Ambien Withdrawal Should I Reinstate or do Valium Taper

[in...]

Last September I stopped Ambien cold Turkey after taking it intermittently for 7 months.  I usually only took 2.5 or 5 mg 3 times a week.  I only averaged 1.3mgs per day but it was enough to cause severe withdrawal.  I stayed off it for four solid months but suffered greatly.  After 4 months I developed severe unexpected health problems requiring 2 stomach surgeries and 2 heart surgeries.  The heart surgeries used Versed anesthesia (a Benzo) equaling a total of the equivalent of 45 mgs of Valium.  I begged the doctors to not use benzos because I was not fully healed from Ambien.  All my heart arteries had 90% blockages and required 6 large stents over 2 operations.  Due to the severe stress out of desperation I also used some low intermittent doses of Ambien over 3 months averaging about 1 mg per day.

Now I’m back in  severe Benzo withdrawal and suffer daily.  I am considering if I should try to water titrate Ambien or go reinstate Valium and do a taper with it.  I would not be alive today without the heart operations and the stress of it all has really destabilized my CNS and it is very depressing to be back here again. I just can’t seem to get stable after all that I have been through.

I have tried going cold Turkey again with the Ambien but it is unbearable now.  I would be most grateful for  any thoughts any others with experience may have!

Michael