Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Tolerance during regular benzo use vs withdrawal tolerance?

I was actually on K for 4 years from 2003 to 2007 - same dose daily.  Never grew tolerant(lucky I know)

Of course my first withdrawal=pure hell.

Heres my question - Im liquid titrating since march - dry tapered from jan-march.  I want to slow down a little on my liquid as I am nearing the end.  Its getting harder.  I was living with the balance and dizziness, but last night the symptoms I had from my first taper came back.  Felt like my brain was electrified, over active, every sound scared the hell out of me - I cant handle that and certainly not for God knows how much longer.  So would it be ok to try and stabilize a little right now?  I figure slowing a little and risking some tolerance is better than going too fast...

I am certainly no expert on tapering but I think the overall consensus is to "listen to your body".

That said, I would recommend keeping a close eye on the ultimate goal to make sure you don't accidentally trick yourself into believing that you can't come off. Personally I just plowed my way through an improper taper which might not have been the best way to go to cushion the landing but at least it got me off of clonazepam. When you are taking it slow holding trying to ease the pain I can see how it might be all too easy to rationalize staying on the drug longer than you should.

There really are no shortcuts to this. The best you can do is find that balance between tapering to soften the blow and getting the meds out of your system once and for all.