Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

When will it be ok to drink alcohol again??

Hey everybody im still tapering off my valium....i am now by 14mg from 80mg  back in august 2010...ive been cuttin as of now .5-1mg every week seems to be goin pretty smooth for me, i juss have some mild depression and anxiety and other w/ds but i already know its just withdrawal and i have to keep my head up no matter wat and so far im headed in the right direction  :)...n with faith i will be done SOON! I just wanted to know after im done with benzos more or less how long before i can even touch alcohol??? i havent drank since august of last year n i dont want to relapse once im finally off the benzos...all i wanna know is once im off benzos wen can i start to drink occasionally like i once did?? Thanks!

[46...]
Just read a huge thread on another board about the pros and cons of drinking while tapering. Seems to be a lot of different thoughts. Someone even claimed Prof Ashton said it was ok to drink in moderation. I'm not taking chances and have cut back.

Yea i kno im not tryin drink now not even one beer! lol cuz im on the same boat as you im not having ANY setbacks i already had one of them back in december , I meant to say once ur completely off the benzos how much time should i give it more or less? cuz i do wanna get back to my life and have some drinks here n there im only 25 LOL

Can someone post the link where Ashton states drinking in moderation is ok...............Just curious because I would love to just have a few beers when I go to the festivals this summer.............. :-\............and I am still tapering.

Similarly with alcohol: a glass or two of wine is perfectly permissible (and even said by some to be advisable for health). Although it is important not to substitute increasing doses of alcohol for decreasing doses of benzodiazepines, there is no need to deny oneself small pleasures. Moderation is the key: there is no call to be puritanical.

http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/bzcha03.htm

Avoid compensating for benzodiazepines by increasing your intake of alcohol, cannabis or non-prescription drugs. Occasionally your doctor may suggest other drugs for particular symptoms (see Chapter III, Withdrawal Symptoms), but do not take the sleeping tablets zolpidem (Ambien), zopiclone (Zimovane, Imovane) or zaleplon (Sonata) as they have the same actions as benzodiazepines.

http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/bzcha02.htm

I was at the worst point in my withdrawals when I had a couple of drinks. I was feeling so lousy from the withdrawals, I couldn't tell if the drinks affected me or not.

I haven't had anything to drink since that one time, and I probably never will again. The benzo fiasco has taught me that our bodies are really unique, like a fine-tuned  racing car, they need the best of care to perform at their peak.

I'm not preaching against drinking, a cold beer on a hot summer day tastes pretty darn good!

[59...]

Ashton does say that drinking in moderation, even during tapering, is OK if one wants to do it and is not substituting alcohol for benzo.  But I think that she made this statement sometime back and I don't think it is based upon scientific analysis, but just wishful thinking.  Ashton is correct about a lot because she has engaged in detailed studies for a long time, but like other doctors, and everyone else, she does say some things that really have no basis because they sound logical, so I wouldn't rely too much on her having said that.

It seems that everyone has different types and different degrees of reaction to withdrawal and other substances.  Having read a bunch of posts, I have seen a number of people say that they had an occassional drink or two throughout and after withdrawal, and did OK, and other say that they had a little tiny taste and did poorly.

I had tapered and was off at the end of October.  I had been off for 9 days and then had one beer.  That night I felt a little odd, but I was having symptoms anyway, so I don't know if that was caused by the beer.  The next day I started having blood pressure spikes, something that I had had during the end of my first attempt to taper two months earlier.  These got worse and I reinstated, which did not help.  I will never know whether or not the alcohol was the culprit.  But now that have been off for 6 weeks and feeling pretty good, I am going to refrain from alcohol for at least the rest of this calendar year and then decide.

One thing that I think is prudent, if one is considering trying alcohol, is to try a very small amount at first.  I read posts where people say that they were feeling good so they went out for 2 or 3 beers and then had a problem.  I think that it makes sense, if one wants to try alcohol after a period of time and is not sure how it will affect them, to start with 1/4 of a drink and see if that is a problem.  If 1/4 is OK, then maybe a week later, try 1/2 a beer and then over time, if there is no problem, then slowly work up to 1 beer etc.  You might be able to tolerate 2 or 3 beers, but if you don't know, and if you are sensitive to alcohol, you are likely to get a less severe problem with a lower amount.

wow, i sure miss a cold beer at the end of a day  :'(

Pam, those are great links!! I am going to wait though, till I feel hardly any WD before i even put my toe in those waters..

IMO its better to wait a year after full healing though many don't and are just fine. I have seen too many ppl take a drink then get slammed a bit later and couldn't forgive themselves for drinking, regardless of whether booze was the culprit or not. If you freak out too easily then its better to abstain.

cupcake

Similarly with alcohol: a glass or two of wine is perfectly permissible (and even said by some to be advisable for health). Although it is important not to substitute increasing doses of alcohol for decreasing doses of benzodiazepines, there is no need to deny oneself small pleasures. Moderation is the key: there is no call to be puritanical.

http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/bzcha03.htm

Avoid compensating for benzodiazepines by increasing your intake of alcohol, cannabis or non-prescription drugs. Occasionally your doctor may suggest other drugs for particular symptoms (see Chapter III, Withdrawal Symptoms), but do not take the sleeping tablets zolpidem (Ambien), zopiclone (Zimovane, Imovane) or zaleplon (Sonata) as they have the same actions as benzodiazepines.

http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/bzcha02.htm

This was very helpful, thanks!  I was under the impression that drinking at all was an absolute no-no, even wine. I think I'm going to try a glass of wine or one of my organic mixed drinks and see how I react. Even before stopping, I never drank more than once a week, so hopefully I'll be fine.

