Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Need help. Unsuccessful in latest taper

[am...]

Hi,

I'm very new but already have been encouraged by reading the posts here.  Despite what most medical professionals have said, it isn't in my head and here, people believe me - I'm not crazy.  After much research, I cut from 1.5 mg of Ativan to .75. It has been very difficult as you all know. I have been making .25 cuts each two months. I tried to cut another .25 and it was just too hard. Losing some confidence here. From what I've read, perhaps this is too much?  Can anyone help? Thanks

Hello!  Welcome to BB!  It's a great place to be.  I am cutting lorazepam (ativan) myself, and am having trouble for the first time right now.  I am sure someone with more knowledge will be on soon to talk to you.

I am starting water titrating after dry cutting because I cut too much I think my last cut!  I am going to try and stabilize by having the same dosage at each cut.  I am on .625 mg right now, and am thinking I should updose to .75 again.  I haven't done this at all, and am not sure whether I should do that.....

This is very hard, but you can do it! 

Midwest :smitten:

Hi,

I'm very new but already have been encouraged by reading the posts here.  Despite what most medical professionals have said, it isn't in my head and here, people believe me - I'm not crazy.  After much research, I cut from 1.5 mg of Ativan to .75. It has been very difficult as you all know. I have been making .25 cuts each two months. I tried to cut another .25 and it was just too hard. Losing some confidence here. From what I've read, perhaps this is too much?  Can anyone help? Thanks

Hi amb56.

I think .25mg is too big a cut from .75mg.  Do you have the .5mg tablets?  If so, you can cut them in 1/4s and drop .125mg every few weeks depending on how you feel.  Generally, there's no reason to wait two months between cuts and the longer you are on a benzo, the more you risk reaching tolerance. 

Thank you. I think I will do as you suggest. I'm leaving on vacation the end of July and won't do another taper until I get back - I don't want my vacation completely ruined. When I get back, I will taper with .125 as you suggest. I see you are free from benzos! Congratulations. I can't wait to be where you are. Can I ask how long you had w/d effects before normalizing? I know everyone is different. Thanks again for writing me.

I was on benzos for nearly 20 years so took me longer than most to become symptom-free.  Have a good time on your vacation.  Where are you going?  I'm not taking a vacation this year so am living vicarilously through others.  ;)

I was on benzos for nearly 20 years so took me longer than most to become symptom-free.  Have a good time on your vacation.  Where are you going?  I'm not taking a vacation this year so am living vicarilously through others.  ;)

Wow. 20 years! what were you on and how long did it take to get off? What method did you use? I'm going to Arkansas to visit my son and his family. I only get to see them once a year. I sure appreciate you responding. I'm so desperate for input - so scared I can't do this.

I hope you enjoy your visit with your son, and please don't worry, you can do this, I've watched many people become benzo free.  ;)

I hope you enjoy your visit with your son, and please don't worry, you can do this, I've watched many people become benzo free.  ;)

Thank you Pamster. Really the people here are giving me much needed hope. I really appreciate the encouragement - thank you again!

Wow. 20 years! what were you on and how long did it take to get off? What method did you use? I'm going to Arkansas to visit my son and his family. I only get to see them once a year. I sure appreciate you responding. I'm so desperate for input - so scared I can't do this.

For most of those 20 years I was on lorazepam/Ativan.  I tapered off directly by cutting up my .5mg tablets.

I used to have friends I visited in Little Rock.  The parts of Arkansas I saw were quite beautiful. Hope you have a wonderful visit.

For most of those 20 years I was on lorazepam/Ativan.  I tapered off directly by cutting up my .5mg tablets.

Beeper, can you tell me what it was like when you tapered to just .5 and then finally off completely?  This is my biggest fear -

I used to have friends I visited in Little Rock.  The parts of Arkansas I saw were quite beautiful. Hope you have a wonderful visit.

I did pretty good until I got to .25mg/day and then things got rough again.  :(  Some people switch to a simplified kind of titration when they get to lower doses and that seems to work well.  Try to to worry too far into the future.  ;)