pain and swelling and rib cage pain. 

Can someone tell me if it's possible to get symptoms again just by drinking aerated soft drink? I am so scared, it's like my nightmare is back. I went through blood tests but nothing came. Even my blood pressure and all is under control.

Pls help me. I feel like I will have heart attack all time. And weird thoughts running miles per second. If anyone had encountered such issue please tell me. I think I am going crazy.

Looking forward to others replies I’m at 13 months myself and experiencing everything you’re talking about.

Edited by [Gr...]
Wording
  • Like 2

@[Be...], I haven’t read other members discuss carbonated drinks as causing a setback, but many will talk about sugar being a problem.  But before we go there, have you had a stressful event in the last few weeks, have you been ill?

18 minutes ago, [[G...] said:

Looking forward to others replies I’m at 13 months myself and experiencing everything you’re talking about.

Ohh my .. I hope everything gets better for us

15 minutes ago, [[P...] said:

@[Be...], I haven’t read other members discuss carbonated drinks as causing a setback, but many will talk about sugar being a problem.  But before we go there, have you had a stressful event in the last few weeks, have you been ill?

I wasn't ill at all infact I was completely fine before. But what actually happened is we have very hot and humid climate right now so I thought to have carbonated drink and I consumed a good amount for a week. Then I had slight stomach issue and all symptoms are back with bang. 

Regarding stress yeah I did have stressful issue but after consuming drinks. Does that mean both got combined? 

I really don't know what to think. 

I am at almost 14 months off and just had a stressful event and the stressful event has me so down and out.

The stressful event made me overdose on my own adrenaline.  The headache and nausea and lack of focus happened all at once.   I was sabotaging myself by producing way to much adrenaline.  It is going to take days for me to be ok.

you cannot get stressed out at 14 months off.

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, [[P...] said:

I am at almost 14 months off and just had a stressful event and the stressful event has me so down and out.

The stressful event made me overdose on my own adrenaline.  The headache and nausea and lack of focus happened all at once.   I was sabotaging myself by producing way to much adrenaline.  It is going to take days for me to be ok.

you cannot get stressed out at 14 months off.

Oh no. So what are you doing in such situation?

I consider stress to be the number one contributor to increased symptom severity, so I’d place the blame on the stress you had around the same time.

From what I’ve seen, setbacks do happen but they don’t put you back to square one even though it feels like it.  The duration is much shorter, in fact, you could start feeling better within days, I hope so. 

6 hours ago, [[P...] said:

I consider stress to be the number one contributor to increased symptom severity, so I’d place the blame on the stress you had around the same time.

From what I’ve seen, setbacks do happen but they don’t put you back to square one even though it feels like it.  The duration is much shorter, in fact, you could start feeling better within days, I hope so. 

I really hope that too @[Pa...] because it really scares me alot. Chest pain make my nights uncomfortable. Like now also I am awake in middle of night due to uncomfortable feeling in my chest. So do you think I should go to cardiologist?? Sometimes I feel these people have done great job in making buisness. The drug they gave me for anxiety costs 1/100th of total I paid till now for all others tests just to check what's wrong with my body. Nice buisness model 😒

I agree @[Be...], we’ve kept the medical profession in business getting all of these tests but its always a good idea to get checked out if you’re concerned.  Do you have a history of heart problems? 

1 hour ago, [[P...] said:

I agree @[Be...], we’ve kept the medical profession in business getting all of these tests but its always a good idea to get checked out if you’re concerned.  Do you have a history of heart problems? 

I agree but the panic these symptoms create and amount of financial burden it gives is problematic. To add more the emotional rollercoaster one have to go through is worst. I am totally in favor of regular checkup and I used to do so myself before this COVID and benzo trauma but giving wrong medications or prolonging issues just to get buisness is not right. 

I have family history of heart problems dad, uncle's and grandpa,  so I am more concerned. 

1 hour ago, [[P...] said:

Benzopatient:  I just get really quiet and lay low and will try to put things into perspective once I feel better.

