Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Xanax tapering

[Dr...]

Hello I’ve been on Xanax for almost 3 years . Started very light for the first year .25-.5 MG more or less than gradually went up to 1MG now I’m at 2MG daily and I’ve taken more for long flights or hangovers etc.. I’m finally tapering down my doctor put me on a lot of anti anxiety drugs such as Wellbutrin , busiprone , clonidine and Gabapentin . I’m taking them lightly I don’t feel like taking the Gabapentin right now. Any positive outlooks in what I’m about to go through ? I know it’s going to be a bit of a journey. I was able to get off with the same recipe but relapsed a year ago . I don’t use it or didn’t choose to use it recreational, I legitimately have a panic disorder and did not like taking SSRI do to their side effects . 20 mg lexapro worked well but killed my sex drive which is why I’m giving the Wellbutrin a shot this time around . Any advice or opinions ? Thank you guys god bless .

Hello @[Dr...],welcome to BenzoBuddies,

Has your doctor prescribed so many medications to help with your taper or was this before you started?  The reason I ask is because some of our members report increased sensitivity to new medications and supplements when we become tolerant to or begin tapering from benzodiazepines.  

One of my fears with your increased use is that the Xanax could be adding to your anxiety.  I never knew what anxiety was until I became dependent then stopped taking Klonopin, benzo's can create anxiety on steroids when that happens.

Can you tell us what your taper has consisted of thus far, how much, how often and what symptoms you're dealing with?  We typically suggest reducing by about 5-10% every of weeks but using your symptoms to guide you is found to work the best.

I encourage you to use these instructions to add your medications and taper information to your history, it will help us help you. 

Pamster

Hello thank you you for the quick response . I’ve always had anxiety but I never used medication . If it got bad enough I would use Ssri for a couple weeks maybe months and it would go away . My anxiety would come maybe every couple years very strong but more or less it was there but I was able to manage it without medicine . 3 years ago it unbearable . I am familiar with rebound anxiety for Xanax which is what I’m getting now because of the tolerance I built . I don’t want to take more so that’s why I started to take these medications now to taper off the Xanax and make the transition easy .

The medications you're taking now are an important part of the information we'll need, they don't always help with tapering so getting input from other members with experience can be valuable if you find yourself having issues you're not certain are related to your taper from Xanax.  Some medications will need to be tapered once you're off of the Xanax so member input on that will be helpful too.

I see you've tapered before, most members say no two tapers are alike, you may have a totally different experience this time but that doesn't mean you can't taper off and recover from your use.

I was on lexapro the first taper 20MG it helped but I did not like it because it killed my sex drive and made me feel like a zombie but worked. This time I am on Wellbutrin because it does not have those side effects at 100mg . First time trying it only been on it for a week. Last time and now both 2 10Mg a day of busiprone. Last time they gave me clonidine .1 now this time they gave me 300 mg Gabapentin 3 times a day. Two different doctors my last one moved away and I was not able to find him. 

Some of these medications will need to be tapered after you recover from your benzodiazepine experience, I hope your doctor will help you with this.

If you plan to stay on the Wellbutrin I would suggest waiting until it’s fully on board before beginning your taper, it seems like I’ve read members say 6 weeks?

How many times a day do you dose the Xanax?  Are you dealing with interdose as well as tolerance?

Yes I plan to taper off of everything once I’m in the clear from the Xanax . I take Xanax in one dose a day and I’m good but tapering they told me to split it into 3 doses a day. The Wellbutrin was given to help with the anxiety once I’m getting off the Xanax as well as the busiprone. The Gabapentin to prevent sezuires