Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Never seem to learn!

[BO...]

Hi, I am a male who has like so many, been suffering from depression/anxiety for at least 20 years!

Had tried many antidepressants ect ect, I am 56 and have been using benzos on and off for almost all of those 20 years, (almost always prescribed and almost always as directed) but with quite lengthy breaks in between.

Over the last 2-3 years I have been buying from the Internet, as doctors clamped down and my regular doctor retired!

To cut it shorter (than what it already is) I bought diazepam 10 mgs, a few strips of lorazepam 2.5 mg) and NOW more regular Clonazepam/Klonopin, which started at 2mg then 2mg 2×daily then 3 × daily.

I was stupid enough to try to cold turkey.

All seemed alright until about day 3 then BAM!!!

I ended up in hospital (3 times over last year, because of withdrawal!

I was hallucinating and just about every other symptom that goes with it/them.

They just left me in a room in the hospital with the door locked NO TAPER!

So this time although I have been taking it daily usually 2mg morning and 2mg nightly (for about 4 months) I have decided just to split the pill and go 1mg morning and 1mg at night (sublingual) to see how it goes!

So any thoughts would be appreciated!

Cheers.

Hello BONES37 :hug: Welcome to benzobuddies.

We are glad you are here, you have joined a very supportive community.  I am sorry you experienced cold turkey, the symptoms are extreme.  Please taper off your Klonopin slowly!,  a 50% reduction is way too much!  We suggest reducing no faster than 5-10% every 10-14 days, and some taper even slower than that.  Having some withdrawal symptoms is normal.  The most common symptoms are anxiety and insomnia,  withdrawal symptoms are temporary and do go away with some time.  You will learn more about tapering on the taper boards.  I will leave you  links to support groups perhaps you'd like to introduce yourself there, the members are very knowledgeable where these meds are concerned.

Klonopin Klub #2

The Ashton Manual  provides a great deal of information that can be very reassuring during any stage of this process, including a list of common symptoms with helpful explanations. . CHAPTER III

Here are a few links to resources:

The Ashton Manual 

Colorado Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidelines

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper)

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

If you would like to add a signature (history of meds/doses etc) it will help members give you relevant advice.  Go to the top of the page and select PROFILE then choose forum profile then insert drug history into the text box and remember to click change profile

Welcome Aboard

Magrita