Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Anyone experienced succes with reinstating low dose or low dose of Ssri?

[Du...]

Hello, 

I'm well aware now of the risks, caution and individuality of cases. But I'm specificaly looking for people who had Succes with starting a very low dose of Ssri (citalopram 2-5mg).

Last dose of valium taken 3th of august, after 8 weeks fast taper 

Edited by [Du...]
Change of options
  • Like 1

The thread listed below contains information about reinstatement. If you look at the second post, the member mentions they had  success with reinstatement. I don't know their story as this was very long ago, but click on their avatar and search their posts.

• Like 1

You'll generally find that people that do reinstate successfully don't hang around the boards. But I just wanted to chime in and say 5mg of citalopram isn't "a very low dose". Even that could be too much. I think survivingantidepressants suggest more like 1mg or less. As you said everyone is different, but it's better to be able to increase than cause a setback. 

On a personal note I've been on and off citalopram many times. The last time after a month of Valium and it was very stimulating. 

• Like 1

On 23/09/2023 at 22:45, [[H...] said:

You'll generally find that people that do reinstate successfully don't hang around the boards. But I just wanted to chime in and say 5mg of citalopram isn't "a very low dose". Even that could be too much. I think survivingantidepressants suggest more like 1mg or less. As you said everyone is different, but it's better to be able to increase than cause a setback. 

On a personal note I've been on and off citalopram many times. The last time after a month of Valium and it was very stimulating. 

Thanks, 

So you mean you did try low dose of citalopram, while protracted from Valium? 

Was it stimulating just in the first weeks for you, or permanently? 

36 minutes ago, [[D...] said:

Thanks, 

So you mean you did try low dose of citalopram, while protracted from Valium? 

Was it stimulating just in the first weeks for you, or permanently? 

My story is a bit more complicated than that unfortunately. I stopped the citalopram and a few weeks later wasn't sleeping well and had some muscle pain. Obviously looking back it was WD, but doctor gave me Valium. Stopped that and felt worse so went back on the citalopram for a few months, but I just kept getting worse even at 5mg. I couldn't work out what was going on and convinced I had some rare disease.So another script of Valium which made me depressed, so tried a different AD, then a different Benzo etc etc over a 2 year period, until the shit really hit the fan, I found this place and realised what had been happening.

12 hours ago, [[H...] said:

My story is a bit more complicated than that unfortunately. I stopped the citalopram and a few weeks later wasn't sleeping well and had some muscle pain. Obviously looking back it was WD, but doctor gave me Valium. Stopped that and felt worse so went back on the citalopram for a few months, but I just kept getting worse even at 5mg. I couldn't work out what was going on and convinced I had some rare disease.So another script of Valium which made me depressed, so tried a different AD, then a different Benzo etc etc over a 2 year period, until the shit really hit the fan, I found this place and realised what had been happening.

Thanks for clearing that up. Sorry to hear that you've had a tough ride so far.

I've had experience with zoloft last year, which also did not make me feel better and looking back my dose was way too high, tapering down on that made me feel better each step down. Afterwards quicktapered the benzos, which was not a good idea, but followed doctors protocol.

In general I get recommendations that low dose of Ssri can take some depression/anxiety away. For now still trying to get trough without, but it's in the back of my mind. 

It's understandable @[Du...], we all want this to go away. Doctors have a lot to answer for with their quick tapers, they truly are clueless when it comes to the drugs they're quick to dish out, as a general rule.

Hope you get some relief soon

• Like 1

@[Du...] I once had a Dr I trust tell me reinstatement of a particular SRRI won't work after you've tapered it off already, that is why they prescribe you a different one if you're having trouble with wds. It's like the body is already used to the particular medication and won't respond to it anymore, something comparable to becoming inmune and then causing an adverse reaction. This all makes me think we're all better off following the adage of The only way out is through.

Believe me I know how soul-crushing the hells of benzo wd can be but I'm very reluctant to experiment with new substances that can make everything worse and longer. If you can, try to work on coping skills instead.

• Like 1

Hi I agree with ,Bmom I was put on antidepressants 100mg and I feel terrible now I have to come off sertraline and clonazapam I'm so scared as I'm not well on top of this

On 23/09/2023 at 11:57, [[D...] said:

Hello, 

I'm well aware now of the risks, caution and individuality of cases. But I'm specificaly looking for people who had Succes with starting a very low dose of Ssri (citalopram 2-5mg).

Last dose taken 3th of august

@[Du...]

I had success with reinstating a low dose of SSRI. I would be cautious with what they say on Surviving Antidepressants. They are NOT doctors. They can be quite orthodox. 

Here  is a comparison table of basic SSRIs. I had success with reinstating 2.5 mg of fluoxetine, while my pdoc roared with laughter. Cause he believed I should be on 80 mg. Given my dual diagnosis and benzo dependence.

He wrote me an Rx for 20 mg Prozac capsules, and refused to write a script for 10 mg fluoxetine tablets, which could be split in four. I had to go to another psychiatrist (my present one) to get that Rx.

I went back on fluoxetine 2.5 mg several times in my life and it always was a good decision. Idk citalopram, but guess they are similar. At least in equivalency, as you can see above. Citalopram is also more calming.

I split the pill in four quarters and lasted several months on 2.5 mg, till I stabilized. The first month is practically a shock for your body and you need to get used to this new extremely potent medicine and it’s side effects.

