Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Don't think I'll last. Too much for me

[Gr...]

I don't know how much longer I can go on with this. The worst is the facial pain, numbing, tingling, burning. I don't understand why the worst of my withdrawal landed on my face. Something I cannot rest as with an arm or leg. It's 24/7.  I worry this is it. This will be long-lasting like others' symptoms. I am struggling. I'm trying to stay positive, but I have other complicating symptoms. I don't know if taking a Xanax or Ambien after all this time would set me back. 

I am losing faith and hope. Please, someone tell me people have short-lived symptoms, acute types and they get through it fairly quickly. I can't imagine going on like this for months and years.  Help!

• Like 1

Hi @[Gr...]

I took a look at your first post on the site, and I see you are only 5 weeks off after a very fast taper. Generally symptoms are more intense after a c/t or very fast taper, but your symptoms will ease. I can’t tell you when, unfortunately, as recovery can be different from one individual to the next, but they will ease up at some point. 5 weeks is still very early in recovery, and generally those first few months are the worst. However, this doesn’t mean you won’t experience some improvement within those first few months. There are many distressing symptoms members have to deal with through recovery, and the ones you seem to be experiencing are your own unique set of symptoms, not necessarily worse than a different symptom set another member may be experiencing. It’s just that we only ever know our own suffering, so it can never be compared to another’s. I truly sympathise with you for the pain you are going through, but you will manage your way through this. It will resolve in time. 

Try your very best to avoid focussing on and becoming increasingly distressed by your symptoms. I know that sounds almost impossible to do at this point, but it really is true that the more fearful energy you focus on your symptoms, the more the tension in those areas will increase and exacerbate the pain. Try and breathe into your body as much as possible and focus on allowing yourself to continually let go of any tension you’re building up whenever you can. 

You are much stronger than you think you are, and you will come out the other side of this, Grace. 

Hi Grace, I agree with Winter sun, about your taper and the length of time off. You will be OK, any taper is hard, and as you know that CT can be really hard, but the good thing is buddies heal in time. Oh yes that dreaded time is hard to digest, but it is so very true. You are a very caring and supportive person, and you need us now, and we are all here for you. Hang on, there is "Hope" always...even in the darkest of times, even if it is only a kernal, it will keep you afloat. You are not in a race, the healing is going to take lots of time, but you will feel better. Keep as busy and if you can do not focus on how badly you feel. I do not know you personally, but I can always feel your strength in the words you post to others. You have many here silently walking beside you and prayers are for you always. Stay Strong.💖 Peace and Healing.

• Like 3

@[Gr...]

My BZD WD symptoms also happpen to land on my face, in the form of hot flushes. You did a very quick taper of one of the most addictive BZD, Xanax, 0.5mg twice daily. Which would be the equivalent of 20 mg diazepam, a hefty dose. Plus Ambien 10 mg, which equals 5 mg diazepam. The whole would total 25 mg diazepam daily, which is a lot.

I’m converting everything to diazepam, since I tapered and then did the RI of diazepam. Here is the Benzodiazepine Equivalence Table for you. I would actuallyy consider discussing a RI with your doctor, but maybe of diazepam? I’m in no way advising this, I’m just against senseless suffering which may resolve or not.

Diazepam has the longest half-life of 20-100 hrs. And unlike Xanax, no euphorizing properties. I would just forget both Ambien and Xanax. You have already conquered them. Then you could see if the BZD alleviates your suffering. 

The Ashton Manual suggests switching from both alprazolam and zolpidem to diazepam. I was CTed zolpidem in a hospital setting and left with diazepam alone. This was an excellent decision. I took massive amounts of Ambien (zolpidem).

Then I tapered the diazepam. Actually, I wouldn’t have the courage to take any other benzo, this one is terrible enough. The more terrible the benzo, the easier it is to quit actually.

As to SNRIs (Cymbalta), yes it’s for the treatment of the facial pain and could actually help you better than the BZD. But I understand, some people are so scared of SNRIs, they wouldn’t even consider them.

From my own experience, I know they are safer than the BZD and really help with BZD WD. But it’s up to you and your doctor to decide.  

It was just a course of action I would take. The decision belongs to you and your doctor.

