Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Titration Only Possible Method From .75mg/Daily and .5mg Tabs?

[SS...]

Okay kids, Now I really need help!  I've read elsewhere that I can cut a 1/4 tablet for each "cut" if I have the .5mg tablets.  That means a 1/4 tablet is .125mg.  And then supposedly I can keep doing quarter pill cuts every two weeks. 

But hold on!  It's also suggested to cut no more than 10% every two weeks.  If I cut a 1/4 tablet (.125mg) from a .75mg daily dose, that means the FIRST CUT is 16%, which is gonna' be harsh.  And it's going to get worse as I keep cutting!

So doesn't this mean I'm forced, really, into a titration schedule right from the very beginning, even though I have .5mg tablets?  Each possible cut is way above 10%, unless I'm calculating wrong!

Steven in New Mexico

Hi Steven:

You are correct, good call!  Your are in a bind with dry cutting if you want to follow the 10% guide from .75mg.

So doesn't this mean I'm forced, really, into a titration schedule right from the very beginning, even though I have .5mg tablets?  Each possible cut is way above 10%, unless I'm calculating wrong!

Yes, unless you want to do a Valium crossover.  Titration is a good option if you are comfortable with the procedure.

best,

Draftsman

That 10% is only a guideline and only applies to the higher doses, although many try to follow it all the way to the end by titrating just to have some plan to follow that they feel comfortable with.  I tapered by doing what you mentioned earlier:  dropping 1/4 of a .5mg tablet every 2 weeks or so.

I realize everyone is different, and if you did the whole deal by cutting 1/4 pill each time I am pleased (and maybe a little amazed?).

I figured I better do the whole math for my taper regime based on cutting 1/4 pill each time.

This would consist of SIX CUTS.  Regardless of the spacing, here are the percentages for each cut:

1st Cut:  17%

2nd Cut:  20%

3rd Cut:  25%

4th Cut:  33%

5th Cut:  50%

6th Cut:  100%

I realize, as you do, that the 10% figure is only a suggestion, but look at those number.  This seems extremely aggressive and, if not dangerous, potentially intolerable.  Hence my feeling that titration may be the only way to keep this manageable....

I'm a fan of titration at lower doses for those who can manage it, Steven.  Just don't get hung up on the percentages.  Even with titration, your second to last cut will be a 50% cut and the final one is always 100%!  ;)

[cf...]
1st Cut:  17%

2nd Cut:  20%

3rd Cut:  25%

4th Cut:  33%

5th Cut:  50%

6th Cut:  100%

I would not worry to much about the %'s.

10% every 7 - 14 days is the rule of thumb.

I think you have been given some good advice on how to taper off.

If you have any other questions, we're here for ya.

S#

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Found a Doctor (Psychiatrist) willing to work with me on a nice slow valium substitution, so won't be doing titration.  Wish me luck!

Thanks

Steven

Thank you Draftsman!  That looks like "Keith Richards" in your icon.  We stayed in Villefranche for a few weeks and I took my daily jog past "The Ville Nellcote" where the Stones holed up to do "Exile."

Best,

Steven

Thank you Draftsman!  That looks like "Keith Richards" in your icon.  We stayed in Villefranche for a few weeks and I took my daily jog past "The Ville Nellcote" where the Stones holed up to do "Exile."

Best,

Steven

Yes it is Keith!  The Ville Nellcote!! :)  I would love to see that place.  History was made there for sure.  There's lots of video footage on youtube of the Stones "stay" there.  Hope you're doing well.

Draftsman