Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Need advice on self taper vs in patient care

[Be...]

My psych wants me to quit opiates and benzos over 3 weeks in a psych facility under medical supervision. I want to do my due diligence, read others' experiences and be able to make an informed consensual decision on my treatment with the help of this board.

Codeine 240mg / day, Diazepam 15mg / day, Sertraline, Propanalol and Sodium Valproate (also Bipolar).

Hello BenzoFriendzone, welcome to BenzoBuddies,

Sounds like a great plan for getting off of the Codeine, Sertraline, Propanalol and Sodium Valproate, not a good idea for the Diazepam.  A treatment facility can get you safely off of the Diazepam but they can’t prevent the symptoms you’ll experience after that rapid withdrawal. 

Getting off of benzodiazepines is just the first step, after that comes recovery and it can last as long or longer than the taper, typical recovery for long term users is between 1 and 2 years.  Most members who have gone this route will reinstate the medication and do a slow taper because they’re in so much pain.

I’m glad to know you’re doing your due diligence, for many, getting off of benzodiazepines is the worst experience of their lives, it was for me and how we go about this takes serious consideration.

We typically suggest reducing your dose by about 5-10% every couple of weeks or what works better is using your symptoms to guide you, this can hopefully keep you functional.

I hope you’ll ask around the forum for input from others, this is a serious decision you need to make.

Pamster

Colorado Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidance

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper)

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

Ashton Manual symptom list

I am not trying to scare you, but your doctor sounds like they are in the dark about the possibilities of withdrawal and protracted withdrawal and the risks of rapid cessation from not one but two agents! This is dangerous advice on the doctor's part. Thank GOD you found this site and you didn't blindly listen. Just know that you can open the doors to a hell you never imagined getting off these drugs too rapidly or at the same time.

Watch Lisa Ling's CNN story on getting off of benzos:

Speak with Dan Landauer about this. He went through rapid cessation. It took him I think seven years to recover from it. 

His YT is https://www.youtube.com/@philosophicalfishing

His email is philosophicalfishing@gmail.com.

Consult a benzo-wise doctor like Dr. Josef Witt-Doerring for tapering advice. He is licensed in many states: https://www.wittdoerringpsychiatry.com/

His YT: https://www.youtube.com/@witt-doerringpsychiatry

Of course, if you search "detox" or "medical detox" on this site, you can see the stories yourself.

Good luck.