Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Chest tightness

Does anyone get weird chest feelings.  I guess I would descibe it as a tightness.  Now I think I'm going to have a heart attack because I'm getting these weird feelings running through my body after the chest pains.

I haven't really experienced any chest tightness in a long time thats why im worried.

Hopefully if something bad is about to happen it happens now, and I'm not in pain that long while it happens

I've been having chest tightness today too.  It is right in the middle of my chest like a cinder block sitting on me.  I guess it's pretty common so try not to worry.  It's scary though.

One of my main symptoms for a long time has been, tight chest, aches and pains.

It is really uncomfortable but not at all life threatening so the longer it has gone on the more used to it i have become.

I am in the 5th month of post w/d and i think it has actually eased up a bit. Its amazing really because i was thinking to

myself, how long is this going to last as i can't be doing with this for much longer...

So the moral of my little story is hang in there as it will pass !

Good luck my friend

Hi KD - About two weeks ago I had a lot of chest tightness and an electrical type feeling down my left arm - scary stuff!  I went out running and afterwards it got worse along with dizziness and sweating.  I knew it was the benzo w/d but went to the E/R anyway.  I checked out fine and it was GREAT for my peace of mind!  It has now passed.  When it comes to your heart don't take chances - it is probably w/d but if you have any doubt get checked.  Just my opinion.  Best, Billwill

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I was considering going to the ER, but I'm only 24, and there is no history of heart problems in my family.  I'm just really paranoid due to I really haven't felt anything intense like that at all, or in a very long time.  

I also know that it is possible for a 24 year old to have a heart attack, but I'm just going to stick it out, and tell myself it's just the w/d.  I'm pretty proud of myself for doing this  :).  I remember when this all started, and I had no idea what these symptoms were, even before benzo's, I was at the ER everyday faithfully.

Hopefully it's just part of w/d.

• 3 months later...

I have been off the Ativan for about nine weeks or so.  This morning I was awoken with some pretty extreme chest tightness.  I have had it before several times but this time it just felt different.  I went to ER this morning and they gave me a nitro pill.  By then most of the tightness had gone.  Well to make a long wait short....  They ended up doing a cardio cat scan.  All looked normal.  I have to follow up with the cardio doc that never came to talk to me by the way....in two days.  I asked why to the nurse and she really gave me no answer.  So whatever.  Guess he will probably order a stress test or something. Fine with me!  Get it all done and my mind can rest easier.  They sent nitro home with me that didn't make feel any better.  But they misdiagnosed my gallbladder several months ago so they are probably covering all their bases at this point. IMO ANYWAYS!  Oh and I was calm when I went in and guess what they wanted to do!  ATIVAN!  I said YOU WILL NOT PUT ONE BENZO OR Z DRUG IN THIS BODY!  I have been through he'll and back because of your misdiagnosis and I REFUSE THOSE DRUGS!  Put it in MY CHART NOW!  Why the he'll would I need Ativan when I am calm?  WTH?  They insisted on benedryl.  They wanted to knock me out I guess. Well surprise!  Benedryl does nothing to me.  It never has.  They wanted to give me more I said NO!  I am fine.  I did the ct with flying colors.  Even had to use nitro for the scan.  I have been drug free and the nitro and benedryl and cat scan dye haven't bothered me YET.  Hopefully tomorrow goes well.  Sometimes I can have W/d a day later. I hope not!  Wish me luck!  Oh and no more chest tightness so far either.  W/d ya think?  I do!