Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Things that have helped me with sleep

[Ge...]

After experimenting, here is what helps for me:

- Sleep hygiene , no phones before bed (8pm)

- I don't look at the time during the night esp when I wake

- Cool bedroom with dark blackout blinds and just a sheet in case it gets too hot

- I often fall alsleep on the sofa and transfer to bed

Drugs:

- CBD Gummies  - with/without melatonin - their quality is so variable that I would not trust them. 

- Melatonin (pharma grade, not healthfood store). 3mg slow-release. Melatonin is prescription only in the UK

- ABSOLUTELY NO ALCOHOL/ CAFFIENE after 1pm

- ABSOLUTELY NO FOOD / SPICEY FOOD AFTER 6p, (gives me reflux)

The doctor gave me a drug called Mogadon (nitrazepam) which has worked extremely well. I dont know if its short term or not.

I seem to fall asleep about 9pm and sleep until about 5pm. I wish i could shift it to 11pm but i can't

I have never been an insomniac , indeed I have always slept 8 hours like a log. Sometimes it is 7.5 hours according to my watch but it is very often down at 4-6hours and I am exhausted and I have to go to work.

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

24 minutes ago, [[T...] said:

Unfortunately sleep hygiene will not touch Benzo-induced insomnia.  Neither will CBT-i, sleep restriction, etc.  Nothing short of another Rx drug or possibly CBD/THC can help.  Nitrazepam is sold under the brand name Mogadon among others, is a hypnotic drug of the benzodiazepine class used for short-term relief from severe, disabling anxiety and insomnia. It also has sedative properties, as well as amnestic, anticonvulsant, and skeletal muscle relaxant effects.

All Benzos eventually stop working, especially for sleep and then your only choices are to updose, taper off or quit cold turkey (not recommended).  When I was in the thick of my WD and I got a 4 hour night here and there I thought I was healed....LOL.  Many people would love to get 4-6 hours per night and that's about all I averaged for years after getting off of Benzos.  However, it was plenty of sleep to live a "normal" life on considering I was averaging 5-10 hours of sleep per week for months and months.  Lack of sleep will not kill you.   Good luck.

24 minutes ago, [[T...] said:

Unfortunately sleep hygiene will not touch Benzo-induced insomnia.  Neither will CBT-i, sleep restriction, etc.  Nothing short of another Rx drug or possibly CBD/THC can help.  Nitrazepam is sold under the brand name Mogadon among others, is a hypnotic drug of the benzodiazepine class used for short-term relief from severe, disabling anxiety and insomnia. It also has sedative properties, as well as amnestic, anticonvulsant, and skeletal muscle relaxant effects.

All Benzos eventually stop working, especially for sleep and then your only choices are to updose, taper off or quit cold turkey (not recommended).  When I was in the thick of my WD and I got a 4 hour night here and there I thought I was healed....LOL.  Many people would love to get 4-6 hours per night and that's about all I averaged for years after getting off of Benzos.  However, it was plenty of sleep to live a "normal" life on considering I was averaging 5-10 hours of sleep per week for months and months.  Lack of sleep will not kill you.   Good luck.

I am tapering off and I stick to it like glue. I am not sure how slow or fast to go. Currently on 45, doing down to 40 next. Week. I 1 year  use use approx 40-60mhg with binges of 80 to 120 once per week. Tapering off is the only way. I think the Nitrazepam will eventyally stop working.

I

27 minutes ago, [[T...] said:

Chatting on my phone until 10-11pm is very bad. I pop in into airplane mode at 9pm and put it in a drawer.

I'm having a lot of insomnia now so just ordered non-flavored Melatonin-food grade, from Source Naturals, and the tablets are just 1mg.  Funny I said that last part since my C is only 1mg I took for 35 years, and I can only taper a tiny bit to keep from wd sxs that are like some I've heard on BB.  Not about to suffer worse if I can avoid it.  I think the insomnia and migraines are the worst wd sxs I have.  I won't delve into some of the things mentioned on this thread, because I've learned my lesson on drugs, I hope, but Melatonin is something I will try, again.  Before when I tried it earlier in my taper, I took it at 3 mg, didn't think that was too much, I "think" it had something to do with the bad migraine I got.

