Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Anyone else have trouble during the day getting going?

[Ho...]

Mornings used to be just awful but they aren't anymore. However, after so long (months and months) of being upended because of withdrawal, I'm finding that I just can't get started with my day. I don't want to. Nothing interests me and everything seems flat. My husband and I were sort of forced into retirement during covid so all the things I was used to are gone.

Can anyone relate?

Is this benzo related or a commentary on retiree life? 

I would suggest finding something to help you establish a routine, so you get up and have something to do.  Engage your mind and you may find the things that interest you.  That being said, I’m completely familiar with anhedonia and the dulled emotions from benzo damage.  There are some days I could win the lottery and hardly get an emotional response. 

But, as a general rule of thumb, engaging your mind and making scheduled time for the things you enjoy is a way to facilitate positive emotions returning.  That’s to the extent you can do those things without other symptoms getting in the way.   

Is this benzo related or a commentary on retiree life? 

I would suggest finding something to help you establish a routine, so you get up and have something to do.  Engage your mind and you may find the things that interest you.  That being said, I’m completely familiar with anhedonia and the dulled emotions from benzo damage.  There are some days I could win the lottery and hardly get an emotional response. 

But, as a general rule of thumb, engaging your mind and making scheduled time for the things you enjoy is a way to facilitate positive emotions returning.  That’s to the extent you can do those things without other symptoms getting in the way. 

I'm not even sure!  :laugh:  I think the benzo recovery is impacting retiring. I get up, go under a 'sun' light with breakfast and then look at the day yawning ahead of me and feel buried already. I've made lists of tasks. I found that I always get to them and get them done, but I can't seem to get a routine going.

I do have some things scheduled regularly: Every Sunday, every other Wednesday plus outings with friends etc. But weirdly, on a daily basis, I always feel stuck. It's like I'm afraid to get into anything so I do nothing.

I completely take your points. I tried starting my day the way I used to, but it feels unfamiliar and funky. I honestly feel like such a loser now; I should be able to move forward but I'm stuck. Guess I need to keep working at it!! Thank you!