I think it is important to note that the reason why people refer to drinking as having "a couple of glasses of wine" is because that is more socially acceptable than saying "a couple of shots of Jack Daniels".

I react to different kinds of alcohol in different ways but I doubt that sticking to any one type of alcoholic beverage is going to be any better or worse for you in regards to the benzo WD. I'm still somewhere in the middle of this debate in that I have cut back on my alcohol consumption, but after a little experimentation I don't feel that it has a significant impact on my WD symptoms. I can go out and have several drinks and wake up the next day feeling like hell, or I might wake up in a big beautiful window.

As far as the possibility of it prolonging my recovery there is no way of knowing but as I continue to feel better and better I'm not going to hold myself back from living my life any more than I have to.

[46...]

I think it is important to note that the reason why people refer to drinking as having "a couple of glasses of wine" is because that is more socially acceptable than saying "a couple of shots of Jack Daniels".

That does make one sound like an alcoholic.  :laugh:

I can't drink beer or wine due to something in them that triggers my menieres symptoms, but hard liquor seems to be ok. I never drink more than an ounce or two, so i'm not terribly worried. I can't even remember the last time i got buzzed or hungover.

for me alcohol really was hampering my healing, but I wasn't having one or two, I was getting drunk, not all the time but a lot, so once I was convinced it had an affect, I quit altogether some 14 weeks ago, but I agree it is different for every one, but I think being careful to be extremely moderate to start and then continuing that in general, is a good plan

thanks

LK

Hi Everyone,

Wow this really help shed some light for me. I only joined this site a couple weeks ago and before reading all your blogs never really understood the relationship between alcohol and my withdrawal. All I knew was drinking was never fun while withdrawing. A casual glass of wine (which I really enjoy) suddenly zapped all my energy, my mood changed and the next day I felt really depressed. I miss this part of my life and dread when my closest friends ask me to go for dinner or a drink because part of that is enjoying a glass of wine.

Funny how God works in mysterious ways. Up until a 8 months ago I was living in Miami and had a very social fun life, unexpectedly at the height of it all I had to leave. I miss my home, my husband, my life  :( Anyway as faith would have it I moved back with my parents in a different country. Needless to say this is where the truest form of healing has occurred. I became somewhat of a recluse and spent all my time praying or reading and have drifted from alot of life long friends because I could not handle drinking. For one it made me miss my husband terribly and two it did not agree with me.

I now realize that God has me in the perfect place away from my old life and the happy hours and dinners. As off two weeks ago I finally realized that drinking is a big NO NO (for me) I have been doing great on my taper and I have so much peace in my without the alcohol.

I should be headed back home in 2 months so until then I am not having a drop of alcohol because I am leaving this demon (Ambien) behind me forever :yippee:

Blessed78

@LP tell me bout it I MISS having a cold heineken in my hand down here at the beach just hanging out but i sacrificed it because i really dont want any setbacks but once im off i do plan to drink again someday....I did use to drink a lot before this whole process began...but now i juss wanna be an occasional drinker lk a NORMAL person lol @ blessed I too live in Miami so u know how it is down here, its nothing but partyin all the time so it kinda depresses me seein everyone goin out n me goin through this but i guess god does work in mysterious ways cuz i was drinkin a lot n other drugs n since this happened im off everything but this valium im tapering, oh well im juss goin take Roberts advice once all my s/x subside and im off this evil drug and just go lil by lil if my body can tolerate it....Thanks for the info guys much appreciated  :)

That does make one sound like an alcoholic.  :laugh:

It does, but the reality is that alcohol is a drug and one serving of wine contains about the same amount of alcohol as a beer or a shot so despite the fact that it sounds better to say wine it is probably going to do the same thing as the hard stuff as far as your WD is concerned.

I can't drink beer or wine due to something in them that triggers my menieres symptoms, but hard liquor seems to be ok. I never drink more than an ounce or two, so i'm not terribly worried. I can't even remember the last time i got buzzed or hungover.

On the flip side of that, beer really messes me up. It took me a long time to realize that but I finally switched to vodka and the difference is night and day. I could feel terrible off of two beer but with a decent vodka I could party the night away and feel fine the next day.

I decided to have my few beers when I go out next weekend.  I just feel like I have deprived myself of so much, that I will atleast try and see what happens.  I am not a major drinker either.  I would drink once a week if that.  I will keep you updated on how it works for me.  Keep your fingers crossed, I am going to enjoy.

I am somewhere between cupcakes comments and Holly,LOL 

Stay away, or test... Holly let me know sista!

Well I had one drink last night at a birthday party... I reacted very well to it, and slept like a baby  :)

Beer snob here.

Heck yeah. A beer or ten really would taste good right now. But I'm an alcoholic, and considering the state I am presently in, drinking alcohol would be a 100% fiasco: there would be WILD drunkenness, likely blackout, some possible dumb sh-t, and then the W/D, which might likely turn to D/Ts.

Alcohol is supposed to aggravate our poor little receptors/ligands. (YEAH! I remembered that word; will now work on that one that refers to a snakepit, which is gonna show up in a crossword pretty soon. Sure of it.)

Drinking's supposed to--anecdotal accounts recalled here--cause them to downregulate en masse, so if you, or anyone, has tendencies to drink too much, especially when extra-nervous, as in social situations, I wouldnt do it.

Old lady (45); just sayin--

Peace and wellness to all here.

jd