I have a migraine now almost every day.  Could be environmental, but nothing I eat causes them.  I so wish all doctors were more up on benzo wd sxs but they just aren't, not in my neck of the woods. My head-pain is always in left side of my head, and heard others in wd mention having "headaches" on left-side.  Migraine should not be listed in the headache catagory, not mine anyway.  I have regular headaches on occasion, but nothing like a migraine.  Migraine sufferers will get that.  Denise wishing you all healing and sooner than later ;):smitten:

• Like 1

I think the most important think is to point out that Nitrazepam is a benzo and that the OP needs to be aware of that.  I don’t find it very constructive to say there’s “nothing but time” that will help with benzo insomnia.  That may be the case for the person who made this comment, but everyone responds differently to OTC remedies and supplements.  I’ve had to experiment.  Melatonin does nothing for me, but Magnesium and CBD do.  Someone else will say L-Theanine or menatonin or whatever helps.  Great! Use it.   Do what works for you and try to be helpful to others without projecting your own unique experience onto everyone else.  And yes, sleep hygiene absolutely makes a big difference for EVERYONE and i agree with all the things the OP stated. I’d also add no sugar late in the day either.
     Experiment with some of the suggestions people have made on here and see if any of them work.  You will sleep normally again and you will heal.  ✌️ 

• Like 3

All I can say is the K you're still on has probably made you delusional? You haven't even started the race yet, so how can you speak to what it's like to cross the finish line?  And by your logic, which isn't even logic at all, this site shouldn't even exist as each person's WD experience is "unique" to them and there is absolutely nothing in common with anyone going through Benzo WD.  Isn't it interesting that more than one person gets the same symptom from taking a different or the same Benzo? But the amazing thing is, as much as you say you can't stand my posts, you continue to read and reply to them.  I'm betting you'll reply to this one?  It's absolutely hilarious how you managed to return "8 million times" and read my posts that you found difficult to stomach.  That's no different than saying "every time I eat this certain food, I get sick" and then you continue to eat it ad nauseum (pun intended). 

Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::
trode /trəʊd/vb
  1. archaic
    a past tense of tread

• Like 1

Hi,

I'm a bit late to this. And it has been a couple of days since the last post to this thread. But I think it wort me stating most members are struggling, and in different ways. Try to be understanding of this and the effect your words can have upon others. It is OK to disagree, and even disagree strongly, but some of the comments to this thread have been unnecessarily personal in nature. Please take it down a couple of notches. Thank you.

You're absolutely right, Colin. I'm better than that. I let emotion and frustration get the best of me. My editorializing and airing personal grievance, though heartfelt, is not what this forum is about. This thread isn't about me, but I managed to hijack it from GeorgeJungleScotland. Sorry George. I've had a few days to reflect and recognize my poor choice to speak unkindly to another member. Glad you're having some success addressing your insomnia; it's such a beast. Good job not clock watching, which is known to create anxiety. I think the more we can do to stomp out sleep anxiety, such as not staying in bed for hours wide awake and not "catastrophizing" by indulging in thoughts about what will happen if we get no sleep or not enough sleep, the easier we'll rest. Such measures do not cure benzo withdrawal, but learning to calm the mind as much as possible by controlling maladaptive thoughts and behaviors around sleep have helped me immeasurably. Best ~

• Like 2

@[Ge...] You've provided some very helpful tips.  I'm concerned about your mention of Mogadon (nitrazepam).  It's been noted a few times on this thread already but it's worth reiterating:  Mogadon (nitrazepam) is a benzodiazepine.  As @[Th...] says, if you take it for any length of time there is a good chance you will hit tolerance and need to updose in order to achieve the same effectiveness.   You will also be faced with tapering off it slowly and cautiously like any benzo.  I hate to see this cause you problems.

On 28/08/2023 at 13:10, [[G...] said:

The doctor gave me a drug called Mogadon (nitrazepam) which has worked extremely well. I dont know if its short term or not.

I missed this in the opening post. Although very effective for treating insomnia in the shorter term, Mogadon (and all benzodiazpines) are generally very ineffective over the longer term. Tolerance to the sedating effects of benzodiazepines typically develops within some weeks, and dependency can start to occur over a similar timeframe.

I am not 'rabidly' against benzodiazepines - they have their uses. But we must be realistic about benzos and their potential downsides (which are very significant).

@[Ge...] For how long have you been taking Mogadon?

On 30/08/2023 at 22:19, [[M...] said:

I think the most important think is to point out that Nitrazepam is a benzo and that the OP needs to be aware of that.  I don’t find it very constructive to say there’s “nothing but time” that will help with benzo insomnia.  That may be the case for the person who made this comment, but everyone responds differently to OTC remedies and supplements.  I’ve had to experiment.  Melatonin does nothing for me, but Magnesium and CBD do.  Someone else will say L-Theanine or menatonin or whatever helps.  Great! Use it.   Do what works for you and try to be helpful to others without projecting your own unique experience onto everyone else.  And yes, sleep hygiene absolutely makes a big difference for EVERYONE and i agree with all the things the OP stated. I’d also add no sugar late in the day either.
     Experiment with some of the suggestions people have made on here and see if any of them work.  You will sleep normally again and you will heal.  ✌️ 

noted. I hav ebene on it 3 weeks and it is not very potent so I am going go to taper off and stick with slow acting melationin 

Meditation and light aerobic exercise have been the only two (non Rx drug) things that have really helped me. I was taking just 1 MG of melatonin bf bedtime. I think it was helping slightly but not doing me any harm. I am not taking it nightly anymore, just sporadically.

Well no wonder the sleep restriction stuff worked. Had me wondering what I was doing wrong all that time. 

mogodon and cbd gummies! That’s the part I missed! 

And listening to the profound wisdom of drs during withdrawal. I missed that part too. Smh 

Of course psychiatrists are going to say Benzos are "OK."  A very high percentage of them won't or do not recognize Benzo WD.  I was forced to see a psychiatrist at the urging of my PCP.  The psychiatrist said "it wasn't the Benzos causing my symptoms, as they were out of my system."  And "it was other, untreated psychological conditions or illnesses."  She wanted to poly drug me and I politely refused.  Eventually all of the mental conditions and illnesses she said I had "magically" disappeared.  Go figure.  :brickwall:

• Like 3

Yes I concur. I had extreme anxiety depression and ptsd…. Apparently 🤷🏼‍♀️
I am fine now besides rage issues which is understandable after almost being killed at the hands of the medical community. 

General practitioners and psychiatrists are drug pushers. If they cared they would prescribe diet and excercise before hooking their patients on drugs that are in some cases impossible for people to get off. 

• Like 3

Yes, so true.  In our fast food society, the first step is to get the patient in and out as quickly as possible.  Most conditions and illnesses are not caused by a lack of a certain drug in our bodies, but somehow, drugs are the answer to everything in western medicine???  Diet and Exercise are 99% of the problem and in the US SAD (Standard American Diet) is responsible for about 90% of all illness and disease...

Edited by [Th...]
  • Like 2

Absolutely. And that terrible diet begins in school canteens. In these times it’s difficult to pay $20 for something healthy when u can pay $8 for a burger meal. All the junk food is heavily subsidized. They are making us sick so we then need medical intervention. Let’s not forget it’s a multi billion dollar industry and wellness doesn’t help profit. 

excercise and diet helped me get better 100 percent. It is so hard when u are unwell but it’s the key. An apple a day….

491FE4E5-84D6-46C1-A607-82EBC5F80A6A.jpeg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 07/09/2023 at 11:10, [[T...] said:

Yes, so true.  In our fast food society, the first step is to get the patient in and out as quickly as possible.  Most conditions and illnesses are not caused by a lack of a certain drug in our bodies, but somehow, drugs are the answer to everything in western medicine???  Diet and Exercise are 99% of the problem and in the US and SAD (Standard American Diet) is responsible for about 90% of all illness and disease...

@[Th...] Yes, so true. They want to write a script and you're on your way. Like, "Here, pop this pill and everything will be fine." Not much to their job. Takes less effort than educating us on other modalites.

So true about not being deficient. Here's an example of making me believe I am statin deficient.  One doctor was eager to shove a statin at me. She used Ray Romano as a testimonial. He evidently had high cholesterol. She saw my number from the prior year. All I had to do was get another test, which I did right after visit and the results were 25 points lower than the other. A good discussion about diet, exercise, and stress management should have occurred. No, it was pop this pill. She hurriedly sent it to the pharmacy before I got the results.

What did they say and do before benzos, statins, and all the rest of the ridiculous meds which half are addictive, black boxed, or taken off the market? They had healthy conversations.

Edited by [Gr...]
addition

I quit SAD back in 2013 and adopted a whole-food plant-based diet after watching Dr. Joel Fuhrman on PBS. Doctors like Fuhrman and Caldwell Esselstyln and Dean Ornish heal with diet, exercise, meditation, and sleep and will only prescribe drugs when they are absolutely necessary when lifestyle modifications alone are not enough. We have to start educating and taking good care of ourselves and stop looking to doctors to make us well when we become sick. If you are eating junk 24/7, smoking, are under chronic stress, drinking too much alcohol, are overweight, never exercise...etc..........it is no wonder your body eventually breaks down and starts screaming for help. Most ppl then run to doctors and pdocs looking for a pill to fix them. In hindsight, had I taken better care of myself, I would have never needed to see a pdoc in the 1st place and started on xanax over 30 years ago. No one loves and cares about you more than you. I know many ppl who take better care of their cars than their own bodies. SMH--

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I’m coming off benzo’s and need someone to talk to. I feel so alone. My anxiety is high. I went from taking 3mg of Xanax a day to now I’m on .25 of diazepam. 

@[me...]  Hello,

Yes, your absolutely not alone with extreme anxiety and fear (amongst other symptoms) Many feel so lonely and hopeless during the process. I am too trying to convince myself that it is only the WD speaking and part of the package.... I jumped 116 days ago from 4,5 mg. 

I think it would be a great idea to start your own thread here https://benzobuddies.org/forum/121-benzodiazepine-withdrawal-use-recovery/

On 03/09/2023 at 10:33, [[G...] said:

noted. I hav ebene on it 3 weeks and it is not very potent so I am going go to taper off and stick with slow acting melationin 

Someone on here suggested mulunga bark tea for sleep. I got some but it says not for human consumption. Any ideas?