Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Starting a video support group via zoom

[de...]

Hi all my name is Derrick. I'm still fairly new here. 

While I've been learning a lot about what benzo does during usage and after dealing with withdrawal/recovery. 
I don't know if this sort of thing has been done before. 

But I thought if it's possible to have a zoom/video call support group? I heard this kind of approach can be good in the healing process. Only if folks are open and comfortable with the idea? I'm aware it can be a lot at times to share what someone is going through and I want to be mindful of that. 

After spending sometime on here I just thought if there was a way to connect with folks. That's a bit more personal and give the space to be heard out. Even though there's nothing wrong with posting from folks on this form. Every little bit helps out.

I for one am really grateful to read everyone's personal experience. That, there's a lot of hope to hang on because there is a light at the end of all of this and recovery and healing is possible after benzo use. 

This is just an idea I want to throw out there. But I leave it up to folks if this is something they would like to participate in and maybe see?

I hope everyone is hanging in there and comment below it this sounds like something that would interest you and maybe help you out. 

I for one think this would help me and out. And that would go along way. 

• Like 1

Hi derrickrod02, welcome.

I know it sounds like a good idea but it conflicts with our policy of anonymity.  Our members are especially vulnerable and there have been instances through the years where members desperate for help have fallen prey to unscrupulous tactics by those hoping to exploit this vulnerability.  I'm not suggesting you are, in fact, many have proposed this and we have no way of knowing if its come about but we want to caution anyone looking to join a group like this to be careful who you trust, this is the internet and we cannot definitively know who is who they say they are.

Obviously we can't control what our members ultimately decide to do but once real identities get out into the real world, there is nothing we can do.  For your information, there are some established groups already functioning that may be what you're looking for.  Benzodiazepine Resources (benzoinfo.com)

Pamster

Guidelines - BenzoBuddies Community Forum

The rule is, we don't show our faces, or reveal our true names, like people do on FB. This is very sensible. We also don't exchange e-mail addresses. Internet is a tricky place. And benzo use is still very much stigmatized. 

1 hour ago, [[P...] said:

Hi derrickrod02, welcome.

I know it sounds like a good idea but it conflicts with our policy of anonymity.  Our members are especially vulnerable and there have been instances through the years where members desperate for help have fallen prey to unscrupulous tactics by those hoping to exploit this vulnerability.  I'm not suggesting you are, in fact, many have proposed this and we have no way of knowing if its come about but we want to caution anyone looking to join a group like this to be careful who you trust, this is the internet and we cannot definitively know who is who they say they are.

Obviously we can't control what our members ultimately decide to do but once real identities get out into the real world, there is nothing we can do.  For your information, there are some established groups already functioning that may be what you're looking for.  Benzodiazepine Resources (benzoinfo.com)

Pamster

Guidelines - BenzoBuddies Community Forum

Thanks for the response and yes the info you shared is exactly what I've been looking for!