Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

5 1/2 Years Benzo FREE

[Pu...]

Hello Benzo Friends,

It's been a long time since I came here or posted. But I saw a recent documentary on Netflix called "Take Your Pills: Xanax". Im only about halfway through. But I thought of this community, and I felt the need to want to come here and share a postive outcome. After enduring Protracted withdrawal symptoms for quite some time, several years in fact, I wanted to give hope to those in the struggle. To those who are truly struggling and battling those feelings of emptiness and uncertainly, I promise, You will HEAL! If you feel anxious, scared, lonely, don't give up on yourself! Better days are ahead, and you'll be rewarded with mental toughness that will last you a lifetime. You won't need benzos, anymore! I implore you to not let those overwhelmingly difficult symptoms drown you. Try to remember the positive moments in your life, when you were most happy and content, and keep pushing forward! Even if you don't feel well at the moment, do the things you once enjoyed. Take brisk walks in nature, try to read a book you enjoy, exercise( as best you can). I was once where you were, feeling like this was the end. There was nothing left to live for, after everything I once knew about myself was stripped away. It was a major mental setback coming off xanax. I had to dig deep inside myself to find my why, my reason to keep going. I stuck with my faith in God, family, and sense of self I knew I once had. I sacrified half my 30s to this battle, and guess what, I won! I stopped xanax March 8th, 2018, today as I write this it's September 14th, 2023. I was 30, now 35 years old, and guess what, thats ok! Thank you Jesus, thank you giving me the strenght to endure, and overcome. And I will say this, it all comes back! The person you once were is still hidden deep inside. It's not gone! It's just preoccupied with something right now. Just take it one day, week, or year at a time. The healing is real! The time spent healing is worth it, YOU are worth it! Have a blessed day. And I truly wish you all the Best in your healing journey! 

-John D

Long Island, New York

Edited by [Pu...]
  • Like 11
  • Love 1

Thank you so much @[Pu...] (John) for coming back to write your success story, I needed this today!  Reading success stories was what got me through this, and yours is beautiful, hopeful and uplifting. :smitten:

• Like 1

You have inspired me to continue having faith and hope that my journey will also end in a glorious forever window!

Congratulations and here’s to a long and healthy life🎉🙏

• Like 2

How perfect that you wrote today. Perfect for me! I've been trusting God and asking how long, Lord. I felt like he said, buckle up, buttercup, not yet. At just the right time, you'll feel what is already yours. I've been benzo free for over a year, but of course, as in all of our collective stories, the struggle has been going on for years. There reserves have been tapped out long since.

So thank you from the bottom of my heart for writing. For sticking it out. For loving Jesus and pushing through. I just got slammed with another wave and the fear and emptiness, the sadness and depression are coloring everything and so inescapable except in Him. Your post gives me the courage to keep going.

I'm glad you're happy; glad you're okay with it all! Thank you again, so very much!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Pushing forward, I never really read much anymore but I’m glad that I read this post. 
thank you so very much for this feedback.i needed to believe again and to have hope. 

thank you 💙

@[Pu...]

Congrats on being over 5 years benzo-free and sharing your success story. These stories really encourage others to not give up and keep pushing forward. Would you say you are completely SX-free after 5 years? I am assuming you are now on no psychiatric drugs. How are your daily anxiety levels now? 

Thank you for coming back and instilling hope to the community!  New testimonies of healing are so refreshing and yours was timely.  All the best to you!

• Like 1

Pushing forward thank you a lot.

I want to know how each year progressed. My main symptom is I lost the ability to feel positive , a type of anhedonia , akasthisia and dp mixed due to which I can't  talk also.

When will I get my life back

18 hours ago, [[P...] said:

Hello Benzo Friends,

It's been a long time since I came here or posted. But I saw a recent documentary on Netflix called "Take Your Pills: Xanax". Im only about halfway through. But I thought of this community, and I felt the need to want to come here and share a postive outcome. After enduring Protracted withdrawal symptoms for quite some time, several years in fact, I wanted to give hope to those in the struggle. To those who are truly struggling and battling those feelings of emptiness and uncertainly, I promise, You will HEAL! If you feel anxious, scared, lonely, don't give up on yourself! Better days are ahead, and you'll be rewarded with mental toughness that will last you a lifetime. You won't need benzos, anymore! But I implore you to not let those overwhelmingly difficult symptoms drown you. Try to remember the positive moments in your life, when you were most happy and content, and keep pushing forward! Even if you don't feel well at the moment, do the things you once enjoyed, take brisk walks in nature, try to read a book you enjoy, exercise( as best you can). I was once where you were, feeling like this was the end. There was nothing left to live for, after everything I once knew about myself was stripped away. It was a major mental setback coming off xanax. I had to dig deep inside myself to find my why, my reason to keep going. I stuck with my faith in God, family, and sense of self I knew I once had. I sacrified half my 30s to this battle, and guess what, I won! I stopped xanax March 8th, 2018, today as I write this it's September 14th, 2023. I was 30, now 35 years old, and guess what, thats ok! Thank you Jesus, thank you giving me the strenght to endure, and overcome. And I will say this, it all comes back! The person you once were is still hidden deep inside. It's not gone! It's just preoccupied with something right now. Just take it one day, week, or year at a time. The healing is real! The time spent healing is worth it, YOU are worth it! Have a blessed day. And I truly wish you all the Best in your healing journey! 

