Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

New here

[Ca...]

Hello everyone, I'm tapering off Xanax. I'm down to a little less than .125ml . I was a heavy drinker for years, quit in December had a horrible withdrawal experience. I ended up in the Er for panic attacks. Long story short was given Ativan cold turkeyed it after 3-4 week use 1ml daily. Bad news, ended up reinstating on Xanax .25ml. It's been almost three months of daily use, I'm slowly tapering now. I'm here for support and advice.

Welcome to BenzoBuddies, Cali2.

I'm glad to see you are on a low dose of Xanax and tapering slowly.  A slow taper is what we recommend for most people.  You will find a lot of support and information here.  If you have any questions, just ask.

Hi Cali2, welcome to BenzoBuddies

Congratulations on being sober  :thumbsup:

How are you feeling? You'll find lots of support here, ask any questions you may have.

Star

[27...]

Cali,

Welcome to BenzoBuddies.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have and congrats on being sober  :thumbsup:

Sigma.

Thanks everyone. I was in bad shape for awhile after the c/t of lorazepam. My heart went wacky. I've since had almost all the heart tests except the catheter, All normal. I also quit a daily marijuana habit as well as a 18 year chewing habit all at the same time, bad idea. I should have done one at a time but what's done is done. I'm doing better now, I have a lot of healing to do. I think I'm gonna keep cutting the Xanax until I'm taking crumbs than quit. 

Cali, I was pretty  much in your same situation, drank heavy, quit after having a bad panic attack, got on xanax, same .25, only been 1 month 2 weeks for me.  I have come to find out, the alcohol does the same thing as the benzo's do. They mess with your GABA, it's sorta why booze makes some people fearless as well, the fighting etc.  When that is messed with it can cause panic attacks.  I never really knew that, but both times I drank heavily over the years, I had quit both times because of a bad panic attack, detachment feeling etc.    I always wondered why the benzo's in a way made me feel the comfort I felt when I drank, I also feel the end result of addiction from the xanax.  I never really took more then two of the .25's a day but I do know I am tapering them off and flushing them down the toilet.    Lots of exercise for me, almost 2hrs of biking a day just to get almost the same calming effect and relaxation I should normally have naturally.  I cannot also wait to be anxiety free, not wake up in the morning feeling dread or hopelessness because it feels like it will never go away.  I do know it will though, because I went through this before when I was 22.  Only then I never really took the Xanax as much, which really isn't a lot now just like you.    Hope all goes well I'll be rooting for you as I am going through the same process../ :)