Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Off benzo for four years, here to support a family member

[Ro...]

I was cold turkeyed off X four years ago and had a relatively easy time with withdrawal compared to my sister (and many others we now know about) who was prescribed At without being informed of the potential for side effects, dependence, and withdrawal. She was forced to switch to Kln and is now suffering from the worst withdrawal I've ever heard of. She is stuck trying to do an extremely slow taper while experiencing numerous, immensely horrible symptoms. I hope she and I can one day work to raise awareness of the potential for such awful injury from the drug and the resulting damage it does to people's lives.

Hello Rosie Gould - welcome to BenzoBuddies!

Congratulations to you for getting off Xanax - you were fortunate to have a relatively easy time after a cold turkey.  So sorry your sister has suffered so much.  How lucky she is to have your support - as you know this can be a very lonely path and support can make all the difference.  You'll find plenty of good information here and support from others who understand what this process is like.

Please look around the site and post with your questions.  Below are a few links to start with.

We're glad you found us-

Brighterday

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper Plans)

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

Success Stories

Colorado Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidance

Chapter 3 Ashton manual, list of symptoms

Add your history/signature

Thank you so much for the approval and kind message. My sister has found a great deal of useful information and compassionate support here. We are desperately seeking a solution as she has been horribly sick for two years and bedridden for 18 months, and her progress has sort of stalled out the last couple months. Neither I nor her husband and doctors know what to do. Much of what I have found suggests there are very few experts in this massive, devastating health issue despite the knowledge that benzos can destroy lives having existed from the beginning of this drug's availability over 50 years ago. So, we are bewildered and beyond frustrated. My sister is constantly afraid she won't survive this. We need to find some answers and solutions. She has been a member here for almost the whole time she's been sick from it, and it has helped her a lot. I want to support her as best I can and hope to increase my understanding of this horrible condition. My heart aches for every person afflicted by this dangerous drug and their family and support people.

Thank you again. I'm very glad to be approved to join and hope to increase my understanding of this condition and learn from other members' experiences.

This is a heartbreaking situation.  Again, it's incredibly loving of you to support your sister this way.  I wish there were a simple answer. 

Is she taking any other meds or supplements? I ask because some meds and supplements can complicate withdrawal.

This is heartbreaking. I'm so sorry she (and her support system) are experiencing this. My life was devastated from about 2019 until now, when I'm finally seeing some light at the end of the tunnel (but the future is a big unknown). We understand the struggle-- and here for you guys.