-John D

Long Island, New York

Hi nice to here you are a success story. Greetings from Manhattan, New York.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, [[A...] said:

@[Pu...]

Congrats on being over 5 years benzo-free and sharing your success story. These stories really encourage others to not give up and keep pushing forward. Would you say you are completely SX-free after 5 years? I am assuming you are now on no psychiatric drugs. How are your daily anxiety levels now? 

Thank you. Yes I am free from psych meds for quite some time as well. Daily levels are honestly very minimal, very calm and stable most days. Daily exercise is a big help, and my diet is also on point. No processed foods, only whole foods. 

19 hours ago, [[J...] said:

Pushing forward, I never really read much anymore but I’m glad that I read this post. 
thank you so very much for this feedback.i needed to believe again and to have hope. 

thank you 💙

It's good to preoccupy and fill it with positive things. Self help books, or even just some fiction to help pass the time. 

On 14/09/2023 at 21:06, [[H...] said:

How perfect that you wrote today. Perfect for me! I've been trusting God and asking how long, Lord. I felt like he said, buckle up, buttercup, not yet. At just the right time, you'll feel what is already yours. I've been benzo free for over a year, but of course, as in all of our collective stories, the struggle has been going on for years. There reserves have been tapped out long since.

So thank you from the bottom of my heart for writing. For sticking it out. For loving Jesus and pushing through. I just got slammed with another wave and the fear and emptiness, the sadness and depression are coloring everything and so inescapable except in Him. Your post gives me the courage to keep going.

I'm glad you're happy; glad you're okay with it all! Thank you again, so very much!

God is good! He is with you, always, and will bring you healing day by day. Don’t give up on Him, he won’t give up on you. Stay Well! . 

Edited by [Pu...]

10 hours ago, [[S...] said:

Pushing forward thank you a lot.

I want to know how each year progressed. My main symptom is I lost the ability to feel positive , a type of anhedonia , akasthisia and dp mixed due to which I can't  talk also.

When will I get my life back

I cant say for sure. I was on and off benzos both under doctor supervision and also self medicating since 2013. Everyone is different. Having withdrawn from benzos multiple times in the past, I kindled. So 2018 really sparked some trouble for me in the long term. But I learned my lesson. Don't give up and be proactive in your recovery as best you can. Best of luck to you.  

What a strong and beautiful story. Many congratulations to you. Very well done and so important to reed. I am 12 days of and really scared. Respekt to you from Sweden!

4 hours ago, [[P...] said:

Thank you. Yes I am free from psych meds for quite some time as well. Daily levels are honestly very minimal, very calm and stable most days. Daily exercise is a big help, and my diet is also on point. No processed foods, only whole foods. 

Fantastic! 👍I am happy for you. I also eat only a whole-food, mostly plant-based diet with a small amount of fish or chicken. I eat no dairy products, refined / processed carbs, and no sugar except a little fructose from a small amount of fruit that I eat.

On 14/09/2023 at 21:06, [[H...] said:

You definitely have the right mindset. Some days are better than others. It’s an uncomfortable feeling, I know it well. It’s sad that this is the outcome of cessation from these “medications”. Im so glad that my little story inspired you, truly I am. I wish you all the best in your recovery, you got this! 🙏🏻 💪🏻

2 hours ago, [[A...] said:

Fantastic! 👍I am happy for you. I also eat only a whole-food, mostly plant-based diet with a small amount of fish or chicken. I eat no dairy products, refined / processed carbs, and no sugar except a little fructose from a small amount of fruit that I eat.

Thats great! Im more of a carnivore to be honest! Lol. But Im trying to educate myself more on plant based dieting, still carrying around some pandemic weight over here 😂

14 hours ago, [[s...] said:

Hi nice to here you are a success story. Greetings from Manhattan, New York.

Thank you Luna. It wasn’t an easy journey. I was fortunate to believe deeply in myself and the information I found here that healing and recovery would eventually be a reality. Im so thankful for it. I also had the support from family and friends and had the ability to confide in them when things were tough. 

Congratulations on your success!

I've been on Alprazolam,1.5mg at bedtime for 8 years. My personal history/story is somewhere on here. I'm still getting used to the new site.

Anyway, I've made every excuse in the book to not get off this poison and your story is really an inspiration. I keep beating myself up for not starting. My prescriber is no help and sees no big deal being on it. I need to pick at time and start and am going to do a dry cut reduction.

Again, congrats!

• Like 1