Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Toxic naps

[dj...]

I have these really badly and I cannot tell you how screwed up I feel the rest of the day 75% of the time when I happen to actually fall asleep.  It’s like a weird anxious confused state and my cognition is really, really off.  It’s really off most of the time but this is something else.  Screwed up is the best way to put this feeling.  Everything seems wrong. 

Anyway, anyone else get these?  I would like to avoid naps altogether but generally I’ll take sleep any way I can get it.

I have these really badly and I cannot tell you how screwed up I feel the rest of the day 75% of the time when I happen to actually fall asleep.  It’s like a weird anxious confused state and my cognition is really, really off.  It’s really off most of the time but this is something else.  Screwed up is the best way to put this feeling.  Everything seems wrong. 

Anyway, anyone else get these?  I would like to avoid naps altogether but generally I’ll take sleep any way I can get it.

Yes, the same thing happens to me. I am so sleep deprived from pain and the times I have napped gave me extreme anxiety and increased pain after waking up. I used to love my naps.

I need them now but am to afraid of the aftermath at this point. I’m 16 months off and wish I could do so. I’ve read where others have the same, sadly.

I hope we are able to nap again soon.

I get this every day and it's truly cruel waking in a horrible panic with your heart beating like a drum! My heartbeat is obvious to me all through withdrawal but the anxiety that comes with waking is torturous.

I haven’t been able to avoid the naps the past couple of weeks.  I get so tired around noon/1pm and am in and out of sleep for about 30-45 minutes which is enough to wake up feeling awful. 

• 1 month later...
Anybody else get these?  I can literally fall asleep for five second and end up having a toxic nap.  The level of anxiety and confusion I have upon waking is so overwhelming.  There is a good 30-60 minutes where I kind of want to die because I’m so confused and even something simple like tying my shoes is too much.

I've had those, and I still have it a little.

I've had times where I didn't know who I was or where I was. Or like you already explained, a really messed up state of consciousness.

The good news is that it gets better and it will dissapear.

I tried taking a 20 minute nap today after abstaining for a long time and nope-still can't do it. Pounding heart and vibrations galore.

Gotcha, me too. Falling into the nap is delicious. Coming out of it wipes all the goodness away. It's getting a tiny bit better.

Someday!

I've had those, and I still have it a little.

I've had times where I didn't know who I was or where I was. Or like you already explained, a really messed up state of consciousness.

The good news is that it gets better and it will dissapear.

Yes, I can relate.  Sometimes when I wake up, I’m so confused and don’t really know where I am or who I am.  And this last for like 30-60 minutes.  It’s not like a 2 second ordeal that many people get when they are awoken from slumber.  My toxic naps have this market state of anxiety/confusion, like there is something I need to be doing now but don’t know what it is.  Can’t think.  I wish I could avoid the naps but I really can’t.

I have that, too! I have always been wondering where that comes from... I hate taking naps because of that but I have to several times a day because of my fatigue which is my worst and most prominent symptom... It's gotten better a bit... but still there.. I am in month 3...

Ashton says anxiety level is still high after complete cessation and slow wave sleep which I think we need to sleep and relax and "charge our batteries"  to function and feel wake needs a long time to return... but she says it will eventually return.