Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

I need a plan

[p2...]

HI all,

Can someone here with experience help me with a taper plan ? I drew one up several months ago that I thought would be doable

however it's turned out to be very difficult. I assume that my taper is probably too drastic for me.

My doctor originally prescribed 1.0 mg Clonazepam taken once per day at bedtime. It was prescribed for problems associated with

my Diabetes: Depression, Insomnia, and discomfort caused by widely fluctuating blood sugar levels. On this regimen along with the

Diabetes drug Metformin and a low carb diet I was able to get my blood sugar level under control. I did this for about one year. I then

decided to taper off the Clonazepam. I began by pill-splitting the 1.0 mg into quarters, my first reduction was from 1.0 to 0.75 mg a

reduction of 0.25 mg. This was a bit difficult not really to bad. 10 days later I reduced my dose to 0.625 mg a reduction of 0.125 mg

I'd ask my doctor to prescribe some of the 0.5 mg tablets to make the pill-splitting easier. I've stayed with the 0.125 mg reduction about

every 10 days. I'd gotten down to 0.25 mg. After about 5 days at 0.25 I began feeling pretty awful so I had to go back up to 0.375mg.

I hated to do this but I was feeling too horrible ! After reading the Heather Ashton Benzodiazepine withdrawal protocol manual which I

shared with my doctor I ask her to prescribe some Diazepam hoping this would make things easier. She seemed to have a problem with

the equivalency 10 mg Diazepam = 0.5 mg Clonazepam and has so far refused. So I guess I'm going to have to resort to Titration.

So where do I go from here ? Thank you in advance for your help.

Hi p28800:

Titration could be a good option for you.  Please review the following videos to decide if you would like to do this.  You would need to purchase the supplies mentioned.  All are available on amazon.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RzUvM6M55s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Z4vckQcT2M

If you decide you would like to titrate your benzo, please supply with the information requested in this link, and I will get back to you with a plan within 24 hours. http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=11093.0

best,

Draftsman

Draftsman,

Thank you immensely for responding so quickly. I found a Benzodiazepine equivalency table on Google. I'm going to

present it to my Doc again tomorrow to see if I can convince her to switch me to Diazepam. If not I'll submit the info

for titration. Thanks again.

p28800

Draftsman,

Here is my titration info.

Start Date: 06-20-2011

Dose: 0.375 mg Clonazepam

Tablet Dose: 0.5 mg

Number of tablets: 0.75

Taper Rate: 10% of Dose every 10 Days

Cylinder: 100ml    1ml increments

Thanks  p28800

Hi p28800:

Here is a schedule for a 1% daily reduction based on your original .5mg dose.  The reduction rate is now applied to your current .375 dosage by starting you out with removing 26mls.  Please note I assumed you would be dividing each daily dose into two doses, AM and PM.  This can help with interdose withdrawal.  The following titration plan will take you about 75 days to complete.

Everyday, you will crush and titrate one pill (.5mg).

Crush 1 pill (.5mg) into powder and mix it thoroughly with 100ml (cc) liquid.  Each day, you will start with this original mixture (.5mg Clonazepam in 100mls liquid).  Each day you will cumulatively remove and discard 1ml from this mixture immediately upon mixing vigorously in the manner described below. 

So....

Day 1: make your original mixture and remove 26mls.  Divide the remaining into your daily doses, drink first dose, drink second dose 12 hours later.

Day 2: make your original mixture and remove 27mls.  Divide the remaining into your daily doses, etc.

Day 3: make your original mixture and remove 28mls.  Divide the remaining into your daily doses.

Day 4: make your original mixture and remove 29mls.  Divide the remaining into your daily doses.

Day 5: make your original mixture and remove 30mls.  Divide the remaining into your daily doses.

...and so on.

Make sure to keep a log of your cuts so you don't lose track.  We recommend you space your two doses 12 hours apart.  You can keep unused doses in covered glasses in the fridge for up to 3 days.  Your taper can easily be adjusted.  If you find you are doing well, you can speed it up by increasing your daily cuts to 2ml.  Conversely, you can always slow it down by removing 1 ml every other day!  Just play it by ear.  Let me know if you have any questions.

Draftsman

Draftsman,

I made a significant discovery. If your going to use milk as the titration liquid then the graduations ( increments ) on your graduated

cylinder should be black. Mine are white. This makes it more difficult to get accurate measurments.

Is there a better titration liquid than milk ?

p28800

Hi p28800:

If you are not happy with milk, you can always use water.  Just make sure you crush up the tablet really well (mortar and pestle recommended).

best,

Draftsman

Draftsman,

Question.... is my plan going to change if I use a 1.0 mg tab cut in half instead of a 0.5 mg tab ?

p28800

Hi p28800:

No, that does not change the plan.  But personally, I would prefer the .5mg. tablets over the 1mg. for precision sake.  I used Roche Klon, and the tablets tended not to divide all that evenly.  Use your best judgment.

best,

Draftsman