I become more hysteric and talk non stop and cry over everything. Total reverse I guess

The problem is, the more we panic, the worse our symptoms become, its a vicious cycle.  With your family history I can understand your concern, it might help relieve some of your stress if you did see your cardiologist.  But the financial burden is a concern too, I wish I knew what you should do, do you have family you can talk to about your options? 

I guess you ar right about being in panic mode make it worse but I guess the symptoms forces me to panic. Now when I was completely fine it suddenly came back and I felt my whole efforts earlier went in vain. I have given blood for tests for now then will visit cardiologist. My mom is with me and she helped with my earlier episode and now again she is with me. Sometimes I feel myself burden on her. It should be me who should take care of her in this age of hers not other way. I feel like crying again and again. 

I’m grateful to know your Mom is with you, and I’m sure she’s happy she can be there for you.  I hope your lab tests reveal a clean bill of health and you don’t have to see your doctor but I’m glad you recognize how detrimental stress can be to our recovery.  It would be nice if we could just turn it off but the drug keeps our fear at an all time high. 

Actually my major fear and concern had been seeing doctors as I don't trust them anymore. Because of their negligence I lost my father in COVID and their medicine on me reacted reverse. that was the start of our misery. I hate them and I really don't trust them a bit. It's all money making buisness for them. 

I can see you’ve got good reason to feel the way you do, I’m very sorry to hear about your father. 

I see you described your chest pain as an elephant sitting on your chest, that’s how I used to describe it.  It never scared me but it was uncomfortable but then I don’t have heart problems in my family.  I wonder if you could allow yourself some time before going to the doctor to see if things settle down? 

Hmm. I got my blood results and there was nothing wrong with heart but there is inflammation. And no one can explain why 😭

Do you think benzo can cause it too?

Today my symptoms have been reduced. I could sleep last night for real. Even if it was for few hours but deep sleep.

I’m happy to hear you got some rest, I wonder if this episode is on its way out, setbacks are typically short lived, comparatively speaking. 

I wonder how long you’ve had the inflammation, have you had a viral infection recently?  I was just reading about these tests, there appears to be a bit of controversy about their use.  Does your doctor have a next step in mind? 

Edited by [Pa...]
Stupid autocorrect

Thank you, I really hope this episode ends soon but question is why it pained in chest only like a heart attack? 

Information meaning? I told you I was a COVID patient and I was caught by delta variant. After which I had series of anxiety attacks which led to this benzo nightmare. 

Whenever I tell a doc that I was COVID patient. They will be like we don't know what can be the issue as we still don't know completely about this disorder. Sometimes I feel like they are more dumber than I imagine. All they want people like me is to keep visiting them and keep paying them. They don't want patient to get fit enough to never come back to them.

I am tired of changing docs. I feel they shud surrender and leave job. Useless people

Hey @[Be...], stupid autocorrect changed the word from inflammation to information, sorry about that.  I read Covid can cause inflammation, I’d suspect that before benzodiazepines.  I do know that chest pain is pretty common, maybe since you do have inflammation you’re more likely to feel chest symptoms.  I wish we knew more about all of this. 

I know you’ve had it rough but there are good and bad doctors, I hate to see you give up on the entire profession when there may come a time when you’ll need one. Hopefully, you can find someone you can trust. 

COVID was the reason behind inflammation for sure but after anxiety attacks benzo started and that magnified my already worst state. 

Today morning again I felt a bit pressure on chest but manageable. 

You know there was a time when I used to respect and trust docs alot. But what I saw during COVID made me feel disgusted by them. They all care about their monthly targets and money afterwards. Afterall why will they care? It's not their family member who is dying right? They know everyone will fall ill and they have to come to them no matter what and this is serious level of exploitation. They have ruined this noble profession. 

I know I need to see them one day or other but I doubt I can ever blindly follow them ever again. 

Hi benzo patient 

I've come across many young people up at ane with chest pains since the covid injections I myself suffer from them I had a bad allergic reaction to both jabs but not the booster but if your really worried go see your gp or emergency dept hope you feel better soon 🧜‍♀️

@[me...] thanks for that information. Actually when first time this pain happened I didn't had vaccine. Now I think may be vaccine worsened my issue. I visited my gp and to tell you I have gone to so many people but come up empty handed. But will keep searching reason apart from benzo. Thank you once again