Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Could massage trigger wave of withdrawal?

Hi my understanding buddies,

I had a massage last week on Wednesday. A friend of mine, recovering alcoholic, said to watch out, the benzos (which I've been off 5 weeks) are stored in fat cells, and a massage can release stored benzos and caused more withdrawal.

Well, Thursday and Friday were my best days since my benzo free date of May 13. However, yesterday went downhill, and today as been my WORST day since benzo free. So I'm thinking my friend was right.

Could benzos have gotten released into the bloodstream after my massage, thus the two great days, and then caused this wave of awful w/d?

Sorry, I guess I have to try to understand this chaotic, unpredictable, evil process.

Happy father's day, men! Those of you who are getting off benzos, or who have gotten off benzos, can claim to have done something harder than natural childbirth (but don't use that to one-up your wives!).

Off to cook pasta for dad in this house . . .

[87...]

yram,

You help many members around here. :)

So, I will give you my input.

Sorry, I guess I have to try to understand this chaotic, unpredictable, evil process.

It is chaotic at its finest!

I had a few massage's, and they did amp me up for some reason.

Seems like it would help, but it made me feel more tense thereafter.

Hopefully others will weigh in, surely... but that's my experience with them.

Congrats on being Benzo-Free BTW!

S#

I had a few massages while I was tapering, and for some reason they made me feel worse for a few days.

But, the massage therapist told me that many people feel worse a few days after getting a massage, so I don't really know if it's benzo related or not.

I had a few massages while I was tapering, and for some reason they made me feel worse for a few days.

But, the massage therapist told me that many people feel worse a few days after getting a massage, so I don't really know if it's benzo related or not.

I used to get a few massages before this benzo mess and the therapists always told me to drink allot of water as massages release toxins into the body.  So what you say makes sense.  They feel great at the time (I had a few this past winter) and although they relaxed me and felt so good- I always felt very weak afterwards.

• 1 month later...
I have massages and a bit of numbness afterward but I still go monthly.  I like going and it gets me out of the house.  I had a bit of anxiety today after having one yesterday but I was given a prescription for Norfloxacin about a month ago and I am still having the effects of that sometimes so I think it might be more that than the mssage.  I have been having massages since I c'ted Ativan two years ago with no anxiety whatsoever so I am thinking it was the quinlone more so.

A massage is great, though the nervous system will be stimulated, and yes, toxins will be released into the blood stream; thats why they recoomend drinking more fluids to flush it out.  )Pattlu

A massage is great, though the nervous system will be stimulated, and yes, toxins will be released into the blood stream; thats why they recoomend drinking more fluids to flush it out.  )Pattlu

That's right.  I probably never drank enough yesterday.  The doctor recommended it for my anxiety.

Yram, and everyone else,

thanks for the heads up as I am required to start getting weekly hip/thigh masages next next week for an injury.  This is truly evil unpredictable stuff!  I would not have had a clue.

Yram, and everyone else,

thanks for the heads up as I am required to start getting weekly hip/thigh masages next next week for an injury.  This is truly evil unpredictable stuff!  I would not have had a clue.

Hope it works for you david.  I am not about to give up my massages even with the side effects.  I enjoy going over there far too much to give it up.

Yram - I've never had a massage so I'm no help to you regarding that, sorry.  I did want to ask if the Celexa was giving you any relief; I might want to consider an A/D, as my depression is just awful lately.  Sorry to change the topic...