Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Starting with a new psych--advice on what to ask for in terms of tapering support?

[Li...]

I start with a new psychiatrist in October, and was wondering if folks had advice for what to ask for in terms of tapering support in the first session?

I have been taking Lorazepam daily for 3 years, up to 1.5mg currently, with 3 doses split throughout the day. I cut by 1/24 a few days ago and have been experiencing increased anxiety in the morning and headache in the afternoon/evening.

Last year, I tapered from 1.5mg to .75mg in two months, and it was awful. I'd like to not repeat that if possible, but am not sure what I should be asking for--the doctor to read Ashton's manual? tapering strips?

FWIW I also recently moved states after the end of a long-term relationship and 7 months of bad health. It's a lot of stress right now! I don't know if it's the right time to start tapering given that, but I am leery of staying on this drug any longer than needed. I do have support in the form of family and friends, and have found exercise very helpful lately.

Thank you for sharing your experiences!

Here is what I would do if it was my first session. I would feel it out to see how supportive they are of a patient-led taper. I would tell them on what dose I am and not yet let them know I am tapering. I would ask them what their thoughts are if I were to consider getting off the drug in future. Then see how they respond. See what advice they give and if they would let you be in charge of your taper. That's just what I would do. I was badly burnt by the doctor who prescribed me this stuff, cut me off and wanted me to taper everything in 6 weeks, so I have trust issues. 

This is a very valuable document to give to doctors should you want to provide your psychiatrist with information related to tapering. 

• Like 2

Thank you, jelly belly! What you wrote is immensely helpful to me. I, too, have had bad encounters with prescribers suddenly wanting to taper faster than feels safe to me. It's frightening, given how difficult it is to find a prescriber in the first place.

The document you shared is wonderful; it makes me feel good that I  have something to bring with me to the appointment that explains everything more concisely than I can!

• Like 1

Tapering strips are a viable option, but they go at a rate too fast for many of us, at least when you get lower. Liquid tapering and dry cutting, are also viable options. I dry microtapered the whole way down with a pill splitter, nail file, and scale after pill splitting became too much of a drop for my system. You don't need the support of your doctor, as long as he/she will continue prescribing, but it is nice to get the doctor onboard. All the best to you, @[Li...]!

• Like 1

Thanks @[je...] and @[he...]! I just spoke with a psych who sounds knowledgeable and friendly to a slow taper using a liquid formulation, and I'm feeling very hopeful about working with them (cross fingers, knock on wood, etc etc)

• Like 2

It's great to have a doctor that will actually work with you, but short of that, it's great to have a doctor that will prescribe and let you taper at your own rate.

• Like 2