Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

does a natural high event trigger an equivalent low

[fu...]

i have crossed over from xanax 1mg to 20mg Valium without any real issues, during last week i had reason to be overwhelmingly happy about something, I was on a high about it for hours.

About 2 days later I'm in bed racked with anxiety which has continued on and off this week Sunday i was in bed with it, was able to work on Monday, back in bed Tuesday, work Wednesday, back in bed Thursday and able to get back to work today.

It has just seemed to come out of nowhere, i have been symptom free for months (even during the crossover).

Anyone experienced this? does being on Benzos make you more susceptible to this 'crash'

awful thing is i am about to go on 2 weeks holiday with my wife and son and i still feel like the wolf is at the door

Because Valium is so long acting, I’ve seen some people react oddly to it.  I’m not sure its what has caused you to feel this way but nothing surprises me when it comes to these drugs. 

Are you anxious about your trip, or were you anxious before this cropped up?  I know stress can bring on some nasty symptoms, did anything happen between the time you felt that high and the crash?

Hey

No, not anxious about the trip, have been buzzing about it for so long, Yes there was an 'incident' that formed part of the high i felt but i cant pin it on that as it just doesn't feel like that could be the cause.

As you all know we get to become experts around how we are feeling and possible triggers etc.

It actually may be down to a change in my other medication, It became apparent a few years ago that my body and mind are not keen on differences in the excipients that manufacturers use in medications.

Feeling better now though but as always the drive to know what caused the low is present, just so i can stop it happening again.

:)

Thank you

I’m happy to hear you may have figured out the cause and have improved a bit, but yes, if we could understand what causes what, we can hopefully avoid it in the future.  But benzo’s don’t give us a clear view of any part of this process, changes can happen for no apparent reason.  :tickedoff:

• 4 weeks later...

fuzzyhead, this happens to me all the time.  I always crash if I get too happy, laugh too hard, watch an intense movie, or even talk too much.  It's hard because I love to laugh and all the other things as well.   I guess you're not alone in this.  Sorry!  I hope someday we can feel too happy and not worry about crashing.

• 2 weeks later...

I love to laugh, sometimes inappropriately but if I make other people laugh I love that too ;)  If I have a super day, I usually need a nap at about 3 I'm so tired of being happy I guess, :2funny:

That's awesome you can nap oregon! Is that something that came after a while of no napping from wd?  Not sure how long you've been off the drug.

And Glitter, so nice that you can enjoy the joy of laughter.  I'm just starting to find myself laugh a little after not being able to laugh of feel emotion.  It may sound odd, but I really need to cry and feel released from many many months of anhedonia and all of the pain this process brings.  It sucks feeling frozen and afraid so much.

well wishes to all of you who posted in this thread :balloon:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, [[w...] said:

That's awesome you can nap oregon! Is that something that came after a while of no napping from wd?  Not sure how long you've been off the drug.

And Glitter, so nice that you can enjoy the joy of laughter.  I'm just starting to find myself laugh a little after not being able to laugh of feel emotion.  It may sound odd, but I really need to cry and feel released from many many months of anhedonia and all of the pain this process brings.  It sucks feeling frozen and afraid so much.

Oh I cry too, wide very wide range of emotions, and they can change in the blink of an eye ;)  Napping is pretty easy when I get that worn out feeling, but I am 70 now, but even earlier in life I liked napping on afternoon weekends.  Usually I think because of all the carbs I used to eat.  I've been doing a very slow taper, it's all in my About Me section if you want to take a look, but basically, my symptoms are so mild.  The only thing that really has bothered me, that I am noticing, is getting a rush of anxiety.

I usually don't do anything I know will give me a rush of anxiety, but for example, last night I watched Top Gun - Maverick and omg, I even got my heart beating, like sort of palpatations, I cried and laughed in that movie, but I have a feeling I just shouldn't watch those sort of movies, :boxer:because I wanted to be there kickin some ass, LOL, and riding with Tom Cruise on his bike, but definitely not in his fighter jet ;)

• Like 2

I'll take a look at your About Me section for sure.  Thank you for your posts and sharing so openly.  

I know exactly what you mean with the instant heart palms from over-stimulating movies or music, or even a loud noice or fast, loud talking.  Those are the aggravators that make me want to isolate, but I force myself to endure the discomfort to the very edge becasue isolation is not good for me...my mind just talks and races with anxiety, fear and bad self-talk from this wd.  

Have a good rest of the evening!

9 hours ago, [[w...] said:

I'm so glad you're now getting some relief from anhedonia.  Anhedonia is the worst.  Usually, I say that depression is the worst, but then you can actually feel something.  I know what it's like to want so badly to feel something (anything!) to feel the slightest interest at all.  

Well, I admit, I cry more than I laugh these days, but when I get to laugh, it's great, although I have to be careful not to laugh too hard or too long, and the same with crying or any emotion.

Gosh, I hope you get to cry soon and feel some relief.