Advice for tapering please!

[Je...]

Hi everyone.

I’m so annoyed that I did this to myself. I didn’t think tapering would be so brutal.  I’ve been on 1.5 mg Xanax daily for about 3 months. For the 2 months before that I was taking it intermittently but pretty regularly.  My psych says to decrease 25% every week and ensures I’ll be fine. I’m having pressure headaches but nothing else. Are these headaches ok and part of the normal healing process? Or does that mean I’m going too fast? I want to get off of this but I don’t want to damage myself. She didn’t want to switch me to a longer acting Benzo. She wants me to taper the Xanax.

What do you think about the dose length of time that I used?? TY  :)

Hi Jess213 :hug:  Welcome to the forum.

Don't be hard on yourself, it only takes a few weeks for the body to become dependent on benzodiazepines. Sporadic use can lead to dependency.  Many members have successfully withdrawn from xanax without substituting.  I would slow this down, don't rush it. You've been on benzos 5 months altogether, 2 months sporadic use and 3 months consistent, I would slow it down.  Its generally advised reducing between 5/10% every 10/14 days, many need to go even slower.  You will get plenty of support to help you through this, you will recover from this ordeal.

The Ashton Manual is an authoritative source on what to expect in withdrawal and recovery.  Dr. Ashton was an expert in the field.  She describes and explains withdrawal symptoms, you'll also find  a list of common temporary symptoms.. CHAPTER III

The Ashton Manual

Withdrawal Support (during your taper).

The Xanax Club

Magrita