Important Survey - Please Participate ×

New to BB ; life long panic attacks ; starting diazepam taper from Xanax

[Ge...]

My name is Genghis, I am 30 years old, 5’8” and weigh 200 lbs. i have battled anxiety and panic since I was 4 years old. I struggled with drug addiction (now I know I was treating anxiety) from 15-21. When I was 23, my panic disorder kicked into full gear. I would have 2-3 panic attacks a day, lasting 2-3 hours per attack.

I ended up calling 911 on myself 16 times in 6 weeks at the peak of my panic. My life was worse than when I was using drugs. I could not function in any area of my life. The doctor sat me and my mother down and explained that if I didn’t take anxiety meds, I would be locked away in a facility.

I made the decision (a tough one) to take Xanax responsibly (as I was a drug addict). For the next 7 years I took my medication as prescribed.

.5 mg of Xanax 3 times a day. For years this kept my anxiety at bay and allowed me to live somewhat of a normal life. Of course panic attacks would stop by, but for the most part, I was back to “normal.”

The last 2 years or so I have noticed an increase in panic attacks, brain fog, memory issues, etc. It is time to get off my Xanax. I have talked with my doctor and after doing some research I will be switching to Diazepam for my taper. Today, May 8th 2023 is the FIRST day of my taper and I just took my first dose of diazepam (5mg) at night instead of my .5 of Xanax.

It is important to know that I fluctuate with my Xanax dose between 1 mg daily and 1.5 mg daily. It depends if I have an attack or not.

I will not lie, I am very fearful of this taper and living without benzo’s. My panic attacks are the world’s worst. To put it in perspective, if someone said to me “if we amputate all your limbs, you’ll never have a panic attack again,” I would do it. This is how desperate I am.

I have recently switched to a high fat carnivore diet (3.5 weeks ago) and have noticed a big difference in my anxiety levels. They have dropped significantly and this gives me hope.

I joined this community to see if anyone can help me through this. I’m willing to hear what people suggest for a taper, diet, supplements, lifestyle, anything.

I am in desperate need of some relief. I hope I am in the right spot.

Hello GenghisKhan, welcome to BenzoBuddies,

I’m so sorry to know about your panic and anxiety, what your life was life before Xanax was horrific, I hate that the drug is no longer working for you and you need to taper off of it.

I’m concerned about your crossover, do you plan to do it in stages to allow the Valium time to build up in your system?  Also Professor Ashton recommended 10 mgs Valium to .5 mgs Xanax, but this calculator provides a range.  https://clincalc.com/Benzodiazepine/

I’ve included a sample taper plan for Klonopin but its about the same strength as Xanax, this gives you an idea of how to make the crossover in stages. https://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/bzsched.htm#s5

We’ll support you as you go through this, you know it won’t be easy but you sound strong and determined.  Do your doctors have another medication in mind for your anxiety once you’re free of the Xanax and recovered from your use?

I’ll provide some links to help you find your way around the forum, but please let us know how we can help.

Pamster

Colorado Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidance

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper)

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

Ashton Manual symptom list

My doctor wrestled with me when I told him that every benzo calculator on the internet was telling me something different than he was. He told me they were wrong, to get off the internet and take the pills.

Needless to say after hearing you are concerned about the conversation ratio, I will be finding myself a new doctor who is willing to listen to me.

My after taper plan has yet to be established. I know of these things that I will be taking as I approach my jump off over the next year.

I plan to integrate -

CBD @ 50-100 mg twice daily

Micro dosing mushrooms to rebuild neuro pathways

Methylene Blue as it also helps rebuild pathways

I am looking into ketamine infusions to also help repair the brain.

I recently quit pot, as it can sometimes be an anxiety trigger for myself, and I will quit vaping nicotine as I do not need a stimulate as I begin my taper.

I think for now, I will hold off on my taper until I are a doctor who is willing to listen to me.

I will say, eating this carnivore diet has given me a tremendous amount of hope you live a somewhat normal life some day.

Thank you for the different resources you have provided for me. I plan to follow the Ashton manual link you sent me and the other reference material. I do want to see my doctor first. I have ample amounts of xanax saved up (a phobia of move is running out.)

I will be in this forum a lot, and will l listen to others who have more experience than I do.

What I would give to feel human again.

its 10 mg v to .5 of X so if you took 1.5 mg total it should be 30 mg v to start your drs an idiot like most find another dr