Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Where is the alternative treatments section now ?

[Jd...]

Honestly the section I viewed the most was the alternative treatments in the old forum.  It’s where we discussed treatments like muscimol and lithium orotate or any number of things to try to find things that would make this suffering a little more bearable.   Now it seems this forum is just a place to vent how bad we feel.   All negative no positive or hope.  I personally feel that section should be brought back 

• Like 3

I found a bit, and made a post in the Health Matters area, I'll give you the link ;) and one more by someone that hit the nail on the head with an exercise post/reply, hmm I can't find the one I saw this a.m. but Health Matters (in Health and wellbeing forum)has a lot of positive alternative stuff in it ;):

39 minutes ago, [[J...] said:

Honestly the section I viewed the most was the alternative treatments in the old forum.  It’s where we discussed treatments like muscimol and lithium orotate or any number of things to try to find things that would make this suffering a little more bearable.   Now it seems this forum is just a place to vent how bad we feel.   All negative no positive or hope.  I personally feel that section should be brought back 

I think the Health & Wellbeing section has some great posts in it already regarding alternatives, one is mine, LOL!  Just kidding, probably not great but helpful for some maybe :)  Read what @[Co...] says at Bullets in the Health & Wellbeing forum.  Things are getting more consolidated, but still work great imo.  I'm not huge on change, but I am seeing so many improvements.  Just keep exploring, and @[Co...] isn't finished.  He's tweaking, taking feedback.

Re: alt. treatments.

We do not wish those topics to appear in regular support spaces, such as Health Matters. I have written about 'groups' several times - they operate as semi-autonomous forums to the main forums. We will give strong consideration to proposals for groups. We already hope to have a group for members experiencing problems with protracted withdrawal symptoms. And we will consider a replacement Group for the old Alt. Therapies forum. But this requires members stepping up - we cannot do it alone. The reality is that if members are unwilling to play their part and step up, we will not provide these extra areas. The linked post, below, is largely relevant to this discussion:

We are not looking for complicated proposals. Just some outlines for a proposed group. We will consider groups which are on- or off-topic for the BB community. On-topic areas might include Protracted Withdrawal, and Alt. Therapies. But there could be groups for nearly any area of discussion, so long as they are not well-catered for within the main forums and does not detract from our mission. A few random ideas for off-topic groups: music lovers; gardening; cookery, etc., etc.

The group should have wide enough appeal to be self-sustaining, and active enough to warrant a whole forum than a single thread on the regular forums.

If any of you would like to explore any ideas, start a thread on the Contact the Team forums.

Thanks.

• Like 1

What exactly is it you need the members to step up and do in order for there to be a protracted group or alternative therapies group.  So confused.   There is literally a section for benzos in the news yet not a protracted forum 

Topics yeah but not like an entire section devoted to those who are protracted like the old system.   I’m still trying to find the benefits of this new and “improved” platform 🙄 may be time to migrate back to fb group for me 

18 minutes ago, [[J...] said:

Topics yeah but not like an entire section devoted to those who are protracted like the old system.   I’m still trying to find the benefits of this new and “improved” platform 🙄 may be time to migrate back to fb group for me 

Hi Jdoe - the team is working on a number of issues that still need to be worked out - we're hoping to have a replacement for the Protracted area soon. We know the changes are challenging for everyone but ultimately it will all be for the better!

• Like 2

On 8/1/2023 at 4:13 PM, [[J...] said:

I was just about to ask about this but found your post, also agree it should be bought back :thumbsup:

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I'll tell you what I wish is that our Conventional doctors, and Alternative doctors would all come together and share each others knowledge, studies, and also in our Universities, be taught both types if they really want to help people.

On 8/1/2023 at 9:19 AM, [[C...] said:

Re: alt. treatments.

