Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Dental Issues/Bone Loss with Long Term Benzo Use?

Hi ALL, am a newbie & learning a lot; but have so many questions.

You all have so much more information about Benzos & are very sharing individuals.

Have been on Xanax for 20 years, now in Tolerance & experiencing withdrawals.

Am also experiencing Dental Issues & Bone Loss that

the mainstream docs/dds are unable to explain.

Anyone have any information on this?  Don't know if Benzos deplete the body/bones?

Thought this may be a good topic to share information that perhaps we can all learn from.

Thanks..... Gina

Gina ,  I went to thge denstist and he had to fill 5 cavities all in the roots of my teeth. My gums are receding and they were along that line.  He also could not understand that i got them so fast.  aura

Hi Aura, thank you for your response.

Wondering if many others are having the same issue?

Just had my 6th Tooth Extraction on Tuesday.  They have tried Root Canal Therapy, etc.

& nothing was working.

Over the last 10 years have had, now, 6 Extractions.  So many missing teeth & I had always

taken care of my teeth.

Been on Benzos for 20 years, wonder if it is a Long Term Use side effect/damage?

THANKS again...  Gina

I too have gum loss and I was at the dentist's less than six months before I started to taper and all was fine.  He was shocked...lost 1/3 of my gum line.  I also had gingivitus and an infection in one tooth that took two rounds of antibiotics to clear up.  THEN had a weird tooth ache under a cap...nothing suspicious showed up on the x-rays but because I was in so much pain I had an unnecessary root canal done.  The tooth still ached.  Because my gum line has shrunk so much I now need a number of fillings replaced as they fell out.

This stuff is unbelievable.

Donna

[b9...]

Hi guys,

Just went in to the gp for routine bloodwork, and my vitamin d was way down.  I've never had that problem before.  Perhaps this is along the lines of bone loss, or could lead to eventual bone loss?

I had 2 root canals which turned into 2 extractions because the pain would not cease while I was in tolerance w/d.  So far while in w/d I have had another root canal.  WTH?  I have always been anal about taking care of my teeth.

Ashton said this in one of her articles in PubMed:

"Many patients complained of toothache, and some had undergone extractions of apparently normal teeth."

Here is the link if you wish to read the full article:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1441411/pdf/bmjcred00496-0031.pdf

Hi guys,

Just went in to the gp for routine bloodwork, and my vitamin d was way down.  I've never had that problem before.  Perhaps this is along the lines of bone loss, or could lead to eventual bone loss?

It never cease to amaze me how many BBs have low Vitamin D.  I do not know if there is a connection...probably!

Hi All, THANK YOU for your responses.

Re: Vitamin D Levels. Do we think possible connection to Benzo Use?

Yes, was diagnosed low 3 years ago. Still trying to build bone with high doses of Vitamin D & Calcium.  Not working yet, and has been 3 years.  Wondering if it is the Benzos?  The Docs cannot figure out why am still having bone loss issues.

Re: Root Canals.

Tried several Root Canals & they were unsuccessful.  Wonder if this is another s/e of Benzo Use.

Extractions done, now 6 missing teeth.

Need to find out how to put my Benzo history onto my name.  Can anyone let me know how to do that?

Xanax for 20 years.  Now going through Tolerance Withdrawals.  Can't taper at this time, as am already

in withdrawal.  HORRIBLE!  Now in process of looking for a good MD or Detox Location. Not sure how

much longer will be able to hang in there.  My mind is getting extremely Foggy & Forgetful...

Gina...

Gina, send a Personal Message to Pamster and ask about how to add a signature and how to possibly switch to a benzo with a longer half-life.  You could be having inter-dose w/d on Xanax because of its short half-life.