Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Is recovery from adrenal fatigue/heal the HPA axis possible while on benzos?

[fu...]

Or such symptoms only fade away/get better when you are off.

I have some drugs to taper as you can see in my signature so may need to think about a plan on what to do while tapering. Is it possible to heal from AF while still on benzos?

• 2 months later...
The answer is no. We cannot totally heal by using pharmaceuticals. The best thing to do is keep a strict diet with organic veggies and healthy grains. With adrenal fatigue and CFS the body is highly sensitive to chemicals. The adrenals are affected by benzodiazepines and antidepressants. These meds drain the glands and produce tiredness, weakness, jittery ness, ect. After tapering off there’s a lot of rebuilding and rebalancing that needs to be done.Healing is possible but the body cannot heal from diseases or imbalances with drugs in it. Drugs treat symptoms only.

The answer is no. We cannot totally heal by using pharmaceuticals. The best thing to do is keep a strict diet with organic veggies and healthy grains. With adrenal fatigue and CFS the body is highly sensitive to chemicals. The adrenals are affected by benzodiazepines and antidepressants. These meds drain the glands and produce tiredness, weakness, jittery ness, ect. After tapering off there’s a lot of rebuilding and rebalancing that needs to be done.Healing is possible but the body cannot heal from diseases or imbalances with drugs in it. Drugs treat symptoms only.

Hello Baraquh,

You’ve made some bold statements, please back them up with credible reference links.

Thanks,

Pamster

The adrenals don't crash, nor do they stop producing glucocorticoids. It's more something like a country's budget, if you constantly allocate it to warfare (fight-or-flight), there is nothing left for healthcare, or education(don't mean to imply anything ::)).

Okay fair enough, Newgirl, I just meant they can burn out. I lived it because of a too rapid taper frolm cortisone. It is what led to this mess for me.my DHEAs values were first crazy high and I was in fight/flight and then it all fell to a "crash".

Okay fair enough, Newgirl, I just meant they can burn out. I lived it because of a too rapid taper frolm cortisone. It is what led to this mess for me.my DHEAs values were first crazy high and I was in fight/flight and then it all fell to a "crash".

Abrupt cessation of exogenous corticosteroids leads to what is called "adrenal insufficiency", which displays basically the same symptoms as Addison's Disease. It is diagnosed by testing serum cortisol levels (they will be too low). This has nothing to do with so-called "adrenal fatigue" for which there are no tests at all. Or to put it another way: people with so-called "adrenal fatigue" will test normal for all glucocorticoids. So there is no objective, scientific way to diagnose this alleged disorder, and people who claim to be suffering from it have no evidence for their claim, other than vague symptoms that could be caused by any number of other conditions. And that is the problem with claiming that you, or someone else, is suffering from "adrenal fatigue". It will cause you to ignore the real cause of your symptoms, while you busy yourself with megadosing on pantothenic acid, and other such health-food-store quackery.

Excellent answer, Redevan:thumbsup:

Cocodot, I am sorry you went trough so much suffering because of that misguided cortisone taper and unfortunate benzo rx after. It was very unfair to you. As for anyone having to go through this hell, really.  :sick:

Sure, makes sense but my doctor did in retrospect use it as a diagnosis. No surprise they are wrong etc. But that is what they said.

I had been very ill, bedridden and had lost a lot of weight and muscle even before being prescribed benzos.  Eventually, one doctor did diagnose me with Adrenal Fatigue.

I was very burned out.  A few years later, I was diagnosed with mold issues and Lyme disease as well. I think all of these probably contributed to my poor health.

Benzos added to the mess but, despite the difficulties both taking them and then tapering, I was able to slowly regain better health.  It was incredibly difficult but, possible!

Best wishes to you during your tapers!

I don't doubt that your Drs. diagnosed you with Adrenal fatigue, but I have something to say about it.

Medicine may be a science, but many doctors are not scientists. I don't know exactly what they are being taught in medical school, but from my observation, I don't even think they are being trained in the scientific method and/or critical thinking skills. They peddle whatever the sales reps are promoting (in the best case), if they aren't downright quacks (in the worst case).

Sure, there many great doctors out there, without a doubt, but I think it's in our best interest to maintain a bit of skepticism and look at the research for any of their claims. Just like Redevan did, in his previous post, by providing ample citation from various sources. Otherwise, we risk falling for the "appeal to authority" logical fallacy, believing that a claim is true simply because a valid authority or expert on the issue said it was true, without any other supporting evidence offered.

Best wishes,

NG

• 4 weeks later...

Pamster I’m still tryin to learn this new format. Just know that this is an attempt to respond to your reply. I’ve had doctors tell me personally and literature explains that pharmaceuticals only treat symptoms. They do not heal the body.

On 10/08/2023 at 13:12, [[B...] said:

Pamster I’m still tryin to learn this new format. Just know that this is an attempt to respond to your reply. I’ve had doctors tell me personally and literature explains that pharmaceuticals only treat symptoms. They do not heal the body.

I understand this Baraqah, my request for documentation was for this statement.

On 13/07/2023 at 10:02, [[P...] said:

With adrenal fatigue and CFS the body is highly sensitive to chemicals. The adrenals are affected by benzodiazepines and antidepressants. These meds drain the glands and produce tiredness, weakness, jittery ness, ect.

Pamster , hi I’m just wondering why do we need this documentation when we’re living examples? These meds affect the gland and neurotransmitters which are produced in the adrenals. I will locate some information.

12 hours ago, [[B...] said:

Pamster , hi I’m just wondering why do we need this documentation when we’re living examples? These meds affect the gland and neurotransmitters which are produced in the adrenals. I will locate some information.

Hi Baraqah, 

Yes, we are living examples of the disruption these medications have caused us and sharing this with others is what helps us cope with our own challenges.  But when making statements of fact, its important to share how you came to your conclusions.  Do you have credible peer reviewed documents?

Most of us here aren't scientists so when someone posts an opinion stated as a fact, many will take this at face value and pass it along to others, this is how misinformation starts and spreads.  You're entirely welcome to your opinion but please state it as such unless you have data to back up your claims. 

I'm not singling you out, and don't want to put pressure on you to scour the internet looking for backup, my goal is to inform our readers of the dangers of making absolute statements.  Our choice of words is important, I try to be very careful to use words such as likely and possibly. I know this sounds wish-washy but the imprecise nature of our situation (not enough research by the scientific community) means we don't have the luxury of knowing what's really going on. 

Pamster