Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Smoking

[Da...]

I know this sounds ridiculous because let’s face it smoking is so bad for you. At the beginning of this hell I picked up smoking again after years of quitting. Yep ridiculous but I was soooo stressed. Anyway fast forward to the end of my taper and I think it’s making me worse. I read that nicotine helps some with aka though. Anyone else smoke and think it’s hindering their recovery. Ty

• Like 1

@[Da...]  I did the same thing.  I had quit and started again when this began.  I have AKA, and I am wondering where you read that nicotine helps with it?  AKA is the reason for my smoking.  Trying to explain it would be impossible.  Accepting it is very difficult for me.  But, it is the way it is for now.

Do you have AKA?  Are you ending your taper soon, or have you jumped?

I do not know of any information that states that recovery is hindered by smoking.  The Ashton Manual recommends that 'smokers' do not try to quit while tapering.  But, that is the only information I have found that pertains to this.  Nicotine is both a stimulant and a depressant to the CNS.  So, it is interfering with the NS's natural state.  But, I have not read anywhere that it will prevent the NS from healing in all the ways it needs to as a result of benzodiazepine use and injury.

Having said that, for me, it will be the next thing that goes as soon as this taper is finished.  I have had times of lesser episodes/symptoms...not a full window, but enough of a shift that my brain snaps back enough that the 'need' disappears.  I do not want to have a cigarette.  The mental AKA is something that is truly unbelievable to me...it defies any logic.  I find it frightening.

I realize I am the only person to reply to this post, but if anyone should have any information to the contrary regarding smoking and recovering from benzo injury, I'm sure they will post it.

In the meantime, I will say this for both of us...be gentle with yourself.  I need to remind myself of that everyday when it comes to cigarette smoking.  If you are near the end or have now jumped, you will have the opportunity to quit....again.  For good.  And, you will know when you are ready to do it.

Warmly,

• 2 months later...

I've been caught in a cycle of quitting and restarting for years now. Recently, I came across some assistance for giving up smoking cigarettes on this website: https://www.amazon.com/OXYGEN-breathing-Subconscious-Re-Programming-Hypnosis/dp/196175505X. It's my last hope, to be honest, as nothing else seems to work for me.

Edited by [el...]

No matter how bad I was, I would never trade benzo w/d for smoking. Both are bad and addictive except smoking causes cancer. Please try to find another (healthier) outlet. I am using exercise. 3 (20) min sessions (one hour daily) of mild to moderate aerobic exercise on a stationary bike is helping me tremendously. Just think about it! What if you were dying of terminal lung cancer? Would you be that concerned about how horrible benzo w/d is then? I always try to put things in proper perspective. Believe it or not, there are things in life much worse than benzo w/d that other ppl are going through.

• Like 1

On 04/09/2023 at 02:42, [[D...] said:

Hey. Not smoking per se but nicotine has been shown to help. I'm going to try patches again. 

147C58A3-9B7D-4078-A8C0-3416B5591712.png

That's interesting I've put in one of my posts I might start smoking I've never smoked I tried but was ill with it but patches may be an option..anything that helps🤔🤔thankyou

• Like 1