Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Trying to get off Zolpidem/ambien

[Jo...]

Hi, my name is Johnny and I’m trying to get off a 5 year Zolpidem addiction. Dosage is between 5-15 mg per night, I know that’s not a lot but without it I don’t sleep. I also mix it with alcohol and thc. The pills are bought illegally.

My plan is to use maximum 10mg per day for 2 weeks, 5 mg per day for 2 weeks, and then 2.5 mg for 2 weeks.

The time is because I’m starting a new job in 7 weeks and need my head clearer

Hello Johnny80 :hug:  Welcome to benzobuddies, 

We are pleased to meet you.  It does worry me when members buy the drug illegally, you are never quite sure what’s in them!  It sounds like you have a plan, always best to taper at a rate you feel comfortable with. I know Ambien/Zolpidem is not a benzo but it needs to be tapered in the same manner as a benzodiazepines.  Can you try quitting the alcohol, it can be dangerous mixed with these drugs?  It is generally recommended to taper no more than 5-10% every 10-14 days.  We have a very helpful and friendly community. Please feel free to ask questions, our members are very knowledgeable, we will help and support you the best we can.

I will leave a link to the Ashton Manual, a it discusses benzo withdrawal, but there is some information about Z drugs.

Professor Ashtons Manual

Planning Your Withdrawal (TaperPlans)

You might like to post to this members support group: 

Z drugs Support

So that members can respond with the appropriate information I would ask you to create a signature line listing your medication and doses.    To do that  Go to the top of the page and select PROFILE then choose forum profile then insert drug history into the text box and remember to click change profile

Welcome Aboard

Magrita

Hey Magrita,

Thai you for your advice and reference to the z thread, t looks very helpful

Your welcome Johnny80, you'll find the z thread full of caring helpful people supporting and encouraging each other.

See you around the forum

Magrita :smitten: