Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Over this whole situation

[Wy...]

Hello.  I am a healthcare worker with a past history of bad child abuse, and the awful depression and anxiety that comes with it.  I was prescribed Klonopin by a doctor as a way of dealing with panic attacks and the stress of my job, dealing with the Covid outbreak in NY at my job etc...I knew benzos were addictive, but assumed that I would be fine on the dose I was on.  I was very responsible taking them, never taking more than prescribed etc...  I noticed my memory was getting worse and worse, I felt completely zoned at times, almost like I was sleepwalking through my days.  I finally decided to try to taper and it's been miserable.  I was hoping to come here to better educate myself and maybe get some solid tips from others of something that I might not have thought to try.  Thank you for hearing me out. 

Hi WyllowDaemon

Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

I'm so glad you're here, but sorry you're having such a difficult time. Just know you are not alone and many of us had no idea what these pills could do to you. The symptoms you describe are very typical for benzo's and it's good you decided to taper. Hopefully we can help you make your taper more manageable. What was your original dose of Klonopin, what is your current dose and how have you been tapering?

Generally we recommend cuts of no more than 5-10% of each new dose every two weeks or so, but it's best to let your symptoms guide your taper rate. This should allow you to remain functional while you taper.

Here are some links to get you started:

Colorado Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidance

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper)

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

Add your history/signature

Please look around and let us know how we can help you!

Good for you! Welcome to the team and the fight. Klonopin made me a rage machine... just remember that the slow taper isnt completely pain free but it can be tolerable and survivable and the success rate of recovery is very high!

• 2 weeks later...

I went from  .5 twice a day, to .5 a day, now I am at .25 a day and I feel horrid.  My sleep is ******.  I have tried benadryl, melatonin, herbal / naturopath recommended supplements.  I am at a loss.  Surprisingly, the herbal stuff I have had the greatest success with, which I would have never guessed, but it's still spotty.  My anxiety is bad, especially before work and I swear at times I have seen things out of the edges of my vision, distortions or minor hallucinations.  I have had heart palpitations, but I have a congenital defect so I am unsure if the detox is causing it, either way I know I need to see a doctor.  What a hellish experience.

Edit: Profanity

I'm not sure of your tapering timeline and if you went straight from 0.5mg to 0.25mg but I think you're tapering too fast. As I suggested in my original post it's best to stick to a symptoms based taper even it takes longer. If your symptoms are very tough you can consider going back up in dose otherwise you can hold this dose until you stabilize and then slooowly go down. I also tapered K and I know how tough it can be. Hang in there and remember it's a marathon not a race.  :smitten: