Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Sitting up longer

[ap...]

I'm off almost 11 months. My question is I have had to lay down a lot during the last 4 years due to dizziness and pain. Now, if I try and sit up longer during the day will it help my brain to readjust again? It hurts sometimes to sit up. If I can't manage to do this, will I still heal?Thanks

Hello AppleEater. When I saw this I couldn’t ignore this because I had this exact issue for a long time. Now, that’s not to say that you will. Everyone’s healing has their own process/progress. Just keep your eye on your finish line.  :thumbsup:

The answer to your question is Yes it will help your brain to adjust but in my opinion it won’t speed things up very much in the way we think. Here’s what I mean….

Our brains have been “ disrupted “ from their normal easy functionings. Until that is repaired, you will have these struggles. But, the way the brain “ relearns or adapts or adjust” is by repetition and engaging. The brain is the master of the body. All functions originate from the brain. Your body is the vehicle and the brain is the driver! It presses the gas, pump the brakes, shift the gears, etc. If a driver just sits in the car never cranks it, where is it going? Nowhere! Right? So, picture yourself as a car that needs repair and a driver that is not feeling so well. Those two combinations will surely make a heck of a ride. So in time the driver will feel better and the car get repairs. But until then, you still need to go to work, the store and drive to places in that car. So what do you do? You get in that car and drive it anyway because you got to do what you got to do.  :thumbsup:

So, IMO, sit up as long as you can a couple times a day. This will let your brain know that although you don’t feel good, you have to be able to sit up. Your brain will say “ ok, since I have to do this sitting up then I need to make a way to tolerate it.” This might take some time to figure it out. In the meantime, when you sit up try using a timer and please have yourself something to distract yourself while sitting up. This made it so much easier for me. If it’s nothing but simply having coins in your hand to add up or pick a color then look around the room for that color. Stopping on each object and describe it while sitting up.  :thumbsup: Those little sit up sessions will add up BIG!

Also chair yoga for the elderly on YouTube helped me a lot! There’s a lady named Sherry who’s awesome. Her chair yoga are fun with songs and easy movements.

Hello AppleEater. When I saw this I couldn’t ignore this because I had this exact issue for a long time. Now, that’s not to say that you will. Everyone’s healing has their own process/progress. Just keep your eye on your finish line.  :thumbsup:

The answer to your question is Yes it will help your brain to adjust but in my opinion it won’t speed things up very much in the way we think. Here’s what I mean….

Our brains have been “ disrupted “ from their normal easy functionings. Until that is repaired, you will have these struggles. But, the way the brain “ relearns or adapts or adjust” is by repetition and engaging. The brain is the master of the body. All functions originate from the brain. Your body is the vehicle and the brain is the driver! It presses the gas, pump the brakes, shift the gears, etc. If a driver just sits in the car never cranks it, where is it going? Nowhere! Right? So, picture yourself as a car that needs repair and a driver that is not feeling so well. Those two combinations will surely make a heck of a ride. So in time the driver will feel better and the car get repairs. But until then, you still need to go to work, the store and drive to places in that car. So what do you do? You get in that car and drive it anyway because you got to do what you got to do.  :thumbsup:

So, IMO, sit up as long as you can a couple times a day. This will let your brain know that although you don’t feel good, you have to be able to sit up. Your brain will say “ ok, since I have to do this sitting up then I need to make a way to tolerate it.” This might take some time to figure it out. In the meantime, when you sit up try using a timer and please have yourself something to distract yourself while sitting up. This made it so much easier for me. If it’s nothing but simply having coins in your hand to add up or pick a color then look around the room for that color. Stopping on each object and describe it while sitting up.  :thumbsup: Those little sit up sessions will add up BIG!

Also chair yoga for the elderly on YouTube helped me a lot! There’s a lady named Sherry who’s awesome. Her chair yoga are fun with songs and easy movements.

I’m not sure I agree with this entirely.  I think as one starts to heal that sitting up, in this instance, will start to get easier and one will find oneself doing a lot more of it naturally.  Yes, I’m sure there is sort of an acclimation period but I’m not convinced one can necessarily train themselves to sit up a lot without symptoms until healing starts to take place. 

I DID initially say that until it heals then nothing can speed it up or make it better.  :thumbsup:

BUT what I’m saying is WHEN it does heal a bit enough for you to do a little something, then start sending your brain the message that you’re supposed to be able to do that task. That is done by gently doing it.

I simply was answering your question from my experience and in hope of giving you some tools that might be a benefit to make it easier for you seeing you posted the question. No one else chimed in…I had such an awful symptom of not tolerating sitting up or walking very far….so out of my kindness, I replied. Sorry if it’s not what you were after.

Take care.

I DID initially say that until it heals then nothing can speed it up or make it better.  :thumbsup:

BUT what I’m saying is WHEN it does heal a bit enough for you to do a little something, then start sending your brain the message that you’re supposed to be able to do that task. That is done by gently doing it.

I simply was answering your question from my experience and in hope of giving you some tools that might be a benefit to make it easier for you seeing you posted the question. No one else chimed in…I had such an awful symptom of not tolerating sitting up or walking very far….so out of my kindness, I replied. Sorry if it’s not what you were after.

Take care.

Ok that makes more sense.  Yes, as you’re healing I agree.

It makes me laugh because I told a doctor I can’t exercise with this.  And, he told me of course I can, that I just start off small and work my way up.  I just shook my head and said you clearly don’t get it.   

My muscles contracting everywhere when I sit up so I lay down also for almost 2 years now

The dizziness is better it was a mild symptom for me

I don’t know if it’s true our brain heals faster

This whole neuroplasticity story and working on it is a bit annoying to me

Our brain will heal anyway . If you sleep , If you don’t sleep, if you sit, if you play videogames

Even under high stress the brain will heal

I have a friend who recovered from severe Benzo injury before this all and he said

Smoking 20 Marlboro a day is what saved me

Its maybe a joke but it explains nothing you have to do or force

Beside not giving up

Mascha it is more of a staying distracted thing. To give the brain something to focus on other than symptoms. It is proven that repeating or engaging in tasks helps the brain. That’s how we learned as babies…to grab, climb, crawl, walk, etc It is encouraging to the brain to do simple small things.