Important Survey - Please Participate ×

How does Collagen compare to Calcium?

[or...]

My doctor wants me to take 1000 mg of calcium, I have just the very start of a little osteoporsis according to bone-density test I took.  I don't feel worried at all because I eat a good diet, imo, (ketogenic) and I take collagen, a good one, every day in my morning decaf.

I told him this, but he still wanted me to add calcium with a D-3 which I already take.  I also have been taking Boron by Life Extension, just 3 mg were suggested and it comes in that size mg ;)  I also do weight-training, and walking which is said to rebuild bone, and I have friends that it's worked.  They went back for bone-density scan and had actually built back bone.  I never knew that could happen!

Anyway, anyone want to chime in, please do as I don't like the idea of over-doing supplements anymore than I like the idea of od'ing on prescription, or other drugs :) Denise PS btw, I had never had a bone density scan until this first one so I have nothing to compare it to until my next in a year. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still trying to decide if Calcium (1000mg) recommended by MD for my beginnings of osteoporosis.  I already use Collagen every days, a scoop in my decaf, and I take Boron, highly recommended for rebuilding bone.

Has anyone found a good, safe supplement that works to build bone?  I am hoping I see a change in my next bone-scan, they're only given once a year, for me anyway.  I know I get some calcium in my dairy, or think I do, don't know how much though.  I eat Two Good brand yogurt, and Mozzarella cheese, my fave ;) Denise

I don't like to see a post go unanswered, so just to let you know I have read it. Unfortunately I haven't got a clue, and honestly didn't think it was possible to regrow bone either. Why exactly don't you want to take the calcium?

Edited by [Ha...]

I think what you’re doing will work and I wouldn’t worry about the calcium.  Most people take in plenty of dietary calcium.  It’s the other co factors that many are missing.  How’s your d3? Vitamin a levels etc etc.  but weight bearing exercises will prob be the grunt of your work.  You need strength conditioning more not cardio.  Weight training. Not only will it strengthen your bones but will strengthen your supporting muscle.  Use proper form to avoid injuries and stick to major muscle groups like squats deadlifts bench press.  The fractures you want to avoid the most is hip fx which is the upper ball area of the femur.  A fx of an arm will heal just fine but a femur / hip fx in soft bones is a major issue.  Squats will strengthen bone and supporting muscle.  And learn about the other co factors of calcium