Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Hi my name is Nicolette

[Ni...]

Hi everyone,

This is my first time here. I was trying to quit my Xanax by myself and through doctors till I started researching it on the net. Help! I'm on .25mg 4 x's a day and went to a new doctor a week ago. He gave Tredral to add to by Xanax and that made me feel sicker. I want to crossover to Valium or Klonopin. I'm in the US. I have another appointment next week. I printed the Ashton Manual. How do I approach the doctor?

Hello Nicolette, Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

I'm glad you started doing the research, when I quit I had no idea what I was doing to myself.  It's difficult to get Dr's in the US to prescribe Valium, but you may find one who will.  I'd certainly ask before I shelled out the office visit payment if he will.  You might be able to get someone to prescribe Klonopin, it has a much longer half life than Xanax. 

You've probably done all you can do to prepare for your Dr visit, but don't be surprised if he doesn't put much credence in Professor Ashtons work, as it is largely antedotal, but it's the best we've got.

Please ask questions, we're here to help.

Pam

Thanks Pam, actually I went on Xanax (alprazolam) in 2000 at the suggestion of my GP. I didn't know I was addicted until I started drinking regularly in 2007. Things got messy and I wanted to taper off. His formula was a 5 day taper off of both. I went to the ER (to different docs) with horrendous withdrawal. I ended up staying for 3 days.

Unfortunately I went back on Xanax in November 2009 when I was going through a difficult time, thinking the problem was the combo of alcohol + benzos (well the alcohol didn't help that's for sure). I didn't realize I couldn't get off of Xanax by myself. I'm on my fourth doctor since last October. It's getting expensive. I'm going back to him June 24 and I'll bring the manual with me and be real straight-forward about this.

Can anyone tell me what Xanax patients do to taper if they can't find a doctor to cross them over?

Thanks for any advice.

Hey Nicolette,

It sucks that we have to keep searching for doctors until we find one that will work with us, but that's how it seems to work for most. For me it was third time a charm. I brought in a taper schedule that I had written out and calmly explained to her that I needed to get off the benzos because they were causing me to lose my mind.

I had just stopped taking xanax c/t in a detox facility that used klonopin to detox from xanax (crazy I know), but since it had a longer half life I decided to taper from that and my doctor agreed. The funny thing is she said "no way" to valium like it was poison but xanax and klonopin were ok  ::)

Jeff M.

We have several members who have tapered or are tapering Xanax successfully, so it can be done, no worries if you can't find a Dr.  Xanax appears to be the nastiest because of it's short half life, but it's doable.  ;)

Thanks for your replies. Someone was talking about a compounding pharmacy, not sure what that is but I think they meant they grind the benzo into a powder. I haven't heard anybody talk about water titrating Xanax.

I'm only on 1mg a day and as it is I tried to go down to .75mg That didn't work so I yo-yoed up to 1.25mg. I'm trying to stabilize at 1mg. As it is by the time I get to the bottom of the bottle the Xanax is broken up in little pieces and before I started educating myself on this I was going according to my mood and usually made it to the end on the month. Can dry-cutting real precisely work? or would water titration be smoother if I can't find a doctor for the cross-over? I'm desperate to get off it, I just want to start a taper now, so I feel like I'm getting somewhere.

Hi Nicolette and welcome :)

Some people have used water titration to wean off xanax, you can start a thread in this link Titration Taper Plans to get a good direction and information.

As far as being precise with cutting xanax, I don't think you'll be able to be "precise", do you have the .25 mg tabs?

Hi Nicolette, Welcome!!!!  I am a newbie as well. Just started watching & learning about the Xanax

Taper.

Live in SF, California & have not found an MD yet that will work with the Crossover from Xanax

to Valium. Then, taper per the Ashton Method. 

However, have seen many here that have been successful with that Method.

Their Success Stories are what is keeping me going right now.  Am in Tolerance Withdrawal at this time,

on Xanax for 20 years .5 mg every 6 hours.

Keep me posted, and I will keep you posted if I find additional information that may help you in your journey.

Hanging in there for now...  Gina

Thanks, good to know there is a way out if doc does not do a cross-over from my Xanax.

Gina, I'm in fly-over country. I'm currently on .25mg 4 times a day. I think I'm in inter-dose withdrawals too. I'm on my fourth doc trying to get a proper taper.

I have heard USA doctors do not want to cross-over to Valium. (because of bad rep, lol, Xanax has 20 times the potency and has a short half-life)

I have heard some USA docs will cross you over to Klonopin. (it's high potency like Xanax, but with a longer half-life, so it's supposed to give a smoother taper, plus it's the one that's most similar to Xanax). You might want to try that. My next appt. with new doc (first Psych doc) is June 24. I'm going with Ashton Manual in hand and ask for either Valium or Klonopin. I'll report back on my Xanax taper thread how that goes.

If that doesn't work, some say you can water titrate. Something else I read tonight was to crush pills, weight and put in capsules, the theory that this would be more convenient and you can go down 10% every few weeks. 

Great to know there's a place to go for support, it's a relief. :)

[f3...]

Nicolette,

Welcoming you to BenzoBuddies,

I had to go through several doctors to find one to prescribe me Valium.

I crossed over from Klonopin to Valium, and yes, it helps with Inter-dose withdrawal.. in my experience.

It is a smoother taper.

If that doesn't work, some say you can water titrate. Something else I read tonight was to crush pills, weight and put in capsules, the theory that this would be more convenient and you can go down 10% every few weeks.

Yes, you can water titrate or use capsules.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

We're here to help.

Sigma.