The next month you slowly start to stabilize. Only after about two months on the same dose of an SSRI, it’s reasonable to resume tapering the benzo. This is my experience.

One month on an SSRI is not enough. Some people even need more benzos, as they serve as a buffer against the nasty SSRI’s sxs. Then it becomes easier and easier to taper the benzo. Granted you were given the right SSRI. This is my experience.

I’m afraid @[Ha...] could stop his SSRI too soon. Cause these meds in the beginning are no fun AT ALL. One has to go through the hell of side effects. While with the BZD it’s possible to experience some kind of honeymoon, unless you’re kindled. Whatever you decide. Always consult with your pdoc and listen to your body. No rash decisions. Wishing you the best of luck❤️

Paula

• Like 1

1 hour ago, [[E...] said:

@[Du...]

I had success with reinstating a low dose of SSRI. I would be cautious with what they say on Surviving Antidepressants. They are NOT doctors. They can be quite orthodox. 

Here  is a comparison table of basic SSRIs. I had success with reinstating 2.5 mg of fluoxetine, while my pdoc roared with laughter. Cause he believed I should be on 80 mg. Given my dual diagnosis and benzo dependence.

He wrote me an Rx for 20 mg Prozac capsules, and refused to write a script for 10 mg fluoxetine tablets, which could be split in four. I had to go to another psychiatrist (my present one) to get that Rx.

I went back on fluoxetine 2.5 mg several times in my life and it always was a good decision. Idk citalopram, but guess they are similar. At least in equivalency, as you can see above. Citalopram is also more calming.

I split the pill in four quarters and lasted several months on 2.5 mg, till I stabilized. The first month is practically a shock for your body and you need to get used to this new extremely potent medicine and it’s side effects.

The next month you slowly start to stabilize. Only after about two months on the same dose of an SSRI, it’s reasonable to resume tapering the benzo. This is my experience.

One month on an SSRI is not enough. Some people even need more benzos, as they serve as a buffer against the nasty SSRI’s sxs. Then it becomes easier and easier to taper the benzo. Granted you were given the right SSRI. This is my experience.

I’m afraid @[Ha...] could stop his SSRI too soon. Cause these meds in the beginning are no fun AT ALL. One has to go through the hell of side effects. While with the BZD it’s possible to experience some kind of honeymoon, unless you’re kindled. Whatever you decide. Always consult with your pdoc and listen to your body. No rash decisions. Wishing you the best of luck❤️

Paula

I've been on and off citalopram 4 or 5 times over the past 18 years. I normally find it very calming straight away and never had an issue reinstating up to 40mg. It was only after taking a Benzo did I find it stimulating and I remained on it for months never getting past 5mg. SSRIs don't mix well with BWD IMHO, hence my comment on 5mg not being a very low dose for someone in WD. 

Your dose sounds about right according to survivingantidepressants, who recommended 1/10 of a standard dose or less I believe.

• Like 1

On 30/09/2023 at 18:12, [[H...] said:

I've been on and off citalopram 4 or 5 times over the past 18 years. I normally find it very calming straight away and never had an issue reinstating up to 40mg. It was only after taking a Benzo did I find it stimulating and I remained on it for months never getting past 5mg. SSRIs don't mix well with BWD IMHO, hence my comment on 5mg not being a very low dose for someone in WD. 

Your dose sounds about right according to survivingantidepressants, who recommended 1/10 of a standard dose or less I believe.

@[Ha...]

It's hugely interesting what you wrote. I never took citalopram, but was on a low dose of escitalopram (10-15mg). Which would equal to 10-15 mg of citalopram. I wasn't on much BZD then. Except for crumbs of Ambien for sleep prn. I counted my weekly dosage, which amounted to 2-3 pills a week. Life circumstances were also "perfect". I was happily married and working a full-time  job, earning lots of money. The job was too demanding for my health, but we needed the money.

The Lexapro (escitalopram) was extremely calming for me, too calming. I had no problem with social functioning. Despite my usual intense social anxiety which dates back from well before the BZD.

My dependendence on Ambien was more psychological than physical, I think. Escitalopram had one hell of side effects. I drank several cups of coffee a day, because of the drowsiness and fatigue.

It also made me manic (I became a shopaholic), maybe the dose was too high. Ruined my skin, as I have an oily one. I think of it as a good med for socializing, working with people, if you must take ADs. But not improving the cognitive function enough, not staying alert enough.

Fluoxetine gives me this "chemical anxiety", independent of the BZD. But makes my mind sharper and my functioning more efficient. I mean ideally, my mind would be the sharpest without any meds, but I am a terribly self-destructive person.

With a dual dx - my original illness started well before any psychiatric meds and had a very drastic course, with hospitals etc. along the way. No matter how I hate the sxs of fluoxetine, I started to trust one of my first pdocs, who said that "I needed it like a diabetic needs insulin". It hurts not to be healthy, but I can only accept it and try to do my best with this terribly imperfect life.

Edited by [Es...]
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just to follow up on this, if it might help others:

I tried 1 drop (1mg) of Lexapro (starting dose is normally 5mg) for 5 days. Made symptoms way worse and unbareable. Had to stop. I even had to call crisis care. After stopping, symptoms went back to baseline within a few days. 

You can always have a gene test done to see what medications you are compatible with…

Also, if you do decide to start an A/D maybe begin with a microdose.