Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Fluoxetine

[Zi...]

I am not doing so well with my diazepam taper and feeling depressed, no motivation, higher anxiety, higher blood pressure and insomnia. I saw my doctor today and she wants my to try fluoxetine plus up my dosage of diazepam to see if I can stabilize. I am worried about taking more drugs but if it helps then it is good? or am I making a mistake? 

I posted in the Withdrawal Support area but wanted to post here in case people don't read all areas. 

I'm sorry you're having such a hard time with withdrawal symptoms. First I want to point out something about your taper.  Looking at your history I see that you made monthly reductions using fixed amounts.  The problem with this is that as you get down to lower doses the percentage of your reductions actually increases.  So when you reduced at the beginning of your taper it was something like a 6% reduction of your original dose of 30mg but your reduction in June was a reduction 14.28% of your previous dose, much higher than we suggest.  I see that you made a smaller reduction after June and I think it makes sense to perhaps hold at your current dose for a bit long and when you begin tapering again, make cuts of no more than 5-10% of your previous dose.  Now to your questions about fluoxetine (Prozac)

Adding new meds or supplements can be helpful to some people and not to others. During benzo withdrawal our central nervous system is so sensitive, we never know how supplements and other medications are going to affect us.  So although ultimately you know yourself best and it is your decision I think you're wise to seek input to factor into your decision.  I also suggest you consider jointing the Alternative Treatments, Supplements & More group and post this question there. https://benzobuddies.org/forum/138-topics/

@[Zi...] I agree with @[Br...].  I too dropped from 12mg to 11mg extremely unstable and ended up holding there for 3.5 months and now have to taper very slowly to remain 'functional'. 

Withdrawal symptoms are inevitable.  I maybe slept 2 hours a couple nights ago but did much better last night.  These symptoms are miserable but we have to dig deep.  I would suggest to continue to hold and make educated decisions regarding adding additional medications to 'chase' symptoms.  I added 7.5mg mirtazapine during my 3.5 month hold 'chasing' more and better sleep, and if it is helping it ain't much.  This is my experience.  I hope to have an uneventful taper.

Also, to help us help you best, please make sure you try and post within one thread where applicable - especially when it is in regards to your taper planning and management.

Thanks @[Br...] & @[Fa...]for the replies. I decided to go ahead and start the Fluoxetine today at 10mg. I feel like I have to try it to help with my depression and thoughts that are not good. 

I hope I am not going to regret it. I just feel so lost and hopeless with no guidance other than here. I appreciate you all. Sorry I have a tough time figuring where to even post. 

I completely understand and wish you the best, @[Zi...].  I am not a doctor, but my understanding is that it can take up to 4-6 weeks for the medication to build up in your body, adapt and get used to it.  I would suggest not making any other changes to medications during this time.

From what I am able to track through your history and posts, you are additionally on baclofen and diazepam and haven’t made any changes to these 2 medications since July.  If you increase the diazepam and introduce Prozac at the same time my fear is you won’t know “what causes what”.  I hope this makes sense and this is just my opinion.  Hopefully other’s chime in.

And don’t worry about your post locations…no big deal.  I was just trying to help you get the best possible advice, suggestions and feedback from lived experience.  Again, I wish you the best and you can do this!  We just need to stabilize and slow down going forward. 

• Like 1

@[Fa...] thanks for the reply. Yeah you could be right that I should not increase my diazepam but the doctor thought it wouldn't be bad and she wanted to increase it by 4 or 5mg. I said I didn't want to increase it at all and then we came to an agreement of 1mg increase. She said that way I don't have to worry about cutting my 2mg tablets in half for the dose I was at of 3mg morning 8mg evening. I thought ok let's go with that as I was just really full of anxiety and scared what to even do. 

That sounds good, @[Zi...].  I believe you will gain a degree of stability.  Reach back out if you need support.  Once you feel stabilized members will be more than happy to assist in resuming your diazepam taper.  

• Like 1

I'm glad you've made a decision @[Zi...].  Sometimes, just making a decision gives us important peace of mind.  I hope you'll move forward with confidence in your decision.  Please try not to second guess or worry about it - that only adds more stress to your sensitized nervous system.  We're here to support you so please let us know how we can help.

• Like 1