Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Open Group  ·  448 members  ·  Rules

Long Haulers

Microdosing fluoxetine (prozac) experiences?

[gt...]

Hi all! 26 months out here and still dealing with some protracted issues. After spending a solid 1.5 years or so touching nothing that should set me back and not seeing much progress in the past 6 months I am starting to consider options. Does anyone have experience with < 10 mg of prozac per day while protracted? I am considering trying 1-5 mg per day for the neurosteroid/neuroplasticity benefits, but I do see where there fluoxetine acts as a GABA(A) positive modulator and that has me concerned. If anyone has tried fluoxetine for a short time (or currently on it) while protracted, please let me know if you experience any current issues or if you feel like it set you back. Thanks everyone!

@[gt...] I tried exactly the same thing for a while, during the first year or year and a half after I finished my taper, because I was feeling a little depressed. It did nothing but give me that weird feeling you get with fluoxetine. So I stopped taking it and just continued with my recovery: ups and downs, waves and windows, same as before. For me, an occasional cup of hot chocolate did a lot more to ease the depression - or what I called the crazy blues, because it was weirder than depression. Is that what you're dealing with?

Thanks @[re...]. I do have some depression, but no more than most people who were dealing with recovery for this long I think. I haven't really seen any movement in six months. If what I still occasionally have could be classified as a wave, it maybe lasts an hour. I'm currently stuck with a handful of issues, mainly muscle and nerve pain, floaters and difficulty focusing, some dizziness, occasional DR, fatigue and a higher than normal anxiety response. I still wake up feeling horrible usually, but it subsides within 15-30 minutes and there is really no change in symptoms otherwise, unless I consume a lot of glutamate in foods and there is a flare up. This all changed around 19-20 months when the waves stopped coming and I felt noticeably better. Now it just seems like neurological damage instead of withdrawal. Coffee helps for whatever reason and I consume a lot of it these days, which could at least explain some of the anxiety issues. Anyway, I feel like maybe there's something out there that could at least push me in the right direction to finally heal. 

@[gt...] Except for the DR, I had all the same symptoms - even the waking up feeling horrible but normalizing within 15-30 minutes. And coffee helped me too. I think recovery slows down over time, but it continues less noticeably. After the first couple years, I didn't notice improvements over the months, but only year over year. I found myself wishing I'd kept a detailed journal of my symptoms so that I'd have a better recall of exactly what my symptoms were, and how severe they were, a year or two earlier. Are you doing that?

Edited by [re...]

I keep hoping that I'm on the last year :). I haven't kept a journal. Sometimes I wish I did, but I'll be glad to hopefully put all of it behind me. How are you doing now? 

@[gt...] - As far as benzo withdrawal goes, I'm in good shape, 99.44% recovered, still maybe just a bit sensitive to stress, and even that's fading.
So now I can focus on other health problems. ??? Life goes on, brah.

• 2 months later...
On 22/09/2023 at 08:23, [[g...] said:

Hi all! 26 months out here and still dealing with some protracted issues. After spending a solid 1.5 years or so touching nothing that should set me back and not seeing much progress in the past 6 months I am starting to consider options. Does anyone have experience with < 10 mg of prozac per day while protracted? I am considering trying 1-5 mg per day for the neurosteroid/neuroplasticity benefits, but I do see where there fluoxetine acts as a GABA(A) positive modulator and that has me concerned. If anyone has tried fluoxetine for a short time (or currently on it) while protracted, please let me know if you experience any current issues or if you feel like it set you back. Thanks everyone!

What symptoms do you have that you do not see progress?. Prozac is a horrible drug in my experience i took it for years and it stimulated me and made me feel very sick. Furthermore Prozac causes permanent brain damage like all psychiatric drugs. There is a reason why many of us are on this site suffering long term or permanent neurological damage to our brains and nervous systems from these drugs.

The evidence is clear even in the British Medical Journal:

We know that antipsychotics shrink the brain in a dose dependent manner and benzodiazepines, antidepressants and ADHD drugs also seem to cause permanent brain damage. Leading psychiatrists and the drug industry usually say that it is the disease that destroys people’s brain, but it is very likely the drugs that do it, which also animal studies have found.

If animal studies have found brain damage from psychiatric drugs it's also true it happens in humans as well.

https://www.bmj.com/content/349/bmj.g5312/rr/775731

Myself, i would never use any psychotropic drug for the rest of my life.

Edited by [Sc...]

3 hours ago, [[S...] said:

What symptoms do you have that you do not see progress?. Prozac is a horrible drug in my experience i took it for years and it stimulated me and made me feel very sick. Furthermore Prozac causes permanent brain damage like all psychiatric drugs. There is a reason why many of us are on this site suffering long term or permanent neurological damage to our brains and nervous systems from these drugs.

The evidence is clear even in the British Medical Journal:

We know that antipsychotics shrink the brain in a dose dependent manner and benzodiazepines, antidepressants and ADHD drugs also seem to cause permanent brain damage. Leading psychiatrists and the drug industry usually say that it is the disease that destroys people’s brain, but it is very likely the drugs that do it, which also animal studies have found.

If animal studies have found brain damage from psychiatric drugs it's also true it happens in humans as well.

https://www.bmj.com/content/349/bmj.g5312/rr/775731

Myself, i would never use any psychotropic drug for the rest of my life.

Why post such fear and negativity. There are thousands of people that come off of Prozac and other anti depressants ect that heal over time

• Like 1

1 hour ago, [[s...] said:

Why post such fear and negativity. There are thousands of people that come off of Prozac and other anti depressants ect that heal over time

Your making it sound like i did it deliberately. Why accuse someone of things that are not true?. Sure there are some that come off Prozac and other AD's and return to normal but not all of them and the ones that are OK are the ones that take it for a short time at low doses not ones that take medium to high doses for years. If the studies have proven these drugs cause brain damage and the evidence is clear why deny this?. This information should never be suppressed and hidden, it needs to be out there so people can make informed decisions and be aware of the drugs they are taking. This is the problem with benzos and AD's the damage was known for decades but drug companies and doctors hid the truth.

Edited by [Sc...]

I tend to agree from personal experience that AD's are dangerous, though I've seen claims that they were life changing for the better. In this case, the dose was minuscule. After giving it a week, I decided that even very low dose prozac wasn't worth the risk to me. Personally, I felt an exacerbation in protracted symptoms from it, but no set backs. 

I took Prozac and other AD's for years, it caused permanent damage to my CNS. We don't have a Prozac deficiency, all these drugs are toxic garbage and studies have proven the harm they do and the lack of efficacy.

Irving Kirsh did many studies and found they are no more effective than sugar pills but very dangerous.

Edited by [Sc...]

Hey gtheo, there are other stuff that could be of help, no need for prozac, pro pentofyline is one, low dose of nimodipine, and the ones like teobromine, maybe dmpae(eria jarensis) which you find in swissherbal.eu and maybe others, edaravone, which you find on pglchem, bê carefull with interactions, 

How its going with your seroquel taper?