Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Back again unfortunately

[To...]

Hello, I'm in urgent need of help. I went through a terrible benzo withdrawl about 10 years ago, and promised myself never again. I recovered eventually, but it took a long time.

Now, years later, I was going through an awful week for personal reasons, not sleeping, terrible anxiety. My doctor said that I could use benzos again very short term without issue as long as I kept it to under a couple weeks. I ended up taking 0.5mgs Klonopin 5 times over an 8 day period, that's it. 2 days after my last dose, I have awful anxiety, stomach upset, mild confusion, and erectile dusfunction. PLEASE tell me 5 times in 8 days isn't enough to take me back through withdrawl hell again...

What should I do?!? I'm a total idiot and deserve whatever comes to me.

Hello Totalmoron88 - Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

You've come to the right place for information and support from others who understand what this process is like.  I'm sorry you're in a tough spot having quit benzos 10 years ago and then taking them again very short term. 

Please explore the site and post with questions about your situation.  You may want to start with the links below but please be sure to reach out for support.

We're glad you're here-

Brighterday

Post-withdrawal Recovery Support 

Success Stories

Chapter 3 Ashton manual, list of symptoms

Add your history/signature

I have not had this experience, so I can't say. But clearly, your body is speaking to you about benzos. If you are two days off, then perhaps staying off is the way to go -- FOREVER. Just cross them off the list permanently and say you are allergic to them in your medical files. Work on the anxiety with other therapies. It seems you may have dodged a real bullet here by stopping again in time. Hopefully, the symptoms go away soon. Thank you for reminding me that reinstatement is never an option. I have considered it many times. So...no....

Do you guys think I should taper or CT? This might be one of the few cases that CT makes sense since it was such incredibly short usage.

If you're off already I would try to stay off if I were you. And indeed. You seem too sensitive so better to not take them again in the future. You could try to do a genetics test to see if other medications would be an option for you if you really want to go through the medication route.

Yes I’ve been totally off since Friday, that was my fifth dose in the 8 day window I mentioned. Symptoms peaked around 5pm yesterday, and Honestly started feeling much better last night. Was very anxious this morning but feeling better again this afternoon. Is this yo yo pattern this early a good sign?! Praying that I dodged a bullet here. Thanks for the support

My two cents is that if I were you I would just stay off it.  It may be a bumpy ride for a while but better than risking developing greater dependence in the course of tapering.