Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Question

[id...]

as far as your GABA receptors repairing themselves-does it matter in what amounts you take your daily dosage while tapering? for instance, if you are taking 1 mg of xanax daily, does it matter if you take .25 four times daily as opposed to .5 mg twice daily? say in the case of .5 mg twice daily-im just wondering if that extra "surge" would make affect your receptors more, making them produce less GABA since it is a larger dose, even though you'd be taking it two less times daily than taking .25 mg four times a day. am i making sense?  :laugh:

Yes, Mike you make perfect sense but I'm not sure of the answer.  Some people spread it out over the day and feel better that way.  Someone else will be along to help you. 

Do you feel bad after taking the .5?

here's what i did different today (Follow closely  :D ) normally on the dose where i am now, ive taken .25 mg about 10:00 AM, .31 mg at lunch, .12 mg about 5:00 PM, .5 mg about 7:00 PM, and .25 mg at bedtime. i like to spread it out to multiple doses during the day because of its short half life. Today, i thought i would try to push back the morning dose to lunch, and take .56 then (the combined total of the morning and lunch doses). i was able to make it to lunch pretty easily without taking any. but, i took the usual morning dose and the noon dose at the same time at noon today. the xanax hit me very well all afternoon, i had no withdrawals. if i ever have a problem its in the afternoon, that's another reason i wanted to push the morning dose back closer to lunch-to get me through the afternoon better. i did not even want the 5:00 dose, but i took it anyway just to stay on track. i am feeling like the xanax is hitting me pretty good, but not to the point of being overly sedated. im just hoping that taking the .56 at lunch is not more harmful to my receptors than breaking it up into a morning dose and a lunchtime dose.

Hi Mike,

that's actually a really good question. I think since xanax is so short acting, your gaba receptors will fair better spreading it out rather than dosing once daily. At least until you reduce enough to just take one dose. It would just be less of a rollercoaster ride for them.

But whether one or the other method makes them repair faster , I really couldn't even guess!  Probably Colin would know. He is after all, All-Knowing.  ;)

Hi Mike,

There is some evidence (anecdotal at least) that those that that suffer a lot during withdrawal are more likely to suffer with protracted withdrawal symptoms than those that taper gently, and on not too fast. Since spreading a short acting benzo over the day is more gentle than taking it just once-a-day, then I think there may be some (small) benefit in terms making protracted symptoms less likely. Even if there is no discernible difference, those that spread there short acting benzo over the day almost always fair better during their taper than those that take them just once a day.

Hi Mike,

that's actually a really good question. I think since xanax is so short acting, your gaba receptors will fair better spreading it out rather than dosing once daily. At least until you reduce enough to just take one dose. It would just be less of a rollercoaster ride for them.

But whether one or the other method makes them repair faster , I really couldn't even guess!  Probably Colin would know. He is after all, All-Knowing.  ;)

i actually think that i felt better the way i took it today.

Hi Mike,

There is some evidence (anecdotal at least) that those that that suffer a lot during withdrawal are more likely to suffer with protracted withdrawal symptoms than those that taper gently, and on not too fast. Since spreading a short acting benzo over the day is more gentle than taking it just once-a-day, then I think there may be some (small) benefit in terms making protracted symptoms less likely. Even if there is no discernible difference, those that spread there short acting benzo over the day almost always fair better during their taper than those that take them just once a day.

thanks. i guess ill just experiment and see what works.

Hi Mike,

i actually think that i felt better the way i took it today.

Well, I do know that I felt better as soon as I started my taper. So it could mean tolerence wd, or you are having parodoxical symptoms which would mean you feel better further from your last dose, and worse right after it.  

:yippee:

I"m glad Mike.

How's the pup?

I was thinking the same thing! :2funny:  Your puppy is so adorable.  Can we have more pictures?

he's doing great! getting to be a big pup already, up to 25 pounds at 13 weeks today. here is his first snow, in the sun, and what really cracks me up-sleeping upside down on his back  :2funny:

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u93/whipskier/wiley10.jpg

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u93/whipskier/wiley4-1.jpg

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u93/whipskier/wiley11.jpg

He is so cute!!  Just a big furry baby.  I show all your pictures to my daughter, she would have a house full of dogs if she could, and  after seeing seeing Wiley she said one day she will have a red chow.

Thanks for the pictures!

He is so cute!!  Just a big furry baby.  I show all your pictures to my daughter, she would have a house full of dogs if she could, and  after seeing seeing Wiley she said one day she will have a red chow.

Thanks for the pictures!

that is great! how old is she?

i think i am going back to the way that i was doing it, or splitting the difference anyway. i am dropping today, so i think i will take .125 mid morning and then .375 at lunch. something about the way i took it yesterday really kinda hit me harder than i like. no withdrawals, but i don't like feeling stoned either.  :sick:

Thanks for the pictures!

that is great! how old is she?

i think i am going back to the way that i was doing it, or splitting the difference anyway. i am dropping today, so i think i will take .125 mid morning and then .375 at lunch. something about the way i took it yesterday really kinda hit me harder than i like. no withdrawals, but i don't like feeling stoned either.  :sick:

She is just turned 21 and still living at home but she thinks she wants to get married!  I say she doens't know what she is doing!!!

I think that is a smart move with your taper, do whatever makes you feel the best.  You are doing so well!!

Hey Mike

Just wanted to say your at the point now where your the best judge on how to proceed with your own taper, the only thing pertinent is the short half life of Xanax so you dont want to spread it out to far.

Take care

Bobers

i decided to just go .25 this morning this morning and .25 at lunch. hopefully this will get me through OK until 5:00. im usually good after then, in the evening and night. feels good, 1.37 is as low as i have been in a while!

TS, i thought she was maybe younger. i know this is maybe jumping the gun a bit, but here are some thing to consider:

Chow-Chows are not for everyone, so if she really ever does decide to get one, she should know what she is getting into. They need a strong owner who is willing to assume the position of a strong leadership role. This doesn't entail being mean, but rather firm and consistent. You have to do this with them or they will run all over you. They require alot of care, frequent grooming, lots of socialization when they are puppies-and throughout their lives. please make sure you are getting a good pup to avoid health problems down the road. this generally means buying from a reputable breeder. they are particularly prone to entropion, or rolling in of the eyelids, and hip dysplasia. proper breeding greatly reduces incidences of this. Also consider that a chow is not a black lab-they're not super friendly with everyone they meet, but rather aloof. Just some things to consider. But, a properly bred and raised chow, in my opinion, is like no other dog! They are strikingly beautiful and offer loyalty and companionship like no other-only my opinion, which is rather biased of course  :laugh:

here is, essentially, a grown up version of Wiley......

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u93/whipskier/000_0055.jpg

Thanks for the pictures!

She puts a lot of care into her dogs but I have always felt that FL was to hot for them.  She is still in school and working so it will be awhile before she makes a decision on a dog.  In the meantime she spends a lot of time with our 2 little ones.

Thanks for sharing your puppy!