We do not wish those topics to appear in regular support spaces, such as Health Matters. I have written about 'groups' several times - they operate as semi-autonomous forums to the main forums. We will give strong consideration to proposals for groups. We already hope to have a group for members experiencing problems with protracted withdrawal symptoms. And we will consider a replacement Group for the old Alt. Therapies forum. But this requires members stepping up - we cannot do it alone. The reality is that if members are unwilling to play their part and step up, we will not provide these extra areas. The linked post, below, is largely relevant to this discussion:

We are not looking for complicated proposals. Just some outlines for a proposed group. We will consider groups which are on- or off-topic for the BB community. On-topic areas might include Protracted Withdrawal, and Alt. Therapies. But there could be groups for nearly any area of discussion, so long as they are not well-catered for within the main forums and does not detract from our mission. A few random ideas for off-topic groups: music lovers; gardening; cookery, etc., etc.

The group should have wide enough appeal to be self-sustaining, and active enough to warrant a whole forum than a single thread on the regular forums.

If any of you would like to explore any ideas, start a thread on the Contact the Team forums.

Thanks.

Hi @[Co...] I don't know how popular it might be but I believe Nutrition & Exercise is vital. At least to share with folks how much it is helping people to either stay healthier, more quality of life, and even heal.  If possible, Supplements etc. could be a sub-catagory of that board.  I don't know if it would be harder for folks to find topics if they are made "sub catagories" though :wacko: Denise :)

It also crossed my benzo-brain the fact that "groups" can become cliquish, we all know that.  I think all things health could go under health, but maybe a separate group for women's issues and men's is appropriate.  I know I am interested in what other's type of drug they are tapering, or other's "part of the journey" they are in.  If I see "protracted" for example, I'm less likely to participate in it, ask questions. The reason for that is I don't feel I have anything to contribute, except questions.  Am I making sense, go ahead, I can take it  :D

I'm editing this because I didn't feel I was making sense.  I guess to be honest what I want to say is, especially for newbies I think keeping the forum adequate, but not too "busy" is best.  I had a heck of a time on the old site, I was overwhelmed for one thing, and couldn't find where I belonged.  I'd like folks to feel they belong in every part basically, does anyone else get that?  If we had a board for every single issue, or a group, it spreads people out instead of bringing them together. 

Like a small town compared to the big city.  Ok, I'm done ;)

Edited by [or...]
just trying to make it more understandable
  • Like 1

I think there should be a section still for  protracted withdrawal. Don’t want to make newbies who probably mainly use withdrawal advice, fearful they will suffer long term, but at moment the withdrawal section is really only space for us. Think the very fact we are protracted makes us less optimistic, which isn’t good for those just joining. Realise it is early days but maybe consider it. 

5 minutes ago, [[l...] said:

I think there should be a section still for  protracted withdrawal. Don’t want to make newbies who probably mainly use withdrawal advice, fearful they will suffer long term, but at moment the withdrawal section is really only space for us. Think the very fact we are protracted makes us less optimistic, which isn’t good for those just joining. Realise it is early days but maybe consider it. 

Hi @[le...]

You might be interested in this thread, and the thread linked from it. ;)

• Like 1

Well considering the only two sections I really paid attention to on here were the protracted board and alternative therapies board I guess I will be going back to Facebook benzo survivors group.   You all enjoy the “new and improved” (lol) benzo buddies.   I’m out 

• Love 1

On 10/08/2023 at 17:34, [[J...] said:

Well considering the only two sections I really paid attention to on here were the protracted board and alternative therapies board I guess I will be going back to Facebook benzo survivors group.   You all enjoy the “new and improved” (lol) benzo buddies.   I’m out 

Same here. This new format sucks. I mostly use reddit now.

1 hour ago, [[4...] said:

Ditto still struggling to use this and find things  Not easy. 

On 10/08/2023 at 23:34, [[J...] said:

Both of those are set to return as groups in the near future. Groups are semi-autonomous forum-type spaces.

On 15/08/2023 at 01:52, [[4...] said:

On 15/08/2023 at 03:38, [[K...] said:

Ditto still struggling to use this and find things  Not easy. 

Perhaps allow a little time for us to properly settle in here. There are many more additions in the works.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@[Ho...] I know it's frustrating getting to know a whole new setup after the familiar comfort of the old forum.  But I think if you stick with it the new site will become familiar and comfortable too.

• Like 1

On 01/08/2023 at 09:13, [[J...] said:

This is a group dedicated to the issues you want to discuss.

https://benzobuddies.org/forum/138-topics/

• Like 1