All the best. Keep us updated❤️

Paula

Edited by [Es...]
  • Like 1

@[Ka...] Your post: "Facial pain and dry nose" 

I am having something I think is what you were having. I have the pain in the same area as you and I feel as though the drying is coming from inside. I can't figure it out for sure, but it seems just like what you had. It's very painful 24/7. I know I can't compare and go by what others have, but I want to know what others have done for similar issues I have. I put a humidifier in my bedroom. I'm using saline spray and moisturizing my skin as much as I can. I don't know what else to so. It's horrible. Thanks.

@[Wi...] @[be...] @[Es...] Thank you all for listening. I have some kind of weird thing that seems to be one of the uncommon symptoms.  I don't understand this whole thing. I have temptations to take that med again and just face I will be on it the rest of my life, but the other part of me wants no part of what has already poisoned me. Do they make these evil drugs in a way so that we go back on them again? 

I am not sure, but it could be severe dryness. My nose is completely dry inside. I am beside myself. I was told 3 weeks ago I may have been dehydrated. Last week my electrolytes came back low and borderline low. The WD may be drying me up.  I don't know. I am running a humidifier and spraying my nose, but that's just topical. I feel this may be a systemic reaction to the WD. I don't mean to minimize anyone else's pain and symptoms, but I can't explain how awful this is for me.  I try so hard to keep busy, but like I said, I can't rest it. It's there all the time. I haven't slept in 2 days. I am sleeping every other night or so. I am not a young kid.

The tinnitus is so loud, it keeps me up. I get shivering chills. I break out in sweats. I become shaky with tremors. Sometimes I can't sit still because of the pain.  I am afraid I may not wake up.

My face is flushed. I hope my facial skin is not being compromised. This is hard being a woman if it damages my skin or breaks capillaries, after all I've done to fuss and take care of my skin my entire life. Yes, that and the pain cause me greater anxiety.

I hesitate taking anything except Tylenol. I fear taking any kind of antidepressant or anything like the Xanax or Ambien. I don't want to be in that place again. Who knows if Cymbalta, etc. would even work for something like this. The neurologist had no clue. He denied it could be withdrawal.

My family doctor doesn't have a clue. He said the med was out of my system by now and denied withdrawal, even though the prescribing info says it exists.

Please help me understand acute and protracted withdrawal. Does the protracted mean that symptoms show up later one after the acute seems to have gone away?  Mine haven't stopped and I am 5 or so weeks out from Xanax, and I am only 10 days out from Ambien.  Would that make me in the acute phase?  I am not familiar with how WD works. Thank you. 

I hope I sleep tonight.

Edited by [Gr...]
spelling and addition

Yes you're in acute.

Acute is first and the worse for most.

You get better. Not healed. 

Then it's up and down.  

The ups and downs keep getting less extreme.

And either the ups or down can be longer or shorter than their counterpart. But they do continue to level out.

If the leveling out goes on a long time that is considered protracted.

Edited by [...]
Added
  • Like 2

@[...] Thank you. That made it clearer to me.  I just don't want to let something serious go by without having it checked. Especially since the doctor doesn't believe withdrawal, saying it doesn't last longer than a week or so. I say it's withdrawal, but, hey, this way, let him work at finding out what it may be instead, if anything. 

So, if doc wants to test for things, I'm game. I have good insurance.  When all fails and he realizes it turns out to be withdrawal, then I'll take acute withdrawal, ride out the storm, and hope I don't get on the protracted train.  Like, maybe miss that train.

Bad enough my hereditary cholesterol and sugar are elevated so I want to fix them sans meds, yet they keep pushing a statin and priming me for sugar pill.  Uh-uh. Not in my house. (I watch everything I eat, though I don't eat sufficiently and I lack exercise, but hey, I will fix it without pills.) 

I will not allow another pill near my mouth.  Maybe a Tylenol. Werther's hard caramel (yum).

@[Gr...] yes it sounds like you are in acute, and you can not be in protracted, that is far out, you have just recently walked off. I think that you are doing the best you can, during a really hard time, praying that things level off for you soon, but please know that we all know what you are going through, different sx, but we have all mostly been there. I remember when I got to 1mg of Valium, I started telling myself that I would just stay on that dose, but I knew that I did not want to bargain with the benzo>:D any longer, and I am off now and have no desire to ever take a benzo again. I do not know what to tell you about your dry nose, but glad that you are trying to keep as comfortable as you can. I relied on a ticking small clock held close to my ears, one ear at a time, and it seemed to help with the noise, of course you can only do this in your home. I am praying that you will turn the corner soon, and if not you will continue to pull up all the strength you can and never ever give up on "Hope" for your complete healing....in time. Stay Strong.💖Peace and Healing.

• Like 1

@[be...] @[...] @[Es...] @[Wi...] My skin is crawling. I'm numb all over from head to toe. Tingling. Burning. The bridge of my nose is tingling and sensitive as if the skin is wearing off. I put a little sunscreen on the top between my brows and I don't know what happened. It blew up.  I wiped it off with a cool, wet clean microfiber and it's tingling. I hope I sleep tonight. This whole thing is destroying my spirit. 

Everything is weird. Bizarre. All of this, everything that happens to all of us. Too many strange things. Like an evil spirit. I am trying to be patient. It's very difficult. I don't feel like myself anymore. I feel like an empty shell, lost.

If I am to ever level out, has anyone noticed symptoms just drop off or do they slowly drop off or is it a mix?

Ugh!

Edited by [Gr...]
addition
  • Like 1

I called the manufacturer of Xanax to ask them about withdrawal symptoms. I am amazed that the list they sent to me is nothing what the doctors will agree.  Doctors I've seen are in denial and say after 2 weeks it is "out of the system."  Maybe because they prescribe and don't want to get involved.  The PI clearly states acute and protracted, yet most docs won't entertain it. Therefore, they won't help us heal. How many of these symptoms do you have and have you had?

This is what I was sent:

We have received your inquiry and want to thank you for your interest in Xanax Tablets.

In response to this request, please find the below information. 

XANAX may produce physical dependence from continued therapy. Physical dependence is a state that develops as a result of physiological adaptation in response to repeated drug use, manifested by withdrawal signs and symptoms after abrupt discontinuation or a significant dose reduction of a drug. Abrupt discontinuation or rapid dosage reduction of benzodiazepines or administration of flumazenil, a benzodiazepine antagonist, may precipitate acute withdrawal reactions, including seizures, which can be life-threatening. Patients at an increased risk of withdrawal adverse reactions after benzodiazepine discontinuation or rapid dosage reduction include those who take higher dosages (i.e., higher and/or more frequent doses) and those who have had longer durations of use [see Warnings and Precautions (5.3)].

To reduce the risk of withdrawal reactions, use a gradual taper to discontinue XANAX or reduce the dosage [see Dosage and Administration (2.3), Warnings and Precautions (5.3)].

Acute Withdrawal Signs and Symptoms

Acute withdrawal signs and symptoms associated with benzodiazepines have included abnormal involuntary movements, anxiety, blurred vision, depersonalization, depression, derealization, dizziness, fatigue, gastrointestinal adverse reactions (e.g., nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, weight loss, decreased appetite), headache, hyperacusis, hypertension, irritability, insomnia, memory impairment, muscle pain and stiffness, panic attacks, photophobia, restlessness, tachycardia, and tremor. More severe acute withdrawal signs and symptoms, including life-threatening reactions, have included catatonia, convulsions, delirium tremens, depression, hallucinations, mania, psychosis, seizures, and suicidality.

Protracted Withdrawal Syndrome

Protracted withdrawal syndrome associated with benzodiazepines is characterized by anxiety, cognitive impairment, depression, insomnia, formication, motor symptoms (e.g., weakness, tremor, muscle twitches), paresthesia, and tinnitus that persists beyond 4 to 6 weeks after initial benzodiazepine withdrawal. Protracted withdrawal symptoms may last weeks to more than 12 months. As a result, there may be difficulty in differentiating withdrawal symptoms from potential re-emergence or continuation of symptoms for which the benzodiazepine was being used. 

Should you have any further inquiries regarding Viatris products, please contact the Viatris Medical Information Contact Center

Edited by [Gr...]
correction

Grace2023,

When the FDA was investigating the opiate issue, they came across our issue, according to Dr. Josef WittDoering, who was working for the FDA at the time. This is why the FDA requires the warning now, on on benzodiazepines. The FDA did NOT send out 'dear doctor' letters, which was a huge miss, because doctors have been prescribing benzodiazepines like candy, as if they do no harm. They'd never think to re-read the warnings. Why would they, right? Doctors really don't know. They just don't know.

I found the warning under my prescription, online. It wasn't printed out and given to me. It just lives online, go figure!  The Xanax warning you shared is so much more thorough.

All of my doctors thought I was just depressed from Covid or exaggerating. They acted like I was just a big bore, because they couldn't give me a pill and get a 'thank you so much for fixing me'. It's about all they're good for sometimes, not to slam all doctors. But they do push push push medications. I was tested for so many things and on so many levels. I am, apparently, in excellent health with great coping strategies. All this, while I was way past the end of my tether.

I agree, you are in acute and I know, it's unbelievable. I didn't think a human being could suffer that much and live to tell about it. I couldn't believe what was happening to me. It was such torture, inside and out. I'm no spring chicken either and that still worries me, but on the whole I'm much better after a year off. At six months things started to climb up more noticeably. Not to say your timeline will be the same as mine. But I understand the state of unbelief. I just couldn't believe how hard it was. I won't go into details but yeah, it's bad. You won't stay there though. One step at a time, you'll climb out.

This site is a Godsend, literally. Hang out here, ask the questions you need to know, feast on the success stories. Good people here, generous-hearted and safe.

Warmly, HC:smitten:

• Like 3

@[Ho...]   By the way, the taper in that prescribing information may as well be cold turkey. It's shorter than what I did. 

The FDA warnings, black box, etc., are what only the physician and pharmacists see. We don't see those. They should put big red letters on our bottles with these warnings. It is up to the docs to inform us and to take them away before the recommended use is up. The pharmacies should be held accountable to keep a watch on overprescribing. They failed with opioids. I'm glad they are being sued. I felt the CVS mission statement about opioids was a pure lie. 

Have they yet addressed benzos and z-drugs?  Despite FDA warnings, those two as well as z-drugs and opioids are written for the same person. This is absolutely unethical and harmful. There is nothing on my CVS "prescription information" sheet for Ambien that says it should not be taken while taking a benzo or opioid, or with any other controlled substance. I've never seen it on the bottle. The warnings are secretly kept behind the counter. We are lab rats. They don't care. 

I hope there is a day when we can sue the docs who pushed these on us and the pharmacies who let them get that far into our hands.

I am beaten up with this. Having a very hard time. Things happen out of nowhere on top of the pain I am having. I can be relaxing and here it comes, worse than before. I've never gone through anything like this. I had maybe 1 hangover in my life. Like I said, the pain becomes unbearable and I can't function. I was an energetic person. I am trying to be positive, but this has robbed my spirit. 

Imagine what those poor animals are put through with this stuff. Life-saving drugs are one thing, but this is a poison that they torture animals with. 

Be well. 

• Like 1

Hi @[Gr...]

Its not unusual to contemplate reinstatement or a rescue dose to gain some short term relief, but doing so would only thwart or hold up your healing. Stay strong, you will come out the other side of this. Keep a daily journal to jot down and rate your symptoms daily. You would find that many members (after the fact) wish they had’ve kept a symptom journal to track improvements, because it’s very difficult to detect any improvement whilst in the thick of it. It’s only afterwards that they realise they had actually been gradually improving all along. 

I can only imagine FDA have chosen to act in half measures to avoid mass class actions, bring about change without over-informing the public of the potential damage these medications can cause. 

The last thing I would want to do is perpetuate any conspiracy, but, if you look into the the connections between big pharmaceutical companies and politicians, you will find that those in the senate often move on to high paying jobs as CEO’s of these pharmaceutical companies, so you have to wonder what kind of backroom deals are done between Big Pharma and politicians to secure these lucrative positions.  

@[Gr...] you can get through this, will it be easy, probably not always, but you will gain more strength as you go along, I believe like everyone that have posted to you, about staying strong and reaching out to all of us here at BB. Most come here for support and help to get through the hard days and gratitude for the good days, you are much stronger than you think. The sx of post wd and while tapering can be staggering, but in time they do get better. Time, Patience, Acceptance and Hope and Gratitude will see you through to better times. Hang on and do the best you can....when you can. Stay Strong.

💖 Peace and Healing.

Edited by [be...]
  • Like 1

I am not sleeping. I should go to an ENT anyway? Rule out infection. My skin is very sensitive and sore, swollen. Circulation? What if I have a pinched nerve, you know? I am not doing well. It's always centralized around my nose and cheeks, but now my entire face is numb. I don't even see that in the withdrawal symptoms the company sent me.

I am waiting forever for my doctor to tell me what the next step is. My B12 was fine. Some electrolytes a little low. I keep being told it's anxiety. How does anxiety cause 24/7 numbing all over?  How can my blood pressure be normal with anxiety?  I have numbness all over and I am trembling to the point I can't stand for long. It worries me I have nerve damage. How can I suddenly get nerve damage without warning?  From stopping this med, but now while I was taking it?

If I knew exactly what this is, I could manage it. If have Lyrica from trigeminal nerve and TMJ issue. It hasn't been suggested this is from the nerve because I get flares on one side only. Is Lyrica something that messes up this withdrawal?  I don't want anything that will interfere. 

I am not sleeping. I don't know what to do. I just want this to stop. In acute, is there an average timeline?  How far out am I actually for the average? Do symptoms just stop? 

I am in a really, really dark place.  I keep going because I have 2 dogs and I don't want them to go to a shelter. My husband works and would be able to care for them.

Edited by [Gr...]
  • Like 1

Your doctor has simply been kept in the dark about these medications and their symptoms. There is not one system of the body which withdrawal cannot touch. 99% of doctors tell their patients it can’t be withdrawal, an d that’s simply because they are ignorant to the damage these medications cause. 

I believe the love of one’s pet, or pets, has been a major factor in helping many members get though this recovery process. Stay strong, @[Gr...].

You will get through this! 

I wish someone in the medical community would just tell me what this is so it can be treated or managed and I can move forward. If it's withdrawal for sure, then I know I have to go with it. I can't get an answer. I can assume it's withdrawal. According to the PI, this "parasthesia", if that's what I have, comes with protracted. I have to find out. I need to know. It travels to my entire head. I may go to ER tomorrow when my husband is home to watch our dogs. ER is usually useless.

• Like 1

@[Gr...]

Keep going for your dogs. I have a twelve-year old Kitty and I keep going for her. She’s my reason to stay alive. Animals love you unconditionally. Animals are basically much better than humans, this is what life has taught me. Also suffering a lot, but I’m not good talking about it. Keeping you in my thoughts❤️

• Like 1

On 22/09/2023 at 17:39, [[G...] said:

I wish someone in the medical community would just tell me what this is so it can be treated or managed and I can move forward. If it's withdrawal for sure, then I know I have to go with it. I can't get an answer. I can assume it's withdrawal. According to the PI, this "parasthesia", if that's what I have, comes with protracted. I have to find out. I need to know. It travels to my entire head. I may go to ER tomorrow when my husband is home to watch our dogs. ER is usually useless.

I recall when I was constantly running to the ER, all they would do is make sure I was ok and not having some life-threatening event, give me a shot of some benzo to calm me down, and tell me to make an appointment to see my PCP after discharge. It is always good to go to the ER if you think something might be seriously wrong, but make sure before they give you any injections to ask them what is being given before you consent.

OP said>>>

According to the PI, this "parasthesia",

What does the initialism PI stand for?

• Like 1

@[An...] I went to the ER a couple of weeks ago and they looked at me like and said they couldn't do anything. I didn't get to see a doctor, only a nurse. I begged for a Lyme test. (It and some other parasite tests were all negative.) Can you imagine that they were going to send me home without even doing that? 

PI is Prescribing Information. The leaflet that we do not see. It comes with the bottle that the pharmacy has. The doctor doesn't see it, but they are supposed to know everything in those.  Sometimes we get them with something like a nose spray. The small fold-out papers. When it comes to meds like this, we are in the dark. Nothing is on my CVS bottle except that it could cause drowsiness.

OIC @[Gr...], Thanks!  I have seen those PI's in some of the Rx's I pick up from Walmart for my mother. I personally am not against any Rx medication but full informed consent should always be given. Then, the patient has to determine the risk-to-benefit ratio before making the decision should I take this or not.

• Like 1

@[An...] You are absolutely right about full. consent and it needs to be in big letters or spoken loudly. Warnings should be clearly shiwn on medicine bottles abiout addiction AND withdrawal.

The doctor should NEVER keep prescribing anything that the FDA and manufacturer clearly state should be short-term and/or could be life threatening (drugs with Black Box warnings -- such as benzos!) This is stuff WE are not told.

Like I said, the PI is not given to us for many drugs. The pharmacies also have a responsibility to step in and halt any (over prescribed) prescription likes benzos. They neglected to do this with opioids, that's why they have been sued for billions. Rite Aid is filing Ch 11. Good!

Edited by [Gr...]
Should have been Rite Aid